Loving Low Carb

OP, come back in a month or two and tell us how you liking it. my experience was first two weeks - i loved it. 3rd and 4th, i wanted to give it more time. After a month - I was ready to go back to normal eating (which for me is no processed foods, I almost never eat out and all I cook is whole foods using real produce). I really had no weight to loose either (6'1" @190lbs). There's just something about low carb/keto that is difficult for me and doesn't really make it feel right. Hopefully you'll have a better experience.

Presuming normal cholesterol metabolism, which is not a given, only about 20% of your total cholesterol comes from dietary cholesterol. Your body makes about 80% all on its own.
I need to add a caveat pertaing to animal fat and the cholesterol that comes with it. It has been shown that animal fat intake increase insulin resistance. This is the last thing anybody who has a metabolic disorders or anyone who wants to lose weight needs. Fat from plants does not have this insulin resistance increasing effect. A prediabetic or diabetic or anybody who wants to lose weight would better off avoiding animal fat. Eat only lean meat and fish, stick with the harder cheeses, use EVOO, and eat nuts and seeds for healthier fat intake. That said, I like my occasionsl ribeye!

Last edited:
I am diabetic. Eating low carb brought my A1C down from 15+ (YIKES!) to 6.1. Bad cholesterol also dropped drastically. Keeping with the program is the difficult part for me.
My last A1C was 7. Before that always low 6's so doc upped my metformin and I started reducing carbs. I'm guessing I was more pre-diabetic because I really didn't watch what I was eating like I am now and always stayed below 6.5. I did stop drinking pop the minute I found out I was diabetic and slowed down on potatoes, rice, bread, pasta etc...

One of the issues has always been my wife isn't diabetic and I do all the cooking and I just couldn't bring myself to deprive her of the foods she likes. So what I did was use my meter to figure out just how much I could get away with and keep in under 140. Now she is more on board with the carbs. I have been re-learning how to cook. I will say I have used the "What are you eating right now" thread for ideas, thanks and keep them coming.

The struggle is real

Humans were never meant to eat as many carbs and especially the refined carbs most of us eat today. Evolution has not kept up with the ways our lives have changed from when we first emerged. Back then we needed sugary fruit for survival. There is a connection between dopamine and addiction. Consuming sugar reieases dopamine. Dopamine makes us feel good. It's a downward spiral towards metabolic disorders, fatty liver, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure.
Thank the food triangle for that. Carbs are low cost.

My last A1C was 7. Before that always low 6's so doc upped my metformin and I started reducing carbs. I'm guessing I was more pre-diabetic because I really didn't watch what I was eating like I am now and always stayed below 6.5. I did stop drinking pop the minute I found out I was diabetic and slowed down on potatoes, rice, bread, pasta etc...

One of the issues has always been my wife isn't diabetic and I do all the cooking and I just couldn't bring myself to deprive her of the foods she likes. So what I did was use my meter to figure out just how much I could get away with and keep in under 140. Now she is more on board with the carbs. I have been re-learning how to cook. I will say I have used the "What are you eating right now" thread for ideas, thanks and keep them coming.

The struggle is real
Diabetes creeps up on you from years of eating high carbs, Carbs and sugar are pretty much the same as far as raising the insulin levels.

What I have found regarding my own personal experience with diets is that every body is different and will react different no matter who's plan you follow or what foods you eat. The down side to any diets is most do not stick with it for 3-6 (12months IMHO is the best) months and carefully making notes about changes to see if the new diet is actually working or creating other less desirable effects. These day it is even easier because we can now get our own blood work without having to go through a doctor which can really help to evaluate diets and the effect it has on our body.

i would assume eating alot of healthy fats would be benefitial but alot do eat alot of red fatty meats that causes bad cholesterol and high triglycerides

That's a myth that's been debunked countless times by several reputable sources.
It's not animal foods that cause those things, it's all the junk people eat along with their animal proteins and animal fats.

High carb diets are notorious for causing elevated triglycerides.

Laugh all you want. I've been around for quite a while and have seen it from many reputable sources.
That's the hard reality of it whether you want to accept it or not.
I didn't for years until I got fed up with carrying around stupid looking visceral fat and this was the only thing that changed it.

Last edited:
The other day in the grocery store, as I walked down a whole aisle devoted to frozen desserts like ice cream, I realized how set so many people are on the high carb diet. And people who eat the sugar free ice creams that contain things like sugar alcohols aren't much better off.

It has been shown that animal fat intake increase insulin resistance. This is the last thing anybody who has a metabolic disorders or anyone who wants to lose weight needs. Fat from plants does not have this insulin resistance increasing effect. A prediabetic or diabetic or anybody who wants to lose weight would better off avoiding animal fat. Eat only lean meat and fish, stick with the harder cheeses, use EVOO, and eat nuts and seeds for healthier fat intake. That said, I like my occasionsl ribeye!
Nonsense. Dr Jason Fung doesn't mention anything about this and as far as I'm concerned he's the man to check with about anything to do with weight loss, IF, autophagy, or IR.

Last edited:
OP, come back in a month or two and tell us how you liking it. my experience was first two weeks - i loved it. 3rd and 4th, i wanted to give it more time. After a month - I was ready to go back to normal eating (which for me is no processed foods, I almost never eat out and all I cook is whole foods using real produce). I really had no weight to loose either (6'1" @190lbs). There's just something about low carb/keto that is difficult for me and doesn't really make it feel right. Hopefully you'll have a better experience.
I think I'm good with this for long term.
I was like an addict for fruit. I used to be that way about beer but I stopped it.
I bought a pkg of blueberries yesterday that I froze and will eat no more than about 4 berries 2 or 3x a week. I feel better burning fats instead of carbs and I'm learning more about Dr Fung on his forums. Plus I can do OMAD now easily, and my food bill is less, not only because I eat less foods, but because I'm no longer pigging out on fruit. (Fruit can be expensive if you eat a lot of it).
Low carb foods, IMO taste better than high carb foods. I've been on every way of eating there ever was in the last 40 years. I was on LCHF in the 80s because then it was all I could tolerate. Now I eat LCHF because I believe I'm truly better off eating this way. My moods improved, my sleep improved, I lost and am losing visceral fat, my food bill is less, foods taste better, and there are probably other reasons. My mouth waters when I eat now because I rediscovered my real hunger. I can now do OMAD which has improved my hormones and enabled me to stop eating without gorging.
LCHF / keto + OMAD are a great combination. I've done OMAD for most of 4 years now.

Last edited:
Yup. Wife and I go though normally a dozen a week.

I also eat a lot of avocadoes. I love guacamole.
Avocadoes don't seem to make me gain weight as much as sour cream and home made mayo seem to.
I have to really limit sour cream and mayo or it will make me gain belly / visceral fat.

This thread is like reading the threads on recommendation for oil....everyone has there opinions and information to support their idea's but few actually do oil testing through out an engines life to actually see what true values are.

This is the same I have come to learn from a majority on all forms of media and even in the real world for diets. Prior me being able to get a blood test anytime I wanted it was a every 2 year thing. Now if I want to see a specific results based on something new we are eating I can get a specific target blood test or a 6 month full blood test.

I am here to tell you for me personally it has allowed us to find food that support my specific body and the area's that are and could be of concern.
When made adjustments could seen a blood test generally 3-6 months and generally indicates a step in the correct direction.
NO DIET is a fast cure on the human body. It does not work that way.

My doctor even disagrees with how I choose my eating habits but says "well its seem to be working for you". I say yes it does DOC, poking at his growing fat around his waist.... :ROFLMAO:

Strict keto is Then there are still people who eat up to 100g of carbs a day and still benefit from it.
cholesterol is important, only misinformed doctors think it is harmful. have read on this topic.
without cholesterol , brain damage and death. literally a cell membrane build block..

ancel keys been "studying" fats on herbivore animals (feeding meat food), and with his sketchy data he pushed hard to go into war with meat and fats... (kellogs business pushed hard too)

for 100 years we had on sale low fat products and seed oils, margarines, and every md has been parroting that meat is bad.
guess what-civilization diseases keep increasing....

quite eye opener. good channel too.

we are hunter-gatherers, even the gastric system and acid strength is greater than some predators.... slap in face argument to veganism.
lots of ex-vegans which had health problems after some yers, came into carnivore group... their problems fixed.. https://www.youtube.com/c/SteakandButterGal ,mikhaila peterson, etc..

we are hunter-gatherers, even the gastric system and acid strength is greater than some predators.... slap in face argument to veganism.
lots of ex-vegans which had health problems after some yers, came into carnivore group... their problems fixed..
Hmm well I guess I must be the exception as I have been one since 1982. That is before many on this thread were even born? LOL

And I am sure that if more details were outlined we would find that there were more circumstances to why some VEGAN/Vegetarians had health issues from that lifestyle of eating. And returning to their old diet may not have really supported any condition claimed from eating Vegan/vegetarian.

I want to know how Temple Grandin reported only eating yogurt and jello early on in her teen and adult life? :ROFLMAO:

I started a LC diet a few weeks ago. After a few days I started feeling better. Lost a pound a day so far. My Wife is also on board which makes it much easier. I am about 50-60 lbs overweight. I bounced off being 300lbs. a month ago. I panicked and lost 10 lbs right away. I am 6'2" and pretty husky build. Stopped smoking 2 years ago. I don't hardly consume any alcohol. Maybe a beer a week if that. I probably am walking 5 miles a day total. Going to start slowly on a better exercise plan. I can't afford to have an injury so I plan on taking it easy.

Back