Love's stations selling E-15 - no 87, just 88/89/91.

I stopped for gas at the Love's in Pacific Junction, IA (south of Council Bluffs on I-29) last night and noticed that their base octane was 88 rather than 87, and there was a small E15 warning label on some pumps, but not the first one I pulled up to (in addition to an E10 label, but it was unclear to which type each referred - see top right for that contradiction). The 88 octane, ostensibly E15, was priced the same as E10 at the BP across the street, and there was no 87 available at all. I asked at the register and none of three clerks were sure or aware of any change. These were one-hose dispensers (well, two with diesel), and marked exceedingply poorly, with little indication that the fuels were not as expected. The signage, price and otherwise, just referred to the fuel (the 88) as "UNLEADED" (in contrast to Casey's, Kwik Trip etc. which market "Unleaded 88" (which is used to mean E-15)). Anyone know what's up? They seem to be a solid company and I've happily used them over other options but I'm not keen on the idea of paying the same price for their E-15 as the competition's E-10, or on the idea of it being a "silent" change that most people probably won't even notice based on how poorly it was marked. I later checked a couple GasBuddy pages for some other Love's stores in Iowa and folks mentioned that these stations were the same (Clive, Davenport and Ellsworth). I'll make a point to check other locations as I come across them, but will preferentially fuel up other places from now out if they do this at other locations. Has anyone noticed this or anything similar?

IMG_9603.jpeg

E15 is all label as super 88 or unleaded 88 in the DSM metro gas stations. I'm not sure about the loves in the area though.

Iowa still requires a label stating the fuel contains ethanol (which is that little green and white label) but it's a little murky if they require a specific label for E15. I'm guessing that is a mistake on the pump in your picture. 88 octane is definitely E15 and Iowa tried to pass legislation to remove the E15 labeling requirement but it did not pass.

Iowa still requires a label stating the fuel contains ethanol (which is that little green and white label) but it's a little murky if they require a specific label for E15. I'm guessing that is a mistake on the pump in your picture. 88 octane is definitely E15 and Iowa tried to pass legislation to remove the E15 labeling requirement but it did not pass.

The E15 gas pumps around here have stickers saying to use it only in 2001 or newer vehicles. I thought that was a Federal requirement.

(Sometimes I forget that my Nissan Frontier isn't a 2001. It's a 1998. But when you get older all those years just sorta run together...and I put E15 in it).

The E15 gas pumps around here have stickers saying to use it only in 2001 or newer vehicles. I thought that was a Federal requirement.
There is but there's also an NPRM to remove that requirement. Part of the Iowa legislation was dependent on the finalization of that rule.

I stopped for gas at the Love's in Pacific Junction, IA (south of Council Bluffs on I-29) last night and noticed that their base octane was 88 rather than 87, and there was a small E15 warning label on some pumps, but not the first one I pulled up to (in addition to an E10 label, but it was unclear to which type each referred - see top right for that contradiction). The 88 octane, ostensibly E15, was priced the same as E10 at the BP across the street, and there was no 87 available at all. I asked at the register and none of three clerks were sure or aware of any change. These were one-hose dispensers (well, two with diesel), and marked exceedingply poorly, with little indication that the fuels were not as expected. The signage, price and otherwise, just referred to the fuel (the 88) as "UNLEADED" (in contrast to Casey's, Kwik Trip etc. which market "Unleaded 88" (which is used to mean E-15)). Anyone know what's up? They seem to be a solid company and I've happily used them over other options but I'm not keen on the idea of paying the same price for their E-15 as the competition's E-10, or on the idea of it being a "silent" change that most people probably won't even notice based on how poorly it was marked. I later checked a couple GasBuddy pages for some other Love's stores in Iowa and folks mentioned that these stations were the same (Clive, Davenport and Ellsworth). I'll make a point to check other locations as I come across them, but will preferentially fuel up other places from now out if they do this at other locations. Has anyone noticed this or anything similar?

View attachment 95178
You were within 5 miles of my house, I live in Glenwood!
I've never gotten gas there, but have at the BP a few times. Sometimes I drive out there for Chester's Chicken. :)

You were within 5 miles of my house, I live in Glenwood!
I've never gotten gas there, but have at the BP a few times. Sometimes I drive out there for Chester's Chicken. :)
Neat! I’ve explored Glenwood and the surrounding area a few times and always found it to be a nice town, with a pretty vibrant downtown/square to boot. County L35 is a great drive, as well.

Neat! I’ve explored Glenwood and the surrounding area a few times and always found it to be a nice town, with a pretty vibrant downtown/square to boot. County L35 is a great drive, as well.
I like Glenwood, moved here in 1984. Lot's of scenic, back roads to drive.
They keep building more houses, though I guess they call that "progress"

If I wanted to live in CB or Omaha, I would have moved there in the first place!
Call me a grumpy old man. ;)

There is but there's also an NPRM to remove that requirement. Part of the Iowa legislation was dependent on the finalization of that rule.
You know you're getting the good stuff when they pass a law banning the listing of ingredients. :cautious:

Back