Lottery winner murdered

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Anybody else see this?

http://www.people.com/article/georgia-lo...ebook_peoplemag

Quote:
A Georgia man who won the lottery last month was shot and murdered in his home Thursday night, PEOPLE confirms.

Craigory Burch Jr., 20, of Fitzgerald, Georgia, was at home with his girlfriend when an intruder allegedly came into his home and killed him. Police tell PEOPLE may have been connected to Burch’s recent winnings:

"It’s hard to say but I’m sure it’s a big indicator," Col. John Bishop of the Ben Hill County Sheriff’s Office tells PEOPLE.

Speaking to local media, Burch’s girlfriend, Jasmine Hendricks, said a shotgun blast blew open the door before three armed men in masks ran in.

"When they came in, he said, 'Don’t do it bro. Don’t do it in front of my kids,'" Hendricks said.

Burch allegedly offered to give them his wallet and bankcard; however, the intruders allegedly shot and killed him before fleeing, police say.

011010000.jpg

I saw that a few days ago. Sad really and **if** I ever won a lottery, it would be completely anonymous.

I know I wouldn't be photographed with a lotto check and my name on it. Kind of inviting trouble. I'd contact an attorney to claim the prize anonymously. But not something a 20 year old thinks about.

Not usually a good idea to widely advertise that you've come into a huge sum of money. Don't most state lotteries have an option for big prize winners to remain anonymous?

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Not usually a good idea to widely advertise that you've come into a huge sum of money. Don't most state lotteries have an option for big prize winners to remain anonymous?

Yes, but it's good PR/advertising for the lotto commission to post this type of stuff in the newspaper and online to promote ticket sales.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

Not in Missouri. They have to announce the winner's name but it's optional to have a photo or press conference (which I'd recommend skipping).

That's very unfortunate, Can't be taking pictures and going around bragging about it, that's for sure.

$434K is really not that much money to commit murder.

Some hood rats probably thought he had Rolexes, gold bling with diamonds, cash, etc... inside the house. Bad idea to pose in lottery promo photo.

If I ever won a large lottery....I would hope to be anonymous....otherwise I would have tons of friends and non-friends at my door regularly.

Another option would be to do a legal name change and move to another area.

It sounds like the victim may have known the perps.
Perhaps he owed them and they were [censored] about not getting paid when the vic clearly had the money to cover his debt?
We'll likely find out, since all it takes is for one of the perps to be arrested for anything.
He'll then spill his guts on his co-defendants to get a walk on the murder.

The poor guy should have moved to a better town with his winnings...Fitzgerald has nearly 1/3 of its residents under the poverty line. Not a good place to be when people know you have some money.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I know I wouldn't be photographed with a lotto check and my name on it. Kind of inviting trouble. I'd contact an attorney to claim the prize anonymously. But not something a 20 year old thinks about.

Won't work..you are required to do it publicly. An attorney can't do it for you. Part of the fine print for their publicity.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Some hood rats probably thought he had Rolexes, gold bling with diamonds, cash, etc... inside the house. Bad idea to pose in lottery promo photo.

That's about $433,900 more than some have been killed for.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

There is something very wrong with our present younger generation of society, or even society in general. It is as if life is not valued.

Somebody stole a snow brush this morning from my house, but you don't see me murdering whoever I think did it..

Originally Posted By: Brasileno
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

There is something very wrong with our present younger generation of society, or even society in general. It is as if life is not valued.

Somebody stole a snow brush this morning from my house, but you don't see me murdering whoever I think did it..

Why would you have a snow brush in LA? Or is that perhaps a bit of a GHT slip of the tongue?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
If I ever won a large lottery....I would hope to be anonymous....otherwise I would have tons of friends and non-friends at my door regularly.

Another option would be to do a legal name change and move to another area.

The problem is that due to accountability, they are required to reveal the winner of any lottery.

They are developing a solution in which a person can sacrifice 25% of their winnings to remain 100% anonymous.

Persons have remained essentially anonymous with regards to lottery winnings before.

Although winner's names are public information, unless you participate in the press conference, you will not be truly exposed.

Someone would have to look up the winner's name, and match it to a specific person without any detailed information or photo.

Many lottery winners have remained anonymous just because they never told anyone. Their friends and neighbors remained oblivious for years.

There is also nothing stopping a person from having a representative collect the winnings, pay the taxes, and either transfer or become a trust for the winnings. This has been done many times by people. Lotteries have no choice but to pay the winnings to the presenter of the ticket. If I show up and claim the prize, it is not their business if I have a legally binding agreement to hand that money over to someone else.

Lotteries may have certain rules in place to try to prevent that, but they have no way of enforcing that. If I were a representative, once the money is mine, it is mine to use any way I want to or am obligated to by legal debt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back