Lost cost, spray-on rust prevention

I use fluid film by the gallon and got a cheapo rustproofing spray gun that runs off my air compressor.

I have a quick-jack (tm) so I can crawl around under the car, but you can do it on ramps. The stuff aerosolizes and gets in my hair, on my glasses, and probably in my lungs. A respirator/ kn95 might be a good idea.

Initial application might take 1/2 to 2/3 gallon, after that, annual touch-ups are 1/3 gallon or so. I really try to hit all the nooks and crannies of control arms and other suspension parts. Found some plugs in my rocker panels so I pulled those and hit everything inside as well. Peel back any plastic fender liners and try to get in back of them. For the ambitious they make little extension hoses you can thread all the way down your rockers if you so choose.

I think my FF washes away by midwinter in the high splash areas. By my math my car will rust out in 30 years, not 15, so that's cool.

I still have a half a bucket of FF, and the air sprayer gear. It's a good way to go, but as said, it does wash off fast. I used to pull out the sprayer and do touchups in the middle of winter, in the wheel wheels (or maybe I just used the spray cans, don't remember now).

I have (had?) one of the paper(?) painters suits that I would put on so as to spray mine. Still got all over my glasses and in my face. Probably should wear a respirator too.

I spray Fluid Film in the inner panels and inner areas I can reach, and it stays there forever. In fact, I just looked under my Jeep JY and found a new puddle. I thought, “what now,” but soon realized the 100+degree weather caused my FF to spread again, leaking from a drain hole. Last time I did the frame was 2 years ago.

My son’s 2000 Camry had its last application 2 years ago as well, and I still see a dirt line on the door bottoms when he comes to visit. He rarely washes his cars, so the FF creeps out and attracts dirt.

I do spray areas that I see rust forming on the suspension, body mounts, etc. when I am under the car, but I don’t go heavy, as it just washes off. It’s the insides of body panels top and bottom that I am most concerned about, as I can change replaceable parts that rust, or sand and paint them. I pull plugs, bolts, lights, etc and spray inside the cavities with the hose extension you can get on Amazon that fits the cans.

3-4 cans will cover a car well enough

I use fluid film by the gallon and got a cheapo rustproofing spray gun that runs off my air compressor.

I have a quick-jack (tm) so I can crawl around under the car, but you can do it on ramps. The stuff aerosolizes and gets in my hair, on my glasses, and probably in my lungs. A respirator/ kn95 might be a good idea.

Initial application might take 1/2 to 2/3 gallon, after that, annual touch-ups are 1/3 gallon or so. I really try to hit all the nooks and crannies of control arms and other suspension parts. Found some plugs in my rocker panels so I pulled those and hit everything inside as well. Peel back any plastic fender liners and try to get in back of them. For the ambitious they make little extension hoses you can thread all the way down your rockers if you so choose.

I think my FF washes away by midwinter in the high splash areas. By my math my car will rust out in 30 years, not 15, so that's cool.
This is a good point. Spraying these products makes a lot of mist and it gets onto everything.

That’s why the wands are so important. Get the spray into places where it needs to be and less escaping out in the ambient.

CRC Corrosion Inhibitor. No greasy mess and you can still wash the underside of your vehicle without washing it off.

XdQDfmP.jpg

I made the mistake of falling for Ziebarts rustproofing scam. It's a rubberized coating and all it does is trap moisture and destroy everything. My truck frame is now a pile of rust and I've been attempting to fix it ever since I discovered I ruined the frame with their "undercoating" garbage. I've spent countless hours scraping the coating off and using rust converters, and now I'm using Surface Shield in an attempt to get some more life out of this thing.

I made the mistake of falling for Ziebarts rustproofing scam. It's a rubberized coating and all it does is trap moisture and destroy everything. My truck frame is now a pile of rust and I've been attempting to fix it ever since I discovered I ruined the frame with their "undercoating" garbage. I've spent countless hours scraping the coating off and using rust converters, and now I'm using Surface Shield in an attempt to get some more life out of this thing.
That is 100% true. I've seen it in person total trash product.. even on brand new car.

Mustie1 on YouTube touts a mix of bar and chain oil and melted toilet bowl rings sprayed on with a Fluid Film gun.

So glad I don't live in the rust belt. I was just under my 27 year old truck yesterday... no rust and never been rust treated.

CRC Corrosion Inhibitor. No greasy mess and you can still wash the underside of your vehicle without washing it off.

XdQDfmP.jpg
Does this product dry up or is there a oily film left??? Will it wash off if cleaning undercarraige with water???

Does this product dry up or is there a oily film left??? Will it wash off if cleaning undercarraige with water???

It dries to a semi-hard finish. You can scrape it off with your fingernail, but normal pressure washing or degreasing does not take it off. It does need touched up here and there, but nowhere near an oil spray or Fluid Film.

Reactions: hrv
It dries to a semi-hard finish. You can scrape it off with your fingernail, but normal pressure washing or degreasing does not take it off. It does need touched up here and there, but nowhere near an oil spray or Fluid Film.
Is it clear or does it have a color to it???

If you choose to hire this out, spend lots of time investigating which product you want and especially be careful to find a good outfit that applies it properly. Lots of hacks out there.

I have no regrets getting my 11 year old Jeep Patriot Krowned annually. Yes, it drips. Yes, it attracts dirt. Yes, I have no rust in salt bath Michigan. I pre-treat all of my exposed rubber door/hood/trunk seals with silicone to help avoid the alleged possible rubber swelling.

If you like squeaky clean vehicle undersides, door jambs, hinge areas, etc., you may be out of luck.

XdQDfmP.jpg
It looks like there are a few different types of CRC corrosion inhibitor, which did you use?

Reactions: hrv
It looks like there are a few different types of CRC corrosion inhibitor, which did you use?
I noticed that too. They make two...one is in a blue can and is heavy duty marine use the other is crc 400..

Just like to add :
It's pretty runny out of the can like Fluid Film ...... so it's able creep . I sprayed the new floor drains that I bought in the basement with it and they stayed wet looking for about a half hour .

Back