Lost a former co worker Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
This past Monday a former co worker of mine passed away from self inflicted suicide. He was for the 4 years I worked with him the best mechanic I had saw. He sadly also was a "functioning alcoholic". Lost his job stealing a state inspection sticker and DUI on company property. He always was half drunk or you know. After he was fired his wife left him along with their two kids. I guess the last 10 years of his life were just too much to bear.

I went to the viewing this morning and saw lots of people that knew him to well

Sorry to be long winded as I hope everyone has a safe and happy weekend
smile.gif

http://www.timesonline.com/obituaries/20180802/william-p-bill-hennessy

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear about your former co-worker. My condolences.

I had an aunt who was an alcoholic. She died of alcohol poisoning.

Last edited:
I was raised by tee totalers. But I've worked beside many "functioning alcoholics" Some of them functioned quite well. Others not so well. Now a days , most employers practice zero tolerance. mostly due to insurance reasons. At the shipyard, a guy caught drunk was often sent to dry out. In days of yore, the local shipyards,figured a gallon of rum per ton into the cost of a ship. Winston Churchill drank a qt of brandy and several huge cigars daily on the job. He didn't get fired until after VE Day.
grin2.gif

Sorry to hear that Car51. My father drank after work and all weekend. Any weekend project started with a beer and ended with a beer until he passed out. I remember a vacation with 2 of his drinking buddies. Packed 20 cases of beer since we were going to water ski in dry state. That was for 1 week.

He ended up taking his life when I was 16. After he was in the Korean War he was never the same. It is sad to see someone you love gone too soon.

Tough story to hear. Dont know your situation because death affects everyone differently but if greif is weighing on you as soon as fins come kind of counsoling or a group of folks to talk about it. My sister held her grief in for months then finally had a breakdown infront of a client because something reminded her of the persion that passed away.

No shame in seeking help and it really does work.

Take care.

Sorry to hear ... absolutly nothing positive comes from alcoholism.

A co-worker of mine (which was later found out to be a major alcoholic) did the same thing. It really surprised and shocked everyone at work since he seemed to be the most upbeat guy in the world.

Sorry to hear that, my condolences.

Suicide is horrific. In my Dad's case, I wonder that if he had a photo of the number of people spilling out the doors of the church he would have played out that day differently.

Sorry! I'm always lost for words involving death. I can only imagine how his children feel?

Awful to lose friends and family. Sorry to hear about this. I lost 3 friends in 2017, including my very closest friend. It hits hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back