A co-worker has really bad body odor

Keep in mind, some of the smell people have,is directly related to the food or garbage they eat in each day.

Agree. with RazorsEdge comment above. I worked with an Asian gentleman who was meticulous in his dress and manors etc. I would gag when I came near him eating in the lunchroom because it smelled of rancid vomit. I just give him his space.

There's more ground to cover.
Keep in mind, some of the smell people have,is directly related to the food or garbage they eat in each day.
A person's diet also affects the smell of their uhm droppings. On the trail, you can tell predator droppings from herbivore droppings very easily. Nothing smells worse than mountain lion scat while rabbit pellets have a grassy odor. I know someone will accuse me of having a strange hobby. I'm just a keen observer with a well-developed sense of smell. 🙃

Glad that I am the recruiting manager in my office, if you show up to an interview and you stink- you do not stand a chance at getting hired. Almost as bad, people that wear cologne. A tiny tiny bit is fine i guess, but some people freaking bathe in the stuff. Once had a guy with a PERFECT resume and work background show up to an interview wearing so much cologne that my eyes hurt. Cut the interview short and told him that I wanted to get him in front of the President of the company but his cologne was ridiculous. He never came back🤣

The last company I worked for used to send out anonymous emails to the whole office directed at whoever kept taking a dump on the floor in the women's bathroom. I don't know if she ever stopped or if they ever figured out who it was but it was funny to read all the different ways they would try to eloquently say to please stop pooping on the floor.

I work at a blue collar union job and one of my co-workers smells really bad. This person works swing shift and his shifts overlaps with dayshift. I work dayshift and I we are in the same area for about an hour before I go home. This guy is probably 6’5 300+. This person stinks up the whole breakroom when he‘s at work. When we come into work in the morning, the chair he sat in the night before is impregnated with his stench. Dayshift told the morning supervisor about this issue, swingshift told evening supervisor about the issue. The weather hasn’t been above 50 degrees until recently. It been a cold winter and spring here. If this person has body odor when it’s cold out, I can’t imagine how he will smell during the summer months. It makes you gag walking into the breakroom when he’s working. One of the supervisors took him aside and talked to him. From what we heard is he’s claiming a medical condition for the body odor. I guess HR is now involved and we will see what happens next.

If a person does have a medical condition, does the other 90 workers have to suffer with his body odor?
At my workplace we had a co worker like this. He had cats, never took care of them. Reeked of cat pee, body odor and just horrible smell. Customer turned him in; and same day he was terminated. Didn’t help that county health agency knew about him to begin with.

I told the story here of starting a couple's dead Volvo a few years ago.

They loved me and told me I could use the bathroom during my work stint even if they were out.

They had 16 cats and the house was absolutely unenterable. The air inside came out and hit you like a wall of piercing, crippling odor.

Fortunately they lived near woods so you know what I did.

What's relevent to this thread is the question, "Wouldn't they smell from their clothing alone?"

There's more ground to cover.

A person's diet also affects the smell of their uhm droppings. On the trail, you can tell predator droppings from herbivore droppings very easily. Nothing smells worse than mountain lion scat while rabbit pellets have a grassy odor. I know someone will accuse me of having a strange hobby. I'm just a keen observer with a well-developed sense of smell. 🙃
I worked at the Zoo one summer . Rhinoceros poop . Wow ....

Back when I had my grocery store gig many moons ago, there was a cute blonde country girl who developed BO. Turns out, her medication caused her to sweat excessively.

Not saying this is the same case, (doesn’t appear to be?) but be careful how you proceed.

The last company I worked for used to send out anonymous emails to the whole office directed at whoever kept taking a dump on the floor in the women's bathroom. I don't know if she ever stopped or if they ever figured out who it was but it was funny to read all the different ways they would try to eloquently say to please stop pooping on the floor.

Very sick.

body odor+ bad breath are a lot about your diet, mainly gut health barring obvious cleanliness.

Many moons ago I tried my hand at internet dating. Found a girl who I knew was too good to be true. Former professional cheerleader and still had the looks, heck she was a perfect ten as they say. Went on to get her MBA and held a prestigious role at a bank.

Went to meet her for dinner at a restaurant. I misjudged which car was hers and parked quite a distance away. She recognized me and started walking toward me. Her photos didn’t do her justice, in real life she was absolutely stunning in her beauty. She could have made an easy living being a model.

When she was about twenty feet away she smiled and greeted me. And that’s when I learned that she was too good to be true— her breath stunk so bad I could smell it from where I was.

The most awkward dinner of my life followed, I’ll never forget it, I leaned back to keep away from her and I could hardly eat. Without lying, I explained that I had a stomach ache coming on and thus only ate bread and salad. This woman’s breath was absolutely unbearable and I didn’t have the heart to say anything. I was much younger and less wise back then; I’m not sure how I’d handle that today.

I have a friend who’s a dentist and I asked him about it. His guess was she either had chronic halitosis or a damaged and infected tooth that she was unaware of.

Many moons ago I tried my hand at internet dating. Found a girl who I knew was too good to be true. Former professional cheerleader and still had the looks, heck she was a perfect ten as they say. Went on to get her MBA and held a prestigious role at a bank.

Went to meet her for dinner at a restaurant. I misjudged which car was hers and parked quite a distance away. She recognized me and started walking toward me. Her photos didn’t do her justice, in real life she was absolutely stunning in her beauty. She could have made an easy living being a model.

When she was about twenty feet away she smiled and greeted me. And that’s when I learned that she was too good to be true— her breath stunk so bad I could smell it from where I was.

The most awkward dinner of my life followed, I’ll never forget it, I leaned back to keep away from her and I could hardly eat. Without lying, I explained that I had a stomach ache coming on and thus only ate bread and salad. This woman’s breath was absolutely unbearable and I didn’t have the heart to say anything. I was much younger and less wise back then; I’m not sure how I’d handle that today.

I have a friend who’s a dentist and I asked him about it. His guess was she either had chronic halitosis or a damaged and infected tooth that she was unaware of.

Maybe dry mouth ?

Live with it and breath through your nose when he is around. Can't be any worse than when someone reheats fish or cheese in the break room microwave. Only in this country are we so obsessed with odors.
You couldn't be more wrong. Only someone who never had to work in close proximity to a person all day who really smells would say some like that. HR made a weak attempt but was afraid to be firm so everyone else suffered. One of the reasons I pulled the plug earlier than I wanted.

Back