Loose Lug Nuts

Me, and it was my fault. I did my brakes not long ago. I have some medical issues that make bending, sitting, lifting, sneezing, and sometimes even farting, quite painful. I got to my last wheel and just about couldn't finish because I was in so much pain. Lifting that wheel and tire (a Nitto Recon Grappler onto a 20" wheel) onto the studs finished me. I was past the point of pain. I started the lug nuts on by hand snugged them down just barely impact tight, no pressure at all, just took up all of the slack. Removed the jack stands, dropped and moved the jack, and never thought about torqueing the lug nuts on.

Next day drove a good bit. Something started feeling funny. Went and looked at the front tires to see if I saw any obvious issues, and 2 of my lug nuts were hanging on by about 2 threads and all the others were loose. Tightened them up and got ol' Mr torque wrench on them as soon as I got to the house. I was so embarrassed and mad at myself.

I had one front and one back lug nut come off my Escape, don’t know how or why but it’s happened the wheel hadn’t been off for awhile maybe I missed them the time before on the torque. Just got new ones and replaced them and have never thought about it again till now lol.
I got tires on my Escape in about 2013 and the next time I went to rotate them the jackass that spun the nuts on on spun them on so tight that I BROKE A STUD OFF trying to get it off with my impact. Probably a bad stud to begin with, but I did hit the rest with a little oil and let them sit before I broke them loose.

Me, and it was my fault. I did my brakes not long ago. I have some medical issues that make bending, sitting, lifting, sneezing, and sometimes even farting, quite painful. I got to my last wheel and just about couldn't finish because I was in so much pain. Lifting that wheel and tire (a Nitto Recon Grappler onto a 20" wheel) onto the studs finished me. I was past the point of pain. I started the lug nuts on by hand snugged them down just barely impact tight, no pressure at all, just took up all of the slack. Removed the jack stands, dropped and moved the jack, and never thought about torqueing the lug nuts on.

Next day drove a good bit. Something started feeling funny. Went and looked at the front tires to see if I saw any obvious issues, and 2 of my lug nuts were hanging on by about 2 threads and all the others were loose. Tightened them up and got ol' Mr torque wrench on them as soon as I got to the house. I was so embarrassed and mad at myself.

I got tires on my Escape in about 2013 and the next time I went to rotate them the jackass that spun the nuts on on spun them on so tight that I BROKE A STUD OFF trying to get it off with my impact. Probably a bad stud to begin with, but I did hit the rest with a little oil and let them sit before I broke them loose.
I changed my oil Friday, was too "fagged out" had to come up stairs and put the oil in and check my tire PSI today!
Pain doctor in the area got in trouble a while back, my PC took my Pain Pills off of me, off of everybody!
Never failed a piss test, never failed a pill count. AAMOF when I went for a Pill count, I had to hide some of them aside, because I had too many. SOB's make you feel like you're doing something wrong if you mention pain pills.
At least I'd have a decent day when I had them, Now, I'm not worth a dam.

Last edited:
I changed my oil Friday, was too "fagged out" had to come up stairs and put the oil in and check my tire PSI today!
Pain doctor in the area got in trouble a while back, my PC took my Pain Pills off of me, off of everybody!
Never failed a piss test, never failed a pill count. AAMOF when I went for a Pill count, I had to hide some of them aside, because I had too many. SOB's make you feel like you're doing something wrong if you mention pain pills.
I get 20 of those tramadol every 6 months. They aren't worth a piss in the ocean. The good stuff makes me nauseous, but you can't even get the good stuff for a root canal any more.

Mark Twain!

I get 20 of those tramadol every 6 months. They aren't worth a piss in the ocean. The good stuff makes me nauseous, but you can't even get the good stuff for a root canal anymore.

Mark Twain!
Some people it does. Didn't bother me.
I know you can't. Us ones that need them can't get them.

I get 20 of those tramadol every 6 months. They aren't worth a piss in the ocean.

They don't do me any good either. Hydrocodone either.

A fellow was leaving work and friends behind him were honking and waving to him cuz one wheel was wobbling. He never noticed the honks and kept going. Next day he said the wheel fell off. He heard an odd noise but just turned up the radio......
One of my wifes friends wheel almost fell off, really got his attention. To this day he stops and torques all wheels every 100 miles. They live over 1000 miles from us and visit every now and then.
In my 56 years of driving----never, not once. My new boat trailer manual said to retorque after 50 miles also, which I did-they were ok.

Has anyone ever had the Lug Nuts loosen up or fall off after having new tires put on or had the wheel off ?
Was just wondering how common it was
I have first hand knowledge of this happening once to a guy I knew 20 years back. Entire wheel fell off.

Could you elaborate on this a bit? Are you saying that one doctor forced you to give him your personal medication that was prescribed to you by another doctor?

What is "AAMOF"? And what the hell is a, "pill count"? And how could you have "had to many" when they were prescribed to you in the first place?

I've definitely seen in on Military and Airport industrial equipment, but that stuff lives a HARD life under the worst possible conditions

My personal stuff: I want to say a few times with my '08 BMW 3-series... maybe due to the [ever so fragile] alloy wheels and lug bolts (If that's the right term). It's been a minute, but I want to say rechecking touque after ~50 miles was a must.

Back