Loose Lug Nuts

Checking lug nuts is part of preoping trucks, so many cars and pickups have exposed lug nuts nowadays they are easy to keep an eye on.

Never had this happen and don't plan to as I torque everything to spec after I get home from a rotation or other tire appointment. I'm paranoid I guess but I don't ever assume it was done correctly. I will say the majority of the time it's over torqued, I never have found them under torqued.
On the drive wheels, if they are aluminum wheels, the wheel bolts tend to loosen by a 1/4 turn within about 50 miles of driving. I always torque the wheel bolts/ lug nuts right after picking up the car from a tire/wheel job and I torque them again after about 60 -70 miles. After having learned about Torque Seal just yesterday in a thread, I consider applying this product to the wheel bolts/lug nuts. That way I can see at a glance if a bolt/nut has rotated even a fraction of a turn.

Hyundai says 80 lbs of torque but I go about 125lbs and never have a problem (did the same with my Tauruses). But don't use a torque wrench. Go around twice in a star pattern and give them two ugahs when the tire is off the ground. The set it down and give them all another ugah They usually move just a bit the last time.

I don't use an impact wrench. Only lug issue I've ever had is when I did use my impact for tightening for a while and had to replace some studs.

Only time I’ve had loose lug nuts was after a mandatory state safety inspection and it was only on the two wheels that were taken off during the inspection. So much for safety.

Has anyone ever had the Lug Nuts loosen up or fall off after having new tires put on or had the wheel off ?
Was just wondering how common it was
Yep, just a few weeks ago the same thing happened to me. Heard a clunking noise and pulled over and sure enough..

Attachments

• IMG_4314.jpeg
    IMG_4314.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 8
50 miles is the best practice afaik.

On my w126 Mercedes which has long lug bolts, I tighten them and get a dual click, where the torque allows the bolt next to break loose and then the torque wrench catches it. Very strange.

You can hear it here:

Calibrated torque wrench, set to OE spec, and each time I torque to click, the bolt advances a tiny bit and you hear the click, then the wrench clicks. After enough times it doesn’t turn the “slip” bit anymore, it just clicks.

I don’t really know if I’ve overtorqued at that point, but hopefully not.

Maybe I need to clean something on the wheels or lug bolts. The wheels are filthy, I had someone detail the car once and whatever silicone type stuff they put on has stayed on the wheels and catches every spec of dust.

I'm not sure if your video is showing it or not. Your final pull to torque should have the nut turning in motion until you hear the click, then release without the "extra" pull which is human nature. We should be seeing your nut/wrench turning 1/8 to 1/4 turn then click. Your video shows the nuts already at the proper torque (no visible turn of the nut/wrench) and you just keep retorquing it multiple times, which is incorrect.

Is my assessment wrong? Watch minute 4 through 6:30. See how his wrench is turning 1/4 turn+ as the wrench clicks?

And yes, his socket extension can induce a bit of twisting error and I prefer to torque the nuts in 2 or three sets - 50, 75, and then 100 lb. ft.. The first 2 with little to no weight on the wheel (BITOG DIY OCD, not a production garage)

Last edited:
Has anyone ever had the Lug Nuts loosen up or fall off after having new tires put on or had the wheel off ?
Was just wondering how common it was
Three times for me or extended family I've heard of. Twice for me, different cars, and once for extended family. Some wheels you're supposed to retorque after 100ish miles. Often fancier aluminum type wheels, from my recollection but could be wrong. I know after about 100 after a service or rotation I do a quick check with lug wrench. Give a moderate tug so as not to tighten but just make sure they are not super loose. I should probably use a torque wrench but I'm lazy. So, yeah, I'd say always check any time a wheel has been removed within 100ish miles and maybe even again a few hundred later.

Yes, twice, on Prii with aluminum rims and Toyota washer-lugs. Lug threads were in great shape, used a HF tq wrench (and a calibrated elbow). Upped my torque to 95-100 ft-lbs instead of the stock 76. Figure if a M12x1.5 stud on a Saturn can take it, so also can one on a Toyota. Also check torque after 50 miles, and can get a little more on it.

I think the aluminum wheel compresses/ erodes/ "settles", hence the need for retorque. Stamped steel wheels have natural spring and are less fussy.

Anytime you or a tire dealer has a wheel off you should wire brush the studs or bolts,center hub and matching part of the rim.The tire shop should follow the cars recommendations on torque values,no more,no less."You"recheck,tires,rims are a important safety item.To loose,ruins studs and rims,possibly fall off.To tight,stretches the fasteners also causing problems and a future problem changing a flat.50 miles is a good time to recheck.You should not have a problem after this,pretty easy but very important I.M.O.

Back