Swollen lug nuts?

It just happened to a friend's Sienna.
It has a flat tire when they visit.
I tried to help them but I cannot get 2 of the lugnut out.
I tried 21 mm, too small and 22 mm, too big.
One of them I can took it out with 13/16".
I used breaker bar even air tools.
Not getting off.

So, it was towed to the mechanic who installed the tires.
My suggestion to them is to replace all the lugnut on all tires.

Moral of the story, it can happen in a Sienna.

I've replaced the lug nuts on all 3 of my vehicles with solid steel plated replacements. These cheap, crappy, sheet metal capped lug nuts are in the same category as Fix-A-Flat. In that they create nothing but problems when either are used.

It's only a matter of time. And the more temperate of a climate you live in, the faster you will be greeted with problems. Water along with Winter road salt will make the problems with these thing appear both faster, and worse.

Amazon makes it easy to shop for good, quality, fair priced replacements, delivered right to your door.

Replaced mine with a set of Gorillas, as a few of them on my Mustang were beginning to get tight inside the socket. Get them off before they get bad.

“Swollen” is the catch all phrase. In areas where the roads get salted, moisture and salt can get between the shell and actual lug nut. In other areas, hammering from impact a wrench deforms the outer shell. In both cases, an impact wrench is involved. I’ve had to use a cold chisel to cut the outer shells off and then use a smaller socket to get the nuts off.
Buying replacement lug nuts from a tire store or car dealership will get you the same two piece lug nuts.
Again, buy replacements made by Gorilla or McGard.

Again, buy replacements made by Gorilla or McGard.

Dorman offers single-piece lug nuts:

Those failures can make the nuts difficult or impossible to remove, and if they get stuck, removing them usually requires damaging the wheel itself. This Dorman OE FIX replacement matches the OE fit and function but has a one-piece, carbon steel design to prevent similar issues from happening in the future.

21.5? Very interesting!!
59023_media_01_2048x.jpg

It requires a 3-in extension to work. I have this on a 24" breaker bar in my truck in case I get a flat.

The Sienna ended up with a nail in the sidewall this weekend. I took the vehicle to Discount Tire to get the tire replaced under the road hazard warranty. Exact replacement was in stock. Everything went well. No issues there. However the counter guy said the lug nuts were getting swollen and I should think about replacing them at some point. They are a bit scratched up for sure but don’t look swollen. I have heard of this happening but never actually seen it before. I’m thinking this maybe a new upsell tactic. Pics of all four rims attached for reference.
This happened on my 11 Avalon and my 2010 RX 350. Heard it was common, especially in the salt belt with the Toyota nuts.
You can get them on RA usually.

Pretty common for Toyota lug nuts - though 35K seems VERY early for this to happen. The chrome cap distorts.

I personally think this issue is exacerbated by chain shops who use worn-out sockets.
Exactly! They also do not seat the socket fully on the nut causing distortion while the impact them - too many times for me by Discount Tire

Back