Looks like new Pennzoil Full Synthetic is just Shell RGT

I called the Shell help line a few weeks ago, and the guy who answered told me that RGT was "99%" Pennzoil Platinum, with the only difference being that RGT had a few extra "detergents" (his words). He said they were not going to come up with an entirely new line of motor oil for that.

EDIT: RGT 0w20 is also Dexos1 Gen2.

Last edited:
Also interesting, if it is the same as RGT, that Shell is marketing the Pennzoil Full Synthetic as its entry-level synthetic below PP and PUP.

I called the Shell help line a few weeks ago, and the guy who answered told me that RGT was "99%" Pennzoil Platinum, with the only difference being that RGT had a few extra "detergents" (his words). He said they were not going to come up with an entirely new line of motor oil for that.
Hard to believe the person at Shell when the RGT and Pennzoil FS PDS are identical and the PP is different.

Well we can believe Shell when they say RGT + PP are dexos certified, can't we?

In the RGT PDS that you listed, the words immediately below those viscosity numbers read: ""These characteristics are typical of current production. Whilst future production will conform to Shell's specification, variation in these characteristics may occur." So those viscosity numbers might change, but the Dexos qualification isn't. It doesn't sound like Shell is putting much weight on those numbers. And even if those numbers don't change, there is more to an oil than what they gave there.

Hard to believe the person at Shell when the RGT and Pennzoil FS PDS are identical and the PP is different.

Well we can believe Shell when they say RGT + PP are dexos certified, can't we?

In the RGT PDS that you listed, the words immediately below those viscosity numbers read: ""These characteristics are typical of current production. Whilst future production will conform to Shell's specification, variation in these characteristics may occur." So those viscosity numbers might change, but the Dexos qualification isn't. It doesn't sound like Shell is putting much weight on those numbers. And even if those numbers don't change, there is more to an oil than what they gave there.
Sure...it will be interesting to see a VOA. Maybe there are differences in moly, detergents and TBN between PFS and RGT. Still, if RGT is 99% PP it would make sense their PDS would match closer considering PFS and RGT are identical.

Wonder if the new Black Label is going to have the same moly content as RGT-that would make it a winner in my book!

If that’s true, then what? If that’s not true, then what?
Also, you’re missing out on a cool mustang icon with the cheap entry level synthetic when compared to the premium carbon neutral made from natural gas one
76D8396E-9417-4764-A023-DC6369051957.jpeg

E402DFD8-28D8-49EC-B795-30AAE076825F.jpeg

Last edited:
And yet, the PDS for RGT makes no mention of it being a GTL oil. Pennzoil loves to tout that so I would think if RGT was GTL, they would make that known.

Not a shear stable oil. There’s been a few UOA’s posted that shows RGT at the bottom side or out of vis range in low mileage runs. Here’s one example that was posted. It’s a 3K mile oci and it’s almost out of grade.

Attachments

• 67656779-321F-4F5E-8C45-8E502F76A9F3.jpeg
    67656779-321F-4F5E-8C45-8E502F76A9F3.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 233
Not a shear stable oil. There’s been a few UOA’s posted that shows RGT at the bottom side or out of vis range in low mileage runs. Here’s one example that was posted. It’s a 3K mile oci and it’s almost out of grade.
Well, That makes sense. I see same additives as PP, but with cheaper grade of base oil. Probably more $$, too!!

Back