2019 Subaru Crosstrek FB20D - Oil choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I ordered a Crosstrek last weekend. Delivery is 8-10 weeks away. Anyways, I wanted to know which oil I should choose for it.

- Owner manual states 0w20.
- Don't really care for "boutique" oil.
- I usually buy my oil at either Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire and prefer what's on special. How ever, if there's good reason to choose otherwise, I don't mind spending more.
- I drive normal. Half highway, half city.
- Temperature range -35c/40c
- Concerned about DI and intake valve getting dirty, NOACK, fuel dilution...

The two main choice are:
- Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 Spec sheet
- Mobil1 AFE 0w20 Spec sheet
- Is there an other choice?

Which one? Why?

Thanks!

The filter matters more than the choice of those between those two excellent oils. Just get whichever is cheaper. You'll need to change the oil every 10K km anyway for the warranty. BITOG favorite is the Fram Ultra, which works perfectly in our Subaru and should be readily available in Canada. You'll need a new crush washer with every oil change too.

Originally Posted by NO2
The filter matters more than the choice of those between those two excellent oils. Just get whichever is cheaper. You'll need to change the oil every 10K km anyway for the warranty. BITOG favorite is the Fram Ultra, which works perfectly in our Subaru and should be readily available in Canada. You'll need a new crush washer with every oil change too.

I have a somewhat different opinion on the oil filters. I don't think it's that big a deal if the manufacturer's OCI is used. However, Subaru has some unique specs that most filter makers don't care to match.

The Subaru OEM filter (unless you can find the made in Japan equivalent) is the 15208AA15A made by Fram. I can't really find too many specs on it, but as far as I can tell the only aftermarket filters that match the 27 PSI Subaru bypass pressure are from Wix (and the ones they make as house brands) as well as ones sold by Beck-Arnley/WORLDPAC/etc as OEM equivalent. The Fram Ultra XG7317 that shows up in their filter selector has a 13 PSI bypass and is more of a universal filter.

The Wix 57055 is specifically for Subarus that specify that high bypass with a 15 micron nominal rating. Wix also specifies the 51394. but that's a different size/bypass.

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=1870865

Castrol Edge 0w-20
smile.gif

Filter bypass pressure is deemed important by many Subaru "experts". I use OEM or I believe NAPA has filters with the correct bypass pressure spec. Some will say it doesn't matter, but why chance it? The Subaru dealer told me to match the correct bypass pressure years ago. My independent mechanic said he uses a brand that matches the pressure for Subaru and other brands for other cars.

An OEM filter is about $5-7 from my experience and comes with a crush washer. As far as oil, anything you listed. If it's like the Crosstrek I used to have, check it regularly as it might need a couple top offs ever couple thousand miles.

Originally Posted by HowAboutThis
Filter bypass pressure is deemed important by many Subaru "experts". I use OEM or I believe NAPA has filters with the correct bypass pressure spec. Some will say it doesn't matter, but why chance it? The Subaru dealer told me to match the correct bypass pressure years ago. My independent mechanic said he uses a brand that matches the pressure for Subaru and other brands for other cars.

An OEM filter is about $5-7 from my experience and comes with a crush washer. As far as oil, anything you listed. If it's like the Crosstrek I used to have, check it regularly as it might need a couple top offs ever couple thousand miles.

Depends on the dealer if the filters come with a crush washer. I think the first time I bought a Subaru filter (from a dealer) it was extra - something like $1.50. When I bought a case from another dealer selling online, they included them with each filter. I tried some Dorman equivalents, but they had this texture where they seemed to seep a little bit. Not that it was dripping, but there was a tiny bit of oil that was clearly seeping through the gasket.

I currently use a stash of 20 mm I.D. copper sealing washers I ordered and picked up at Grainger. I don't know exactly who their current supplier is, but mine were made in Germany.

https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-Sealing-Washer-5ZLU8

As for bypass pressure, the only one of the big aftermarket filter companies that have any Subaru specific versions with the higher bypass seems to be Wix, and that includes Napa, Carquest, MicroGard (O'Reilly's), etc. For years Subaru-specific filters always specified 23 PSI. They had their US OEM one made by Purolator and a Japanese made one by Tokyo Roki for the turbo models. They were supposedly interchangeable, but the smaller turbo version was supposed to keep it a little further away from the exhaust components surrounding the filter mount. That's no longer a concern now that Subaru has gone to top-mounts with mostly a 27 PSI bypass. But then the problem is room. I understand for the turbo versions they go with a shorter, wider filter for more clearance with the hood since the mount is on an oil cooler that raises the height. Not sure why the BRZ has a different short/squat filter with a 22 PSI pressure.

Many Subarus here. I have used Mobil, Valvoline, NAPA Syn, QSUD (my favorite) and PP all in 0W20 flavor in different 2.0 & 2.5 FB engines since 2013. As stated I liked QSUD for it's consistent price point at WM, but in terms of performance, no issue with any. QSUD 0W20 has become very difficult to find in Walmarts in my area over the last couple of years, so I've recently been using PP. Since they have become available I have used Wix 57055 or NAPA Gold 7055 filters. Nothing wrong with OEM, but I still have a thing for Wix's filter construction. I buy crush washers online either at ebay or amazon. I would suggest staying with the Subaru oem crush washer.

Last edited:
Any of the major oil company products with the proper specs will serve you well.

Owned 7 Subarus.

Tried PP0w20 in wife's Forester. burned that oil like crazy and I dont know why.

We usually ran QSUD or Valvoline to prevent varnish/sticking on the TCT's. Subaru Idemitsu Indiana U.S. oil is just Meh and thin.

If I ran Mobil 1 it would be the AP or EP those are the only synthetic choices over there.

See if you can get Tokyo-Roki filters.

Unfortunately you will have a dry start every morning with the Fram/Trico blue Subaru cans. EVERY time i changed the oil after a 1 hour cooldown the filter was empty. I dont have enough experience with the Tokyo Roki but it may be the same. situtation due to filter placement.

I should have put QSUD in there. It is widely available.
The price, on special, at WM is 29$ for 4.73L (5qt) and Canadian Tire 32-33$ for 5L.
There are never any deals on Castrol Edge at WM. I don't recall seeing them at Canadian Tire.
I've seen Mobil1 on special at Canadian Tire a few times.
PP and QSUD are the ones with that are most often at a low price.
Normal prices at 49-53$.

With regards to filters. The WIX seemed interesting but unsure where to get it. I'll probably end up using the subaru one for fear of issue with warranty should a problem with the car arise

The bypass pressure is a concern and there isn't much information about for other for the FB20 and variants that are naturally aspirated.

Originally Posted by cluster5

... With regards to filters. The WIX seemed interesting but unsure where to get it. I'll probably end up using the subaru one for fear of issue with warranty should a problem with the car arise ...

Under warranty, just use the Subaru filter ... Subaru dealers are notorious for looking for any reason to deny a warranty claim on motors. Too many fragile WRX / STI engines replaced ... !!!

As for the filter by-pass pressure, lots of opinions out there. The one seemingly most logical reason was that the higher by-pass pressure reduced the number and duration of by pass events, to try and minimize clogging of a fine mesh filter in the oil line leading to the turbo ... if your car isn't a turbo, then the higher by-pass pressure was irrelevant.

Others state that Subaru motors use a higher volume oil pump, and using a filter with a lower pressure by-pass valve means the filter will by-pass much more frequently ... no proof to back this up. I think the filter may by-pass a second or so sooner ... nothing more.

It is interesting, however, that most major filter makers don't think it is a big enough deal to warrant a unique part number with a higher by-pass valve pressure ... if the wrong pressure was blowing up engines, companies like Fram would not spec the wrong by-pass pressure, as they would not risk the potential liability to replace motors ...

P.S - NAPA auto parts oil filters are WIX ... they stock the Subaru specific part numbers.

Last edited:
Some previous poster mentioned the NAPA 7055. I checked the NAPA canada site and it's available for a little over 12$.

When time comes, I'll check if the price of the Subaru filter makes sense. The NAPA is much closer to my house than the dealer.

The FRAM XG7317 is available at WM and CT at about 14$ but the bypass is low 13psi.

Originally Posted by Miller88
My FB25 seems to like Supertech 0w-20. I can't imagine a FA20DI would be any different.

Is there any specs on that oil?

Originally Posted by cluster5
Some previous poster mentioned the NAPA 7055. I checked the NAPA canada site and it's available for a little over 12$.

When time comes, I'll check if the price of the Subaru filter makes sense. The NAPA is much closer to my house than the dealer.

The FRAM XG7317 is available at WM and CT at about 14$ but the bypass is low 13psi.

This is the cheapest price I could find in Canada. I think some US sellers will ship, but I'm not sure of shipping charges and maybe duties. The business seems to be in New Brunswick, but it sounds like they ship anywhere in Canada.

https://marshlandauto.com/catalog-2/itemdetail/wix-canada/57055

So $7.69 plus tax. I entered an address I picked out in Toronto (you didn't say where you were) and got about $18 shipping for 12.

If it's of any use, I've got two UOAs from my '18 Crosstrek, which I factory ordered as you did with your '19:

#1 (factory fill, factory Tokyo Roki filter)
#2 (Zepro AM, blue Subaru filter)

So far the FB20D seems like it's pretty easy on the oil, but then again I'm only going 6k miles between changes for warranty purposes. I've got D1G2 Zepro in there now, and will stick with it for a while because UOAs are more useful when you're consistent and because I was able to buy a few jugs cheaply. I may eventually switch to regular Idemitsu 0w-20 (which I picked up 4 jugs of for $14 apiece) or some other D1G2 0w-20 depending on how quickly I go through the Idemitsu in my wife's van and how cheap D1G2 oils become in the intervening two years or so between now and when I'll probably deplete my hoard of oils.

Originally Posted by kaesees
If it's of any use, I've got two UOAs from my '18 Crosstrek, which I factory ordered as you did with your '19:

#1 (factory fill, factory Tokyo Roki filter)
#2 (Zepro AM, blue Subaru filter)

So far the FB20D seems like it's pretty easy on the oil, but then again I'm only going 6k miles between changes for warranty purposes. I've got D1G2 Zepro in there now, and will stick with it for a while because UOAs are more useful when you're consistent and because I was able to buy a few jugs cheaply. I may eventually switch to regular Idemitsu 0w-20 (which I picked up 4 jugs of for $14 apiece) or some other D1G2 0w-20 depending on how quickly I go through the Idemitsu in my wife's van and how cheap D1G2 oils become in the intervening two years or so between now and when I'll probably deplete my hoard of oils.

I'm not quite sure why 6k miles is the OCI. And apparently halved for "severe service" although I'm kind of skeptical that it isn't too conservative since 0W-20 is the standard oil. I'm guessing that 6 months/6k miles (or the metric equivalent) are all that warranty claims can really insist on since they won't know the type of driving. I guess they could be taking fuel dilution into account since all Subarus now have some sort of direct injection.

And there's the one model (the BRZ/86/FR-S) where the Toyota/Scion equivalent lists a 7500 mile normal OCI. Not sure exactly what the deal is there since it's pretty much the same car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back