2019 Subaru Crosstrek FB20D - Oil choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by y_p_w
Originally Posted by kaesees
If it's of any use, I've got two UOAs from my '18 Crosstrek, which I factory ordered as you did with your '19:

#1 (factory fill, factory Tokyo Roki filter)
#2 (Zepro AM, blue Subaru filter)

So far the FB20D seems like it's pretty easy on the oil, but then again I'm only going 6k miles between changes for warranty purposes. I've got D1G2 Zepro in there now, and will stick with it for a while because UOAs are more useful when you're consistent and because I was able to buy a few jugs cheaply. I may eventually switch to regular Idemitsu 0w-20 (which I picked up 4 jugs of for $14 apiece) or some other D1G2 0w-20 depending on how quickly I go through the Idemitsu in my wife's van and how cheap D1G2 oils become in the intervening two years or so between now and when I'll probably deplete my hoard of oils.

I'm not quite sure why 6k miles is the OCI. And apparently halved for "severe service" although I'm kind of skeptical that it isn't too conservative since 0W-20 is the standard oil. I'm guessing that 6 months/6k miles (or the metric equivalent) are all that warranty claims can really insist on since they won't know the type of driving. I guess they could be taking fuel dilution into account since all Subarus now have some sort of direct injection.

And there's the one model (the BRZ/86/FR-S) where the Toyota/Scion equivalent lists a 7500 mile normal OCI. Not sure exactly what the deal is there since it's pretty much the same car.

I agree that the 6k figure is likely very conservative. Earlier Subarus like my '01 Outback Sport (engine was EJ222) had 7,500 mile OCIs. If memory serves, Subaru stuck with 7.5k even for the first few years of FB25 and FB20. What I suspect happened is that the oil consumption issues that plagued the early FB engine caused Subaru to reduce the OCI just so that they'd have fewer of them running dry between oil changes. The switch happened before direct injection was introduced, although you are probably right that fuel dilution from DI even on an NA engine tilts the field towards sticking with a shorter OCI from the manufacturer's perspective.

Obviously reducing the interval is not a real fix for engines burning excessive amounts of oil, just like adding seal swellers to the coolant was not a real fix to the early/mid EJ25's head gasket issues, but it certainly reduces the number of warranty repair fights they end up with. Thankfully, with the FB and FA they have instituted an oil consumption test that the dealer can perform and seem to be following through on fixing engines that fail it by replacing the short block.

I just stick with the maintenance schedule despite how conservative it seems to be because the lifetime cost of doing so it pretty low compared to the potential cost of getting a claim rejected down the road. I figure $28 per oil change between the oil and the filter, which comes to $252 over the initial 60,000 mile powertrain period with a 6k OCI vs $196 going with 7.5k. My car came with a lifetime powertrain warranty from the dealer beyond the 60k powertrain warranty from the factory, so if we call the service life of the car 15 years and 180,000 miles those figures become $812 and $644, a difference of $168. Not worth chancing it for me, even if the odds of an engine failure followed by a rejected warranty claim for not following the maintenance schedule are quite slim. Besides, driving the car right about 12,000 miles/year doing two changes per year is convenient for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cluster5

The two main choice are:
- Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 Spec sheet
- Mobil1 AFE 0w20 Spec sheet
- Is there an other choice?

Which one? Why?

Flip a coin. It doesn't matter.

11.gif

Originally Posted by NO2
The filter matters more than the choice of those between those two excellent oils. Just get whichever is cheaper. You'll need to change the oil every 10K km anyway for the warranty. BITOG favorite is the Fram Ultra, which works perfectly in our Subaru and should be readily available in Canada. You'll need a new crush washer with every oil change too.

The fram filters don't have the correct PSI rating for subaru.

Originally Posted by NO2
The filter matters more than the choice of those between those two excellent oils. Just get whichever is cheaper. You'll need to change the oil every 10K km anyway for the warranty. BITOG favorite is the Fram Ultra, which works perfectly in our Subaru and should be readily available in Canada. You'll need a new crush washer with every oil change too.

I have a somewhat different opinion on the oil filters. I don't think it's that big a deal if the manufacturer's OCI is used. However, Subaru has some unique specs that most filter makers don't care to match.

The Subaru OEM filter (unless you can find the made in Japan equivalent) is the 15208AA15A made by Fram. I can't really find too many specs on it, but as far as I can tell the only aftermarket filters that match the 27 PSI Subaru bypass pressure are from Wix (and the ones they make as house brands) as well as ones sold by Beck-Arnley/WORLDPAC/etc as OEM equivalent. The Fram Ultra XG7317 that shows up in their filter selector has a 13 PSI bypass and is more of a universal filter.

The Wix 57055 is specifically for Subarus that specify that high bypass with a 15 micron nominal rating. Wix also specifies the 51394. but that's a different size/bypass.

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=1870865

Premium Guard also makes a filter with the correct PSI rating.

Actually any good SN 0w20 will work but this engine prone to be noisy during cold startup and perhaps due to DI need to be cleaned often to maintain its performance. I use Molygen motor protect to quieten the engine especially during startup, and CRC gdi ivd cleaner every 15k.
So far some aftermarket use smaller oil filter size, that nake me uncomfortable knowing high volume oil pump used, i just stick with oe filter that can be obtained cheap anyway. Some cases of engine knocking happen to a few people, with 12.5:1 compression I think it is wise not to feed it with bad gasoline.
I dont like the OE cvt and diff oil, which slips too much for rhe cvt and oxidised too much for rear diff, so i went to redline route which give better mpg and power.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sw99
ST 0w20 is more than adequate and something like $15.88 for 5 quarts.

Not sure it's available in Canada.

Yes. But something like 30$...
I'm always jealous of what the american pay.

Originally Posted by cluster5
Originally Posted by sw99
ST 0w20 is more than adequate and something like $15.88 for 5 quarts.

Not sure it's available in Canada.

Yes. But something like 30$...
I'm always jealous of what the american pay.

I didn't see it available on the Walmart.ca website, so I wasn't sure. The only SuperTech branded products that show up are a water line antifreeze (I guess to prevent septic systems from bursting in cold temps) and a windshield washer fluid. I realize that what's on the website doesn't necessarily cover everything that's in stores.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/supertech/N-1022596

Is there really anything stopping Canadians from coming down to the US and stocking on a couple years supply of motor oil? I know there are personal exemption duty-free limits based on the length of the stay. I remember seeing a lot of Canadian plates at a Target near the border once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back