Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 HTHS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've Ran 10w30 PUP in my Silverado in the past with no issues including in the winter in Southern Indiana and Now Southwestern Ohio.

10w30 is good to -4 according to many manufacturers so it will be fine. A 5w30 is better for cold starts, however when you've purchased a premium 10w30 Synthetic for $1.25 a quart might as well run it!

Originally Posted by donnyj08
I've Ran 10w30 PUP in my Silverado in the past with no issues including in the winter in Southern Indiana and Now Southwestern Ohio.

10w30 is good to -4 according to many manufacturers so it will be fine. A 5w30 is better for cold starts, however when you've purchased a premium 10w30 Synthetic for $1.25 a quart might as well run it!

I'm in Nw Ohio so not that big of a temp swing till spring when we're still getting snow and you guys are cutting the grass. My wifes 4.0 mini van was specced for 10-30 and that's what it got and it started in -10 or lower temps, didn't like it and the timing chain sounded like it was gonna fly through the hood for a sec but it started. Just gotta let it warm up for a good ten minutes and take off slow.

My local meijer also clearance out PP 5-20 for $1.92 a quart and I grabbed 15 quarts even though nothing I own calls for it, but I can't pass on a deal. I'll probably do 4 to 1 of the 10-30 and 5-20 to see how that behaves in the next change.

A simple solution is to just run a 5w30 from November to March and then switch back to the 10w30 the rest of the year.

Yep agreed. Unfortunately all I have is jugs and jugs of 10-30 and several quarts of 5-20. My wife would divorce me if I came home with anymore oil. She was a witness to an entire shopping cart of oil at meijer and I still can see the look of discuss on her face that day.

The Kroger Company is actually based in Cincinnati, OH. I believe they are the largest Grocer in the U.S. Kroger owns 2800 Grocery and "super-grocers" In 35 states. The largest brands are Kroger, Ralphs, Dillons, Smith's, King Soopers, City Market, Fry's, QFC, Fred Meyer, and Harris Teeter.

We have "Fred Meyer" Jewlers inside super Kroger stores here so the name was familiar to me.

Kroger Employees are Union and their wages are pretty high for a Grocery/Supercenter chain. Their typical bag boy or cashier is paid quite a bit more than their Walmart counterparts. Kroger stock reflects the high labor costs.

Kroger is very well ran. Most thought Walmart would kill Kroger 20 years ago, but they innovated and built supercenters, focused on customers satisfaction and produce quality, added fuel centers and have thrived dispite higher prices providing the experience you described above.

Many worried when Amazon bought Whole Foods, but Kroger was already winning that war. If they can beat Walmart at the Grocery Game, Whole Foods has their work cut out to steal markets share.

Kroger is one of the companies Jim Collins talks about in the book "Good to Great".

Yeah there's 2 Freddy's and s QFC in my zip and they seem to always have a busy prkg lot. The one with the fuel ctr is always busy. Like Safeway/Albertsons you can use your points off gas. Who supplies Kroger/Freddy's with gas, do you know?? I haven't checked to see if they're Top Tier but the one Freddy's is consistently one of the lowest priced around. (next to Costco and ARCO)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by D1dad
A simple solution is to just run a 5w30 from November to March and then switch back to the 10w30 the rest of the year.

Yep agreed. Unfortunately all I have is jugs and jugs of 10-30 and several quarts of 5-20. My wife would divorce me if I came home with anymore oil. She was a witness to an entire shopping cart of oil at meijer and I still can see the look of discuss on her face that day.

...‚. that's funny. Fortunately I'm divorced but my kids probably think I have a screw loose (maybe I do) when they see the jug's and jug's of oil I have in my shop....‚..oh the humanity of it all!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by D1dad
My local meijer also clearance out PP 5-20 for $1.92 a quart and I grabbed 15 quarts even though nothing I own calls for it, but I can't pass on a deal. I'll probably do 4 to 1 of the 10-30 and 5-20 to see how that behaves in the next change.

At $2 bucks a qt I'd find a way to use it....

Mad_Hatter,

AFAIK Kroger sources gas from a variety of different suppliers depending on the area. So you may or may not be getting Top Tier fuel.

Our local Kroger fuel station is usually filled with Marathon brand fuel as that is the closest refinery as far as I know.

I would venture to say It is likely not Top Tier rated as a whole.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
You can also use your Fred Meyer Rewards points at Shell.

Safeway/Albertsons can be used at Chevron too... good to know.ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by PimTac
You can also use your Fred Meyer Rewards points at Shell.

Good point, Kroger points are accepted at Shell stations as well.

I just used last months fuel point, 600, that were gonna expire. Filled up the wife's rogue, the new to me impala and a couple gas cans but I got my 35 gallons @2.18 per. Sucks because last week in Kentucky I got gas for 2.10 then come back to ohio where it's 2.78.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back