Looking for longer filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Onan Emerald 4000 generator. The Wix oil filter is part number 51374, which is 3.5" long. I would like a longer filter so it is easier to install/remove, as it is hard to access.

The 51374 lists 385 psi burst and 25 nominal micron.

Another common Onan generator filter is the Wix 51762, which is 4.5" long. However, it has only a 200 psi burst (all other specs the same, but for minor variance in gasket).

Or I can get Wix 51516 (cross refs to Motorcraft FL400a). The Wix 51516 has a 275 psi burst and 20 micron.

I am inclined to get the higher burst , though 200 psi is probably good enough, but is the 20 microns of the 51516 okay if the spec filter says 25 microns?

Do the burst strengths vary for the same application between different manufacturers? I wonder what the burst strenght is for the Onan versions of 51374 and 51672. Seems odd they would spec a 385 burst for the smaller generator (4000 watt) and a 200 psi burst for the larger generator (6000 watt).

Anybody have suggestions for a different filter number that may be even better? I have plenty of clearance for 1 to 1.5 inches longer filter, but little to no tolerance for anything wider.

Here are the full specs for the specified Wix 51374:

Ht: 3.529"
Dia: 2.996"
Thread: 3/4-16
Bypass: 8-11 psi
Antidrainback: Yes
Burst: 385 psi
Gallons/minute: 7-9
Nominal Microns: 25
Gasket OD: 2.74"
Gasket ID: 2.37"
Gasket thickness: 0.275"

This filter does fit several automobile applications (I think all import), so should be available at most parts stores or NAPA.

BTW, who makes oil filters for Onan?

Just to satisfy the fear that always enters into this type of decision, does this genset have low pressure and overheat shutdown safety features? I'd just use the finest filter I could find and the biggest that I could fit and not worry about it.

How about this, Paul?? Go remote (cue dramatic music clip
shocked.gif
). Dual remote (cue another ..more dramatic music clip
shocked.gif
). Then you can go as big as you want.

It's a shame that the VW filters have such a high bypass valve rating. They even trump that filter for burst ratings

Part Number: 51393
UPC Number: 765809513938
Principal Application: Audi (71-06), Volkswagen (96-05), Lotus (71-74)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 4.820
Outer Diameter Top: 3.020
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 33
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Burst Pressure-PSI: 410
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micro Rating: 28

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.800 2.450 0.230

I have no idea if it has low pressure and/or overheat shutdown. Don't recall seeing that in the manual either.

Wow, that VW filter is nearly perfect. But for the bypass setting.

Have you considered using a different tool to service the recommended filter - an end cap type?

I think a call to WIX is required for a computor search.

Other tid bits: delete the hyphen on the ONAN no's to use the wix look up.

51764 (62's 5"+ brother) list burst strength as 250, so maybe the 200 is a misprint?

Thought the 51088 was perfect, but it also has 30 lb. drain valve.

Other possibilities: 51034, 51214, and your 51516.
BEWARE OF THE THINNER GASKET -might be of concern?

Have fun.

Thanks doitmyself. 51034 has no bypass so it is out. 51516 is nearly perfect, but lower burst and micons. 51214 is nearly perfect with 345 burst, just that the microns are lower at 18 and that gasket is a tad thinner.

Well, maybe I will just stick with the specified filter. At least I can get it in Wix which should be cheaper than buying Onan parts from the RV dealer.

I did find the generators under "Off Road" on the Wix site. Thanks for the help.

Why worry about burst pressure?
The filter has a bypass, doesn't it?
And, how much oil pressure can that motor actually make?

I would use the FL400s sized filters if they fit.

Well, you're probably right. As nominal micron rating is relatively meaningless and burst pressuure of the FL400s should be more than sufficient. I think the burst pressure on that filter must be for one of the automotive specifications that it applies to and Wix made one filter to fit several applications rather than a separate filter for Onan with a lower burst pressure.

Also, with the same gauge metal I would expect the shoter filter to have a greater burst pressure just because it is shorter. Surely a 30-inch long filter would have a much lower burst pressure, unless it was made with a very heavy gauge metal. (No, I'm not planning to install a 30-inch long filter on it. Would about double the oil capacity on this 3.5 qt sump though. Hmmmm.....)

Thanks Gary. I have to look at my specific manual. Meanwhile I have Wix sending me the three volume master catalog so I can see if there is an exact but longer replacement.

You could look at the Amsoil EaO-58 it crosses over from the wix number you have posted.
It is a top quality long life filter that provides an efficiency of 98% at 16 microns

[ September 12, 2006, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: Bio-T ]

That's a big sump for a small engine
shocked.gif
It's air cooled though ..so I imagine that oil flow is doing most of the cooling here.

According to this PDF file, you do have some oil safety. If not pressure, at least level. Here.

Yep, that'w what I figured. And to some extent a narrower filter probably is stronger than a wide filter.

Picked up the Onan filter at the RV dealer yesterday and measured it. The 3.5 inch length is center of dome. At the edge is is closer to 3.25 inches. Also picked up a FL400s at AutoZone and the can felt pretty strong. I can't imagine an opposed twin air cooled flathead engine would need a highe oil pressure. The FL400s should do just fine. And the 20 micron nominal vs 25 micron nominal is insignificant (so I got a Wix tele rep to agree).

Thanks Sootyoil. I should look at the spec on that Amsoil filter.

Well Gary, maybe that VW filter is the way to go. I cross referenced the Onan filter number on Fleetguard's site and got LF3338, which has a bypass of 31 psi. According to Filter guy (in a thread on the cost of a lawn tractor filter):

quote:

FYI..Onan is owned by Cummins Engine Company. Fleetguard filter Company is owned by Cummins. Guess who makes Onan OEM filters..
smile.gif

So if Fleetguard makes it at 31 psi, 33 psi should be no problem.

Yeah, and here I am worried about 275 burst of the 51516 vs spec filters 385 burst, but have run many 51773's at 225 burst on my F150 that the spec 51515 burst is 285.

So it appears that burst strength may be inversely related to can size and bypass psi is related to the particular filter. Surely the manufacture has some kind of spec, but for the Onan it could be minimum 200 psi burst and since the Wix filter exceeds that (albeit by 185 more psi) it meets spec. Surely would not want them to make the filter of thinner sheet metal just to be right on spec.
shocked.gif

Actually now that burst and nominal micron are more or less resolved (or at least not weighing on me anymore), I can turn my attention to smaller details, like the thinner gasket on the 51516.
grin.gif

I can turn my attention to smaller details, like the thinner gasket on the 51516.
grin.gif

Yes, keep those priorities in order
smile.gif

When my Wix catalogs come I will be overwhelmed with fun stuff to do. Probably will scope out more alternate filters for all my vehicles.

Wonder if I can hook an oil pressure gauge to the Onan? No, just kidding.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:

Wonder if I can hook an oil pressure gauge to the Onan? No, just kidding.

Yes you can hook up an oil pressure guage or a bypass filter line for pressure. Take the cover off where you screw in the oil filter and you will find the low oil pressure shut down. Just put a tee in there and walla, pressure for your guage or bypass filter.

grin.gif

Or... you might look at Baldwin or Hastings
smile.gif

Here is just the Baldwin number.. but they also have a long version as well.

PART NUMBER: B228
Descriptions : Microlite Full-Flow Lube Spin-on

Contains : Anti-Drainback Valve
30 PSI By-Pass Valve
Fits : Atlas Copco Compressors; Audi, GM Automotive; Bobcat, Claas, Gehl Equipment; Deutz Engines

Replaces : Deutz 1163420, GMC 6696776
Thread : 3/4-16
O.D. : 3 (76.2)

Length : 3 1/2 (88.9)
I.Gskt : G449-B

Related to : B178 (Long Version)

Baldwin or Hastings have threaded end bypass?

Bio-T. A remote filter would be nice as this one goes in horizontally and makes a mess when removing. Also can't prefill. I'll have to see if there is a good place for it. The engine jumps around quite a bit upon startup and would not want to jam the filter or lines.

For now it is probably Wix 51516 (FL400). But these other filters and bypass are worth consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back