Looking for longer filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on, TallPaul ..let's get it on and complicate this thing.
grin.gif
Dual remote ..bypass filter ..the works.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
Come on, TallPaul ..let's get it on and complicate this thing.
grin.gif
Dual remote ..bypass filter ..the works.

With an oil cooler or oil warmer depending on the temperature of the oil.

Use a bypass T valve with a built in thermostat that leads to the oil cooler. Have the oil cooler T go through the cooler and back to the sump.

Take the other side and divert it into a liquid to liquid cooler. But, instead of filling it with water, tap off your coolant system and bring hot coolant from the block into the "cooler." This should help bring the oil to operating temperatures and burn off impurities sooner.

If you wanted to get really fancy, put it a pre-luber that draws oil from the actual cold cooler. Instead of just having that oil sit there idle, it could be used to pre-lube everything and virtually eliminate wear.

Don't forget to filter the fuel and coolant also!!

(yeah.. slow night.. sounds good on paper right?)

I could get enough different lines rigged up on the thing to insure somewhere it would leak. Oh if I only had more time to create problems.
grin.gif

Well I hit paydirt. The FL400 / Wix 51516 will be just fine for this Onan generator.

I called Purolator and got the burst ratings on their filters for these applications. Here is what I found out. The Onan spec filter (122-0645) cross reference is Wix 51374 (385 psi burst) and Purolator L35098 (minimum 250 psi burst). The Purolator tech emphasized that the L35098 was an absolute minimum 250 burst. So I can surmise that the Onan spec is no greater than 250 burst and therefore the Wix 51516 (FL400 x ref) at 275 burst is in spec as is the purolator version (L20195) at 300 psi burst.

quote:

Originally posted by Nebraskan:
Or... you might look at Baldwin or Hastings
smile.gif

Here is just the Baldwin number.. but they also have a long version as well.

PART NUMBER: B228

pat.gif
Why didn't I see what you wrote about the "long version?" Anyway I went to the two links you PMd me (Baldwin and Hastings). My Onan number gave me a BT223 instead of the B228 you list. And it has 8 psi bypass.

But the real paydirt was the Hastings site where it gave two numbers, a short version and a long version. The long version is the cross reference to the FL400s Motorcraft filter, so now I am 100% confident that the FL400s versions are perfectly suitable for my generator.

Thanks much.

Just be careful, TallPaul. I always get nervous when cross referencing among three or more filter brands. In other words, if the Onan doesn't directly cross reference to the FL400, but you got there by going first to Puralator, then Baldwin, then ABC, then Fl400 - watch out. Baldwin always gave me fits when trying to cross reference John Deere filters. It's like Wix and Baldwin were recommending different filters that supposedly matched the John Deere.

Again, maybe the thinner gasket might not seal correctly.

Good point doitmyself. No, I input the exact Onan filter number at Hastings and got both the short and long versions. That gives me a high level of confidence. Also the long version is crossed back to a different Onan filter number, and so fits a standard Onan application.

Hot Dog! Just got my catalogs. Great reference, but I don't see burst pressure in the catalogs, so I go to the net for that. I found this filter which has a burst strength close to the spec Onan. Still have the thinner gasket and smaller nominal micron, but I don't think that would be a problem at all, so maybe this is the one to use.

Part Number: 51214
Principal Application: Harley Davidson Motorcycles, Jaguar (00-05)
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Height: 4.828
Outer Diameter Top: 2.923
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Burst Pressure-PSI: 345
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micro Rating: 18

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.734 2.430 0.226

Wow, this one has the exact same gasket size as the specified filter and is over two inches longer. Only thing is somewhat lower burst, but better than the 51516 and higher bypass pressure. I think this one would work fine and may be easier to obtain, since it fits some Nissan trucks.

Part Number: 51460
UPC Number: 765809514607
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Height: 5.811
Outer Diameter Top: 2.966
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 15-17
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/19
Burst Pressure-PSI: 300
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micro Rating: 25