Oil Filter Burst Strength? VW

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Hello all, this is for my sand rail, it's got an air cooled VW motor, stroked to 2234cc and turbo'd. Running 20w50 but will switch to 15w50.

Anyways, it has an external EMPI oil filter mount and currently has a Carquest 85348 filter on it. This cross references to a Fram PH3614. The VW forums recommend running a Wix 51515R on it, with the R meaning for racing use and it withstands a higher burst pressure rating than a normal 51515. The 51515 size cross references to a Fram XG8A. I don't see a direct 51515R cross reference for Fram.

The Fram PH3614 has a burst rating of 310 psi.
The Fram XG8A has a burst rating of 230 psi.

I wouldn't think the burst rating should be an issue, but there's some folks on the VW forums saying:
"Something else to note. Either oil pump setup you use, you will most likely need to use a Wix 51515R filter (NOT a 51515...Without the 'R' it won't take near as much pressure), as a regular filter will blow apart on cold start due to the high pressure put out by a VW oil pump. Most other engines have an oil pressure relief valve before the filter to protect the filter. In the case of a full flowed air cooled VW, that relief valve is AFTER the filter and the remote cooler."

Do you guys think I could have an issue?

The reason I'm not set on a 51515R is because I'm trying to actually cross reference it over to a Royal Purple filter, using Fram's catalog part number search since they give more detailed specs.

What oil pressure are you using? Most all filters these days can handle oil pressures
up to 100 psi, at least for a short interval. You aren't faced with 0° starts in AZ.
Racing filter cans are only slightly thicker, half a mm.

Anyways, it has an external EMPI oil filter mount and currently has a Carquest 85348 filter on it. This cross references to a Fram PH3614. The VW forums recommend running a Wix 51515R on it, with the R meaning for racing use and it withstands a higher burst pressure rating than a normal 51515. The 51515 size cross references to a Fram XG8A. I don't see a direct 51515R cross reference for Fram.
Fram makes a racing filter line with a high burst pressure rating

Looks like the HP1 is used where a PH8A would be used. 500 PSI burst pressure rating.

1675196975772.png

Fram makes a racing filter line with a high burst pressure rating

Looks like the HP1 is used where a PH8A would be used. 500 PSI burst pressure rating.

View attachment 138130

Thanks! Do you know of anything Royal Purple makes that would cross reference? I'm not a brand snob, just that the sand rail is purple and I thought it would be cool to run a Royal Purple filter. If not I'll probably buy an HP1 and paint the filter. It's a show car.

Thanks! Do you know of anything Royal Purple makes that would cross reference? I'm not a brand snob, just that the sand rail is purple and I thought it would be cool to run a Royal Purple filter. If not I'll probably buy an HP1 and paint the filter. It's a show car.
Looks like a 30-8A crosses over to PH8A and Wix 51515 ... so a double cross-reference check. So a Fram HP1 or Royal Purple 30-8A would fit.

1675197850311.png

1675197898162.png

Looks like a 30-8A crosses over to PH8A and Wix 51515 ... so a double cross-reference check. So a Fram HP1 or Royal Purple 30-8A would fit.

View attachment 138132

View attachment 138133

I just worry since the PH8A has the lower burst strength that the 30-8A does too. I don’t think Royal Purple shares those specs

I just worry since the PH8A has the lower burst strength that the 30-8A does too. I don’t think Royal Purple shares those specs
You could call or email Royal Purple to see if they have a rated burst pressure to share. Royal Purple filters seems to have a thicker can than most filters.

Like mentioned earlier, what's the maximum oil pressure seen on this engine? If it's like 80-90 PSI then any oil filter can take that pressure with room to spare.

You could call or email Royal Purple to see if they have a rated burst pressure to share. Royal Purple filters seems to have a thicker can than most filters.

Like mentioned earlier, what's the maximum oil pressure seen on this engine? If it's like 80-90 PSI then any oil filter can take that pressure with room to spare.
I can't remember the exact number, but definitely no higher than 80 psi on the gauge that I've seen. Is oil pressure the same throughout the entire system, or can it be a lot higher in specific areas, like the oil filter in this case?

I can't remember the exact number, but definitely no higher than 80 psi on the gauge that I've seen. Is oil pressure the same throughout the entire system, or can it be a lot higher in specific areas, like the oil filter in this case?
I would assume the oil pressure sensor is located someplace between the oil filter and the engine main oil gallery of the oiling system. Maybe you can verify where it is. If it's located as I described, then that will show the maximum oil pressure point and also essentially be the oil pressure that the filter will see.

Back