Looking for an SUV

Al

Messages
19,277
Location
Elizabethtown, Pa
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by Al
BMW X3 all day long. A good friend of mine was looking for a Luxury. She looked and tested all of them. We talked about the strengths and weaknesses. It was an easy choice, except for Volvo. But in the end she chose the X3. If something happened to my Forester XT I would go with the X3, no question.
Was the Volvo really that appealing to her?
Yea..she really liked the features and the ride
 

dgunay

Thread starter
Messages
704
Location
Toronto
Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by dgunay
By the way, no offense for VW owners. I own 10 year old Japanese car with no rust and did nothing except regular oil changes not even a spark plug change. A friend of mine owns 10 year old VW Jetta City with lots of rusty panels
I'm from Toronto and VWs are more corrosion resistant that Hondas. Daily driven for a decade, rust free car without a single oil spray? You're not in Euro-asia(lol) anymore, bud!
It seems like I have a decade old rust free Japanese car, all I did was to get a 3-month season car wash (includes underbody wash) every winter. It's made in Canada though, so half Japanese, half North American. Maybe that's why. laugh
 

dgunay

Thread starter
Messages
704
Location
Toronto
Originally Posted by edyvw
Quote
By the way, no offense for VW owners. I own 10 year old Japanese car with no rust and did nothing except regular oil changes not even a spark plug change. A friend of mine owns 10 year old VW Jetta City with lots of rusty panels, he forgot how many times he got a CEL. It overheated once, changed water pump and thermostat. He changed ignition parts and MAF sensor multiple times, and whole throttle body assembly once. Not to mention it is worth 1/2 price of my Acura, same year same segment car, and same mileage (around 90-100k miles). I was working on his car, that's why I can keep track of it laugh
That VW was in flood or involved in accident (probably). There is no Aisan manufacturer, including Lexus and Acura that have rust protection on par with cheapest vehicle offered from Germany, and I am talking VW Polo, Skoda Fabia (OK, Czech Republic) etc.
I think you are right, as they offer better warranty for rust. He still has warranty which I wasn't expecting that at all, though they try their best not to cover all parts claiming that it's due to external factors. But some parts were repainted and covered by the warranty, still better than nothing. I know Skoda and Seat btw. They make financially more sense since you basically get the same car-drivetrain with slightly lower quality plastic trims (which is still on par-better than Japanese counterparts) for way better price in EU countries. I especially like the Skoda Superb.
 
Messages
1,112
Location
Virginia
Just a note about the Mitsubishi Outlander, it seems a little under powered. It only makes 227 hp and 215 lb/ft from a 3.0L V6.
 
Messages
12,776
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by dgunay
Originally Posted by edyvw
Quote
By the way, no offense for VW owners. I own 10 year old Japanese car with no rust and did nothing except regular oil changes not even a spark plug change. A friend of mine owns 10 year old VW Jetta City with lots of rusty panels, he forgot how many times he got a CEL. It overheated once, changed water pump and thermostat. He changed ignition parts and MAF sensor multiple times, and whole throttle body assembly once. Not to mention it is worth 1/2 price of my Acura, same year same segment car, and same mileage (around 90-100k miles). I was working on his car, that's why I can keep track of it laugh
That VW was in flood or involved in accident (probably). There is no Aisan manufacturer, including Lexus and Acura that have rust protection on par with cheapest vehicle offered from Germany, and I am talking VW Polo, Skoda Fabia (OK, Czech Republic) etc.
I think you are right, as they offer better warranty for rust. He still has warranty which I wasn't expecting that at all, though they try their best not to cover all parts claiming that it's due to external factors. But some parts were repainted and covered by the warranty, still better than nothing. I know Skoda and Seat btw. They make financially more sense since you basically get the same car-drivetrain with slightly lower quality plastic trims (which is still on par-better than Japanese counterparts) for way better price in EU countries. I especially like the Skoda Superb.
Take a look at VW Atlas. In family size SUV there is nothing more practical. VR6 is absolutely bulletproof and 8 speed is programmed really good. It falls within your price range. Mazda CX-9 is good too. Forced induction as you wanted and in that category probably drives best. 310lb-ft is no joke for merging. Only problem with CX-9 is that it is not luxury SUV, but on other side it is kind of small in family SUV class. By the way, I owned two Skoda Octavia's, and I would take that body work any time over any Asian mfrs.
 
Messages
2,135
Location
Tinton Falls NJ
How about a Honda Passport? I've seen a few and they're pretty sharp looking, just the right size. You get a super refined V6 engine which is bulletproof, a torque converter auto, memory seats, and you get a re-badged version of Acura's most excellent SH-AWD system.
 
Messages
12,776
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by gofast182
How about a Honda Passport? I've seen a few and they're pretty sharp looking, just the right size. You get a super refined V6 engine which is bulletproof, a torque converter auto, memory seats, and you get a re-badged version of Acura's most excellent SH-AWD system.
Passport comes with SH-AWD? Vehicle looks pretty interesting. I was recently in Honda dealership looking used BMW 3 series, and saw one in the showroom. If retained Pilot suspension with no additions, I think that might be pretty peppy vehicle. Pilot is really light, so engine carries that vehicle pretty good. Though dynamically Pilot is seriously challenged. Hope they tuned that up in Passport
 

dgunay

Thread starter
Messages
704
Location
Toronto
Originally Posted by gofast182
How about a Honda Passport? I've seen a few and they're pretty sharp looking, just the right size. You get a super refined V6 engine which is bulletproof, a torque converter auto, memory seats, and you get a re-badged version of Acura's most excellent SH-AWD system.
That's actually a great idea, thanks for the suggestion. I wasn't even thinking about getting a Honda (possibly a CR-V) as I don't want to deal with fuel dilution, but that v6 is another story. I'll definitely check it out. I'll also check Telluride, Palisade, and Atlas.
 

Al

Messages
19,277
Location
Elizabethtown, Pa
You actually may want to check the 2019 Forester or Rav 4. Here is a nice comparison: One picks the RAV the other the Forester
 
Last edited:
Messages
9,832
Location
Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by glock19
Just a note about the Mitsubishi Outlander, it seems a little under powered. It only makes 227 hp and 215 lb/ft from a 3.0L V6.
And premium is recommended and it has a timing belt. That said they seem to drive fine with regular gas but people who tow with them find they use a lot of gas if you fill up with regular. IMO Its niche would be something that can carry 5 people +2 kids and still be small and cheap enough to do some mild off-roading/unassumed road exploring in southern ontario. I do see alot of newer ones around Peterborough atleast so you might have lots of choice getting one that has been leased. We like our Outback 2.5i but merging power wasn't on our list of criteria. Grand Cherokee was considered but they aren't cheap new or used.
 

Ws6

Messages
3,950
Location
South Central US
Originally Posted by mcrn
How about the Ford Explorer? It is RWD again now and available in AWD of course.
I like the look of them and the numbers, but haven't they had lots of issues with them over the last 5 years or so?
 
Messages
3,993
Location
Chicagoland
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by mcrn
How about the Ford Explorer? It is RWD again now and available in AWD of course.
I like the look of them and the numbers, but haven't they had lots of issues with them over the last 5 years or so?
The previous gen was FWD based, seems like they're aiming after the Durango with the new ones.
 
Messages
3,438
Location
FL
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by mcrn
How about the Ford Explorer? It is RWD again now and available in AWD of course.
I like the look of them and the numbers, but haven't they had lots of issues with them over the last 5 years or so?
New model out now....like was mentioned above that gen was FWD based and now its RWD.
 
Messages
6,778
Location
New England
Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by dgunay
By the way, no offense for VW owners. I own 10 year old Japanese car with no rust and did nothing except regular oil changes not even a spark plug change. A friend of mine owns 10 year old VW Jetta City with lots of rusty panels
I'm from Toronto and VWs are more corrosion resistant that Hondas. Daily driven for a decade, rust free car without a single oil spray? You're not in Euro-asia(lol) anymore, bud!
I own a Canadian built "Japanese" 07 Acura MDX that is built well except for terrible rust protection. It is rotting at doors and rocker panels. The rust makes it worthless. It was parked ocean front in its first years before I owned it. VW I found has pretty great rust protection, they look nice old but some of them are not reliable while others rock stars and better then Japanese dependant on year and engine. That 2.5 I5 was incredible.
 
Last edited:
Messages
5,295
We found the 2019 GMC Terrain to be a solid value. Granted, it looks a bit soccer mom. Tons of factory incentives and dealer discounts, we got about 7K off sticker which for the model we bought was approx 23% off. We did get it as 2wd since we didn't need two awd/4wd vehicles and I still had the Forester at the time.
 
Messages
6,778
Location
New England
Originally Posted by mcrn
How about the Ford Explorer? It is RWD again now and available in AWD of course.
I have rented them skiing in Utah. The AWD is decent for climbing snowy grades however the entire Ford tech approach is pretty kludgy and maddening down to the blinker sound. Also the turbo engine/automatic is either on or off in power delivery making climbing grades annoying with either surging motor or lugging.
 
Top