Parents looking for new small SUV...help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still looking on line at this point. There is a 2015 Rav4 we might take a look at, 40K miles but listed at $19,000. Need to see if we can get the price down! There is also a 2010 RX350 with 77K for $13,000. Not sure if they want something that old though, and those were part of the unintended acceleration fiasco.

Originally Posted by gregk24
Still looking on line at this point. There is a 2015 Rav4 we might take a look at, 40K miles but listed at $19,000. Need to see if we can get the price down! There is also a 2010 RX350 with 77K for $13,000. Not sure if they want something that old though, and those were part of the unintended acceleration fiasco.

That price is horrific. I wouldn't even bother with that RAV. I would harp on how worthless the AWD is in those, but they live in FL, so it's not really a meaningful point likely. Still, that price is horrible. I'd be far more interested in the RX350 you listed, if those 2 were the best options for them so far in their minds.

Originally Posted by NO2
Last time I drove a Venza, the driving position seemed off and the car had wonky brakes. It didn't seem to have much more room than a Camry. I'd look at a Forester as a more practical alternative.

A friend of mine has a Venza and has, for 4 years now. She still loves it. Previous vehicles of hers are all of the small SUV up to Honda Pilot size genre, with a wagon or two. She's a Colorado type person, if that sums up her vehicle choices. Just a 3rd party datapoint.

I agree with Ws6. I would much rather buy a new stripped-down model, vs. a used (out-of-warranty) one pushing $20k. I know used Hondas and Toyotas go for crazy money. That's why I'd never buy one.

Originally Posted by kkreit01
I agree with Ws6. I would much rather buy a new stripped-down model, vs. a used (out-of-warranty) one pushing $20k. I know used Hondas and Toyotas go for crazy money. That's why I'd never buy one.

I think there is point where used is not making sense anymore.
However, some vehicles have pretty decent drop in value in 2-3 years, and they are good buy.
I got Sienna for 28K last year with 42k miles. Limited, so almost all things inside, at least most important for me (electrically folding mirrors as I have three car garage, where single portion of it only can fit car of such length, but entrance is too narrow for vehicle of this size). This vehicle was brand new some 44k, so, over 3 years it dropped $16k. Paying 44k for minivan? That ain't going to happen.

We are still searching. That Toyota is out, dealer is too proud of it. May be looking at a 2016 Nissan Rouge and 2016 VW Tiguan soon.

We are still searching. That Toyota is out, dealer is too proud of it. May be looking at a 2016 Nissan Rouge and 2016 VW Tiguan soon.

Rogue has Nissan's CVT. Might as well budget for a replacement if you get it.

That is obvious from first two sentences with any Toyota seller.
My wife never drove European vehicles until we were about to move to CO from CA. I did not want to steer her toward European vehicles, which was my preference. I ahd VW CC at the time, and she loved that car, except she like higher sitting position. But she was hesitant about European cars bcs, cousins friend second cousin had bad experience with some car. She drove Sentra, but wanted AWD for CO. She tried RAV4, CR-V, etc. but once she tried Tiguan, she just said: get this, with all "stuff" inside.
2016 Tiguan is smaller inside than RAV4, CR-V, but drives much better, and drives much better than current Tiguan. So, take into consideration that trunk is not taht generous. But, driver has more space than in my Toyota Sienna.
But, be aware of preventive maintenance, specific oils, Haldex fluid change intervals. On 2016 engine there are no issues with chain tensioner and PCV that plagued models until 2012, but intake manifold might be an issue. However, it is dirt cheap and for example I never had to change it, but it is known problem.

Last edited:
I would really watch buying a used VW. Make sure they did the oil changes with an actual approved oil. The other day we had a guy throw a fit because we wouldn't put Quaker State Conventional in his 19 Golf. He bought the oil and left. There's a ton of people that don't use the correct stuff. The other day I watched someone put Rotella in a 2015ish Beetle. No wonder why people complain about the reliability of VWs
24.gif

I'm not across car prices in the US, but rather than buying used, could they get into a new Mazda CX3, Toyota CHR or Honda HRV instead? I take it there's only 2 of them, so a smaller vehicle wouldn't be an issue?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back