Looking for an SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellas,

I am on the market for a new SUV, I will be buying it until the end of this year. Some of my "good to have"s are:

1) Must be a compact - mid size SUV, of course.
2) Preferably brand new with only one exception written below
3) Must have an Android Auto. I refuse to buy a car without this feature. That's why I skip the new RAV4.
4) Must be an all wheel drive
5) Preferably a torque converted automatic transmission, I don't care how many gears it has. I would be okay with a CVT if it is a reliable brand, but no dual clutch.
6) Forced induction engine. I am really done with naturally aspirated engines unless it's a V6+. It doesn't have to go fast, but I just need sufficient torque on the merging lane.
7) Memory seats - my wife is short and I am tall, and I HATE to adjust the seat all the time. I'll probably have to go with the top trims because of this feature.
8) Dual injection (am I asking too much?) if possible

Some of my alternatives are,

Brand new ones (max $50k Cdn)

Hyundai Santa Fe: I had a chance to test drive it for a week, and I am really surprised how good it is. I can wait for the upcoming XL version with 7 seats.
Mazda CX-5: I love how it looks, and Mazda engines are super reliable even with direct injection, it usually doesn't require any additional maintenance. Interior space is a little bit bummer though, but not too bad.
VW Tiguan: Although I don't like VW that much, this is the only car comes with a 7 seater as an option so far, though it will be a tight fit. At least it comes with an Aisin torque converted automatic. But yeah, it's a VW, it won't last long.
Subaru Outback (2020) : This is one of the reason why I will wait till the end of this year. It comes with a new turbocharged engine.
Subaru Forester (2019+) : I know this one doesn't come with a turbo, I can only bend the rules for this car as I really liked it. I will probably wait the new Outback to compare.

Used

2016+ Mitsubishi Outlander GT V6 S-AWC: I am looking for a brand new car as they usually offer great interest rates (less than 1% most of the time), but I wouldn't want to pay $45k to own this one, that's why I am looking used options just for this. I am aware that I can't compare this vehicle with the others, but it seems like a nice alternative with good price. Probably the all wheel drive system is the best in its class. Not to mention it costs half of the others.

This is going to be my first SUV purchase, and I would be really appreciated if you guys share your experience, and opinions.

Thanks in advance

Dan

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Grand Cherokee with the Pentastar?

I second this. They have excellent AWD systems and the Pentastar is amazing. The uconnect is also very very good and supports Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

Last edited:
I own a ‘17 Mazda CX-5 and it has been superb in all counts. Another one to consider but not on your list are the Kia Sportage or if you want something a bit bigger, the Sorrento. Both have automatic transmissions.

I have no clue how my 166K GTI is still on the road being a POS VW. I wouldn't buy the Tiguan because of the weak engine.
You could get a base Ford Edge ST with the duel injected engine and transmission you want but it'll only seat 5.The funnest, best looking one of the bunch
and your wife and you will be the cool parents.

Good idea, thanks. I will check it out. Do they still have noisy rocker arm problems?

Come down to the US and get a Regal TourX
27.gif

Originally Posted by hpb
Can't go wrong with the CX5.

Is diesel an option for you?

Unfortunately diesel is not available as a brand new option. As a Euro-asian immigrant, I owned Renault diesel car (1.5 dci) several years ago and I loved that car. I wish diesel engines were still available here.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Price in Canada

[Linked Image]
photo upload site

Hey thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out as well.

By the way, no offense for VW owners. I own 10 year old Japanese car with no rust and did nothing except regular oil changes not even a spark plug change. A friend of mine owns 10 year old VW Jetta City with lots of rusty panels, he forgot how many times he got a CEL. It overheated once, changed water pump and thermostat. He changed ignition parts and MAF sensor multiple times, and whole throttle body assembly once. Not to mention it is worth 1/2 price of my Acura, same year same segment car, and same mileage (around 90-100k miles). I was working on his car, that's why I can keep track of it
laugh.gif

It doesn't mean it's a bad car, it just won't last long and depreciate a lot especially after 8-10 years.

I still would love to own a Golf R, but priorities
smile.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
I own a ‘17 Mazda CX-5 and it has been superb in all counts. Another one to consider but not on your list are the Kia Sportage or if you want something a bit bigger, the Sorrento. Both have automatic transmissions.

Thanks. Sorento would be a nice option but I heard that it will be refreshed next year.

BMW X3 all day long. A good friend of mine was looking for a Luxury. She looked and tested all of them. We talked about the strengths and weaknesses. It was an easy choice, except for Volvo. But in the end she chose the X3. If something happened to my Forester XT I would go with the X3, no question.

She couldn't be happier.

Originally Posted by dgunay

Good idea, thanks. I will check it out. Do they still have noisy rocker arm problems?

That seemed to mostly be 2011-2013 engines. The Pentastar got a MASSIVE upgrade in 2016, which included new rocker arms. In the Durango/Grand Cherokee groups I'm a part of I haven't seen any issues with the 2016+ v6.

Originally Posted by Al
BMW X3 all day long. A good friend of mine was looking for a Luxury. She looked and tested all of them. We talked about the strengths and weaknesses. It was an easy choice, except for Volvo. But in the end she chose the X3. If something happened to my Forester XT I would go with the X3, no question.

She couldn't be happier.

It starts from $48k Canadian dollars. My budget is $50k OTD max. I can (but shouldn't) push it to $50k before tax. Another problem is, they don't come with Android Auto. But thanks for your suggestion.

Last edited:
By the way, no offense for VW owners. I own 10 year old Japanese car with no rust and did nothing except regular oil changes not even a spark plug change. A friend of mine owns 10 year old VW Jetta City with lots of rusty panels
I'm from Toronto and VWs are more corrosion resistant that Hondas. Daily driven for a decade, rust free car without a single oil spray? You're not in Euro-asia(lol) anymore, bud!

By the way, no offense for VW owners. I own 10 year old Japanese car with no rust and did nothing except regular oil changes not even a spark plug change. A friend of mine owns 10 year old VW Jetta City with lots of rusty panels, he forgot how many times he got a CEL. It overheated once, changed water pump and thermostat. He changed ignition parts and MAF sensor multiple times, and whole throttle body assembly once. Not to mention it is worth 1/2 price of my Acura, same year same segment car, and same mileage (around 90-100k miles). I was working on his car, that's why I can keep track of it
laugh.gif

That VW was in flood or involved in accident (probably). There is no Aisan manufacturer, including Lexus and Acura that have rust protection on par with cheapest vehicle offered from Germany, and I am talking VW Polo, Skoda Fabia (OK, Czech Republic) etc.

Originally Posted by Al

Was the Volvo really that appealing to her?

Hey fellas,

I am on the market for a new SUV, I will be buying it until the end of this year. Some of my "good to have"s are:

1) Must be a compact - mid size SUV, of course.
2) Preferably brand new with only one exception written below
3) Must have an Android Auto. I refuse to buy a car without this feature. That's why I skip the new RAV4.
4) Must be an all wheel drive
5) Preferably a torque converted automatic transmission, I don't care how many gears it has. I would be okay with a CVT if it is a reliable brand, but no dual clutch.
6) Forced induction engine. I am really done with naturally aspirated engines unless it's a V6+. It doesn't have to go fast, but I just need sufficient torque on the merging lane.
7) Memory seats - my wife is short and I am tall, and I HATE to adjust the seat all the time. I'll probably have to go with the top trims because of this feature.
8) Dual injection (am I asking too much?) if possible

Some of my alternatives are,

Brand new ones (max $50k Cdn)

Hyundai Santa Fe: I had a chance to test drive it for a week, and I am really surprised how good it is. I can wait for the upcoming XL version with 7 seats.
Mazda CX-5: I love how it looks, and Mazda engines are super reliable even with direct injection, it usually doesn't require any additional maintenance. Interior space is a little bit bummer though, but not too bad.
VW Tiguan: Although I don't like VW that much, this is the only car comes with a 7 seater as an option so far, though it will be a tight fit. At least it comes with an Aisin torque converted automatic. But yeah, it's a VW, it won't last long.
Subaru Outback (2020) : This is one of the reason why I will wait till the end of this year. It comes with a new turbocharged engine.
Subaru Forester (2019+) : I know this one doesn't come with a turbo, I can only bend the rules for this car as I really liked it. I will probably wait the new Outback to compare.

Used

2016+ Mitsubishi Outlander GT V6 S-AWC: I am looking for a brand new car as they usually offer great interest rates (less than 1% most of the time), but I wouldn't want to pay $45k to own this one, that's why I am looking used options just for this. I am aware that I can't compare this vehicle with the others, but it seems like a nice alternative with good price. Probably the all wheel drive system is the best in its class. Not to mention it costs half of the others.

This is going to be my first SUV purchase, and I would be really appreciated if you guys share your experience, and opinions.

Thanks in advance

Dan

Obviously my vote is for the CX5 Signature or Grand Touring Reserve.

It has literally everything you wanted except obviously the interior space is where it falls short compared to others, by a bit.

Mercedes GLE350? It comes in AWD and I believe Mercedes has had Android auto in their car lines since 2016/2017. The GLE has had it since 2017. The 2019 had the twin turbo v6 but 2018 was the regular 3.5 liter v6, but direct injection. Mercedes has always had memory seats, usually driver and passenger 3 position memory seats. On the S class they even have a switch so the driver can adjust either the driver or passenger power seat from the driver's controls. Of course there's also the GLC which is a slightly smaller SUV. They never did CVT's so either a 7 or 9 speed automatic depending on the year. The used 2017 models start at 35k US so probably in the Canadian range of 50k.

The jeep grand Cherokee is pretty nice on the inside and the pentastar is a pretty sweet engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back