Looking for an all-year-round oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Johnny
PYB 10W-30 will do what you are looking for.

+1!
01.gif

PYB 10-30 is great conventional oil. However, MaxLife is 30% synthetic, has seal conditioners, and is slightly more viscous which would work GREAT in Louisiana. MaxLife!

Shell Rotella T 10W30. We ran it for years with 8000-12000 mile (annual) changes. It will likely be easier to find the T5 Synthetic Blend in that weight now. Whatever SM/GF4 10W30 thats on sale will work if you want to do 6000 mile changes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
My owner's manual says 10W-30 as the preferred grade unless temps get chilly, then to go with 5W-30, or 0W-30 if it's really cold. (Not sure of the exact temp cutoffs for those.)

But the oil filler cap says 5W-30.

I plan to use 0W-30 all year. It has been hot as heck here in Illinois. When the engine is hot, 0/5/10W-30 all are at virtually the same viscosity. Remember, oil is thicker when cold than hot.

In fact, sometimes 0W-30 is slightly thicker when hot than 5/10W-30. It is definitely thinner when cold. Both of those made my decision to use 0W-30 all year an easy one.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
Shell Rotella T 10W30. We ran it for years with 8000-12000 mile (annual) changes. It will likely be easier to find the T5 Synthetic Blend in that weight now. Whatever SM/GF4 10W30 thats on sale will work if you want to do 6000 mile changes.

I finally spotted the T5 Rotella at WM last week. "Gee," I said, "good price, too!" Then I noticed that it only came in 4-quart jugs. Of course I could always mix in a quart of the conventional 15W-40, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back