Looking for a Sil-Glyde replacement for brakes...

I use 3M silicone paste on pins. Permatex purple grease on metal to metal contacts except the brake ears and behind the shim. Planning to try the Permatex Silicone Orange stuff, replacing the Purple stuff. Not sure which is better?

Here are the lubes in my “brake box”. The brakes on all three cars never make any noise. 🙂

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 113
So I just found out that I SHOULDN'T have greased my wifes caliper pins. Its that style where the pin is exposed slightly/ semi floating... Its the ATE caliper style.
What do you mean ? Who says not to lubricate them ?

Got a picture of this caliper design / slide pins you're referring to ?

What do you mean ? Who says not to lubricate them ?

Got a picture of this caliper design / slide pins you're referring to ?
extremely common design and they don’t need any lubrication for any reason

Attachments

• DB54A3E0-B6F5-4EED-9D9E-343CF1A3D545.jpeg
    DB54A3E0-B6F5-4EED-9D9E-343CF1A3D545.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 46
extremely common design
Someone referenced "ATE" and that piqued my curiosity. My wife's Fusion has these calipers and I lube the slides.
and they don’t need any lubrication for any reason
Where/who says not to lubricate them ? Oftentimes, the OE supplier will say one thing, one automaker says the opposite, another automaker agrees/follows the OE.

Someone referenced "ATE" and that piqued my curiosity. My wife's Fusion has these calipers and I lube the slides.

Where/who says not to lubricate them ? Oftentimes, the OE supplier will say one thing, one automaker says the opposite, another automaker agrees/follows the OE.
I have the ford FSM and I double triple checked, I don't see any mention of lubing them... I did it without checking, don't assume lol.note to self.

Based on what I've seen it's the slide pins that go into a metal bushing or guide that require lubrication while the pins that go into rubber or plastic guides don't need lubrication. At least the ATE front brakes on my cars have all used rubber guides. The few times I did apply lubricant it was only a super thin film.

Sil-Glyde is what I use at home. At the shop I started at about three months ago we have the green Permatex for brake pads. Both seem to work good. Except I usually keep a tube of Sil-Glyde at work too since they tell us to use the green on the pins which I don’t think is a good idea because I don’t think it’s made for pins.

it's the slide pins that go into a metal bushing
The Fusion, and many other models, have the same or very similar pins shown in 2EHA's picture above. It has the same sleeves that, from my memory, are positioned on the inside caliper side and the slide pins thread into the outer caliper.

This thread is for the rear brakes on a Fusion but the design is close enough: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/2016-fusion-rear-brake-job.345347/ (check the pictures is what I mean).

Sil-Glyde is good for the pins. For the contact points, a dry-film lube is always best. I use the old Permatex moly-silicone stuff.

For caliper slide pins I have used Sil-Glyde in the past. Currently trying Raybestos DBL-2T (Silicone with PTFE) there. Would like to try a dedicated slide pin grease like Molykote G-3407 but cannot find a source.

For the backs of pads, between the shims and pad backer plate, the contact points I've had good luck with Permatex Purple though Raybestos DBL-2T would likely work fine there as well.

For caliper slide pins I have used Sil-Glyde in the past. Currently trying Raybestos DBL-2T (Silicone with PTFE) there. Would like to try a dedicated slide pin grease like Molykote G-3407 but cannot find a source.

For the backs of pads, between the shims and pad backer plate, the contact points I've had good luck with Permatex Purple though Raybestos DBL-2T would likely work fine there as well.
That stuff is esoteric - think GM might be using it. Toyota’s red rubber grease is easier to obtain. It’s a red glycol based grease, lithium soap thickener.

That stuff is esoteric - think GM might be using it. Toyota’s red rubber grease is easier to obtain. It’s a red glycol based grease, lithium soap thickener.
Before choosing Raybestos DBL-2T for my Subaru's pin slides I was considering Toyota Red Rubber Grease but there seemed to be some debate even within the Toyota community as to which grease to use for the pin slides. That may be settled now (in favour of Red Rubber Grease) as X15 has done some great research in this thread:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...cating-brakes-on-japanese-automobiles.329794/

If I had to choose one grease for all applications though, I'd probably go with something silicone based.

If I had to choose one grease for all applications though, I'd probably go with something silicone based.
I’m actually using Permatex Silicone Ceramic Extreme(orange colored) Brake Grease on the slide pins of a 2nd gen Prius. There’s no rubber bushing on it like some Toyotas and many Subaru. But there’s still a rubber pin boot and bushing(one piece). It seems to work fine, calipers were moving and no uneven wear.

I haven’t used it on the pad-bracket interface though. But if it’s anything like their older moly-silicone formula, it should hold up to normal water exposure.

Back