Looking for a Sil-Glyde replacement for brakes...

so my tube is pretty much done, and wondering with the advancements in lubricants, is there something better as an all around brake grease? Im not one to grease the back of the pads as I think the rubber shims do their job. But Im looking for something for the slide pins, contact points etc. Id prefer to get one grease for all applications, but I remember seeing M77 ( I think... ) is touted as the best for pad contact points...

All in all, what do you guys currently use?

I use silicone grease for slide pins and permatex extreme brake parts lubricant for contact points on pads. For something like brakes it seems worth having specialized lubricants. Even if its's a slight hassle.

For pins..

For contact points..

Get some acid brushes and use them with both products.

iv tried other common autoparts break pin grease and they amazingly all dried out and some got stuck. permetex etc. sylglide is the only one that was still grease when i changed the pads a gain. simple but works.

What about on brake pad ears/abutment clips? ( Although I think Id leave the clips alone... )

Also need something for the wheel to rotor hat/rotor to hub interface to ward off rust. From just reading for a while, looks like Pastelub is the go to for that use. But I can use THAT also for the ears, thus settling sil-glyde for the pins and pastelub for pad ears, metal to metal interfaces between wheel/rotor/hub.... no?

Also need something for the wheel to rotor hat/rotor to hub interface to ward off rust.
YouTuber - South Main Auto, shop is in NY state, so rust is "normal" - likes using FLUID FILM for that usage. I've only used it for the first time very recently so it will be at least a year before I see how it works.

YouTuber - South Main Auto, shop is in NY state, so rust is "normal" - likes using FLUID FILM for that usage. I've only used it for the first time very recently so it will be at least a year before I see how it works.
I did see that not too long ago today... but my worries is that the heat could cause it to thin out and sling/migrate off of the face... what ya think?

Sil-Glide on Pins and rubber boots. There's not a thing wrong with Sil-Glide. Once I used it on the backs of my pads because I ran out of the black scchitt to put on the pads. You know what? It worked fine. Never got any squeal.

Last edited:
9EFC2547-E05A-486C-A364-95278A7962E3.jpeg

I use the orange one for pins. It is their only line that is silicone based.

I only use the purple as a noise dampener.

What about on brake pad ears/abutment clips? ( Although I think Id leave the clips alone... )

Also need something for the wheel to rotor hat/rotor to hub interface to ward off rust. From just reading for a while, looks like Pastelub is the go to for that use. But I can use THAT also for the ears, thus settling sil-glyde for the pins and pastelub for pad ears, metal to metal interfaces between wheel/rotor/hub.... no?
Antiseize works just fine. You just need a thin film to prevent the galvanic corrosion that causes the wheel to be stuck to the rotor hat annoyance.

Hmm lol. So I just found out that I SHOULDN'T have greased my wifes caliper pins. Its that style where the pin is exposed slightly/ semi floating... Its the ATE caliper style.

So Im thinking Im going to have to get back in there and remove that grease. I used Sil-Glyde and just a bit, not too much but has me a bit bugged out that they shouldn't be greased and I greased them...

Back