Looking for a good turntable

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I am looking for a turntable that I can connect to my receiver. The main things I want is durability and wonderful, high fidelity sound. I've read some reviews about people buying turntables and changing the needle on it to a different brand. I am actually ok with that and getting needle recommendations provided the sound is wonderful.

Admittely, I am pretty ignorant on turntables and haven't used a record player since I was a child, but I'd really like to buy one that will outlive me and has a wonderful sound to it. I've been reading some online reviews and nothing has really wowed me, so I'm looking for opinions.

As for my budget, well......lay it all out regardless of budget and let me make a decision based on what I will know after the fact as to whether or not it's worth the money.

What are your suggestions?

I'll take my Thorens over just about anything else. At 56 years old it still sounds better than anything newer that I've heard.

We have an Audio Technica AT-LP60BK-BT.

Reasonable cost, great sound, and has Bluetooth functionality so we can listen while we're outside.

Forget those reviews, you'll drive yourself nuts.

Go to Audio Advice in Charlotte, they have Rega and Pro-ject turntables which strike a nice price/performance value. I have a Rega RP3 and my non audiophile friends are always amazed how good records can sound.

If AA will let you, I'd recommend packing up your reciever and speakers and taking them with you. Also bring a few albums in good condition (from Elusive Disc or Music Direct)... you'll be needing some anyway.

Best of luck!

Jeez...been a long time but remember that phono output is very low compared to CD and other outputs so your receiver needs a phono input to boost it. If your receiver has a phono input, you're all set. If not, you'll a phono preamp unless it's built into your turntable.

I sold my old Technics on eBay 17 years ago. Vinyl does sound better but I'm all about convenience these days.

You didn't mention what type of receiver you will be using or if it has a dedicated phono input. If it doesn't, you'll also be in the market for a phono preamp.

Personally, my advice to anyone looking to get into spinning vinyl that values quality is to begin at one of the following:

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon
Rega RP1
Music Hall MMF 2.2 (or their new MMF 2.3)

They're no-frills turntables, but they're all high quality and sound nice. Each has lots of overhead if you'd like to upgrade a cartridge, but they all do come with a nice cartridge out of the box. There's also plenty of options for furthering your experience... acrylic platters, preamps, speed controllers, etc.

Until you reach the $1,000 threshold, Pro-Ject, Rega, and Music Hall all have a very comparable range to chose from.

Avoid anything with USB.

Welcome to the rabbit hole of analogue stereo.
smile.gif

What do have for the rest of your system? Making blind recommendations aren't that useful to you unless we know the rest of your components. Are you planning to add a TT and keep the rest of your system, or is this the start of an upgrade path?

Obtaining "wonderful, high fidelity sound" from any turntable involves lots of ingredients in the audio "food chain" so to speak. There's more to it than just a spinning platter. Cartridge alignment, proper loading, and set-up is critical. So is the phono-pre-amp as you can't just connect a turntable, any turntable, to a line-in on a receiver: It won't work.

You have to think of it as a system to get the best sound. And a carefully balanced system at that.

Really good advice so far. If your receiver has a "phono" input (most likely moving magnet-mm)you are not going to get the best sound in most cases. I recommend an aftermarket phono preamp. Many to chose from...Audio Adviser is having a Parasound sale and if they have any Zphono for $149 (silver) left, consider this purchase. (Hopefully your Receiver will have an extra line level input for you to add such a preamp. You'll also need an extra RCA interconnect cables.) It will go well w/a properly set-up Project/Rega TT. Don't forget some kind of record cleaning brush/fluid and perhaps a record cleaning machine. Hope you have a place nearby that has lots of used records for sale! You will find that a record on a optimized system will sound better than a CD.

Unless you are ready and willing to spend a couple grand for really good sound forget the venture and spend into high end digital and without known system in use no one can give recommendation.

A modern turntable will play your records. A vintage TT will PLAY your records. Thorens, check. Old BIC, check. Marantz, 70's Radio Shack, Yamaha, and Technics, check. But really, why hit every thrift, Goodwill, and Salvation Army, or brouse Craigslist for months looking for that elusive "needle" in a haystack? Point your browser to http://www.fixmydual.com/ and check them out. A vintage German Dual 1219 is like the gold standard in TT.
As always, YMMV, but seeking that smooth, analogue, vintage sound? Hard to beat a Dual, Marantz amp and Klipsch Heresy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Olas
Technics SL1210 are the boys, I have the Mk2 but the newer Mk5G is equally well thought of.
& Ortofon Concorde cartridges.

This! The Technics 1200 series turntables are absolutely the highest quality units you will find in any reasonable price range. They are exceptionally well made, there is a large market for support and customization too. They are exceedingly good at preventing feedback, maintaining accurate speed and very, very robust. There is a reason the Technics 1200 series turntables are used in commercial and public settings. They never fail, don't have feedback and sound great!

Look on Craigslist for a used 1210 MK5 if you want a lifetime unit. A used 1210 is better than any of the "new" copies out there.

Furthermore, don't be swayed by those saying it's not an audiophile's turntable. It most certainly is.

I understand there are plenty of other options. Some of those uber-shiny pro-ject "audiophile" units are actually made in China, out of presswood!

After dealing with a Pro-ject, a Thorens TD-124, a Beogram 1900 and a Pioneer 1150, I settled on the 1210 MK5, and it's far superior.

Last edited:
A cut-n-paste from another thread:

TECHNICS SL-1200 MK5 SE
33 45 RPM MANUAL TURNTABLE

Looking for an audiophile quality turntable and doing price comparisons? STOP.... The turntable you are about to read about embodies technology that would take literally millions of dollars to create today. Further, the casting, machining and material science used in this deck are economically out of reach of today's audiophile turntable companies. It is called market economics, it's an important component when determining value, and I hope you will read on. Click here to read the tale of one customer's trek from 1200 through the audiophile jungle only to return to the 1200!

The KAB Special Edition version of the Technics SL-1200 MK5 is especially customized for home use. We replace the DJ mats with the Technics heavy super mat and we also re-install the dustcover hinges. A $42 value. We also install a Stanton Calibration Standard 681EEE MKIII Phono Cartridge. A $130 Value. Also available without a cartridge.

Technics developed the 1200 series 24 years ago to be the standard for broadcast and professional use. It's precision performance and unusual build quality enable it to easily compare to hi end 'tables costing 10 times as much. Let's start with the 3 layer body construction. It is very important to the neutral sonic character of the 1200. Click here for Technical drawing of body. Called a constrained layer design, the three disimilar materials, in intimate contact, form a solid base that is incapable of supporting resonance. You may not be taking your 1200 to the disco, but isn't it comforting to know that the engineers who designed it gave some thought to that environment. And if a turntable can perform in a 100+ dB sound field, you can be sure it will be spectacular in your living room.

The motor drive system is rock solid and incredibly accurate. It is an optimally damped, direct drive system using a 3 phase 12 pole motor with zero crossing drive for extremely quiet rotation, and a self validating frequency generator right on the platter. As the integral platter magnet rotates past the frequency generator coil, a distortionless sine wave is produced representing the exact movement of the platter. This ensures tightly controlled rotation reflected by the amazingly low wow and flutter spec of 0.01% . The spindle bearing , anchored to the cast aluminum base, is a massive 1/4" polished stainless steel shaft closely machined through a 1" long bronze bearing.

This servo drive system responds "just in time" to both static and dynamic stylus drag. It follows strong amplitudes so well that there are no audible changes in speed. The pitch of a loud crescendo stays constant as it fades away. The same cannot be said of most belt drive systems. This sort of sophisticated circuitry can be expensive to develop. Why, it can cost $100,000.00 or more to develop a single Application Specific Integrated Circuit like those found in the 1200. There are 2 LSI ASIC circuits and 1 MSI PLL in the Technics 1200 drive system.

And remember, the reason rumble is so low in the 1200 is precisely because of four things.
1. Rotation occurs at exact platter speed.
2. The power to the motor is infinitely controllable, and is very very low in normal use.
3. The power is applied at the most rigid part of the platter system: the spindle.
4. Unlike a belt drive system that tugs on the spindle bearing, direct drive systems have equal forces acting on the bearing resulting in longer life and much quieter bearing noise.

The platter is itself a non-resonant 5 Lb affair. Made from cast aluminum, precision machined, and damped with hard rubber on the bottom . Built in strobe display indicates exact speed at a glance. The top mat is 17 Oz. alone and is properly shaped to accept 45 rpm singles as well. 45's are thicker in the middle then on the groove surfaces and flat platter mats cannot support them properly.

This tonearm is one of the great examples of the Gimbal Bearing system, the rotational center of which is precisely defined at one point. Designed at the height of the first audiophile revolution in the late '70's. When the demands were 3/4 gram tracking forces and the requirement to trace groove modulations to 45 Khz (remember CD-4?) The 1200 tonearm is a low - medium mass arm with precision bearings , polished to a finish of ± 0.5 microns, featuring 0.007 gram friction. The arm base utilizes a uniquely machined brass ring featuring a 3-step, deep, hi speed thread machined into it. Just like a camera lens focus ring, this produces a high precision VTA adjustment. The threads are sealed with a damping grease to give a nice feel to the adjustment. Interconnect cable features a very flexible foamed polyethylene dielectric to minimize the passage of vibration up to the tonearm. Cables are a major pathway for vibration to enter the tonearm and color the sound. The Counterweight is calibrated in grams, properly decoupled and has a nice solid feel to it. Adjustments are quick and reliable. Ditto for Anti-Skate which uses the progressive spring tension method. Easy to adjust, even when the record is playing.

This should be your turntable if:

You are sensitive to pitch variation. Especially in long fades.
You need isolation from acoustic vibration
You crave the kind of rock solid stability that digital offers, but with the musicality of vinyl.
This really should be your last turntable!

Sorry to keep posting stuff, but I can't edit my previous posts.

Audio Technica makes a substandard copy of the 1210 called the ATLP-120. It truly is a lower quality unit. Even so, it's quite good in it's own way. And for $200, not at all a bad deal.

A perfect, used Technics 1210 MK5 should sell for about $400. I found a new one on Amazon for big bucks!!!

Edit: Every once in a while you come across a product that has simply excellent build quality, timeless design and lasts forever. The 1210 is that product.

Last edited:
I have a Technics SL-1311, the dark gray version of the SL-1301....(I have a Dual 1219 backup)...
My LPs sounds great with an Audio Technica 440ML cartridge, through a basic external phono-preamp to a Harman Kardon AV receiver and out of 5 Dyncaco A25 speakers (with updated tweeters) I've been listening to since 1970.

I record/rip LPs to DVDs (4 LPs to a disk @ SD speed on a basic Sony DVD recorder) and they sound great in the Kitacamry with its new Pioneer DVD player.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back