Looking for a filter that can go 10,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I always change around the 3000-4000 mark and just use 5w30 like the owners manual says. That's the only thing I do; I won't rotate tires anymore as when I rotated in the X pattern I ended up with tires that became out of round and it wasted a front wheel bearing.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: brian12
I forgot to mention I'm using Havoline filters right now which I've been getting at my local dollar store on sale for $2.50. Normally they are $2.99. They look pretty much like a Purolator premium plus. Would this filter be capable of going 10,000 miles? I've also found a great deal on some Mahle filters.

Its simply amazing that people will put a 2.99 filter on a $6000 to $7000 engine and expect the BEST performance.

I think you'd have to be doing UOA to determine what kind of change interval you should do with your oil and filter. It is never "safe" to blindly follow manufacturer recommendations. Generally I think of the manufacturer's recommendation as a good place to start. As previously stated, way too many variables.

In a different thread, someone wrote they bought a Mobil 1 oil filter at Walmart for $8. I've never, ever seen a Mobil 1 filter at my Super Walmart.

At Walmart, I've just seen Fram, Mopar, SuperTech, Motorcraft, AC Delco, and maybe one other brand (Wix?)

IIRC, the Mobil 1 filters at O'Reilly Auto Parts used to be priced at 9.99 less than a year ago. Yesterday, they were $13. Oil's been going down in price but filters going up?

I've never seen M1 at Wally's either. FRAM/ST/MC/a few Mopar/a few AC.

The lowest I've seen them was $9.95 @ AA

Originally Posted By: Built_Well
In a different thread, someone wrote they bought a Mobil 1 oil filter at Walmart for $8. I've never, ever seen a Mobil 1 filter at my Super Walmart.

At Walmart, I've just seen Fram, Mopar, SuperTech, Motorcraft, AC Delco, and maybe one other brand (Wix?)

IIRC, the Mobil 1 filters at O'Reilly Auto Parts used to be priced at 9.99 less than a year ago. Yesterday, they were $13. Oil's been going down in price but filters going up?

Not sure where the relationship is between cost of oil and filter? Are filters now petroleum based products?

Sorry if it's already been posted, but check out Purolator's new Synthetic line. They even market on their website that the filters offer 10,000 mile protection. The filter is very good; thick synthetic media with a wire mesh backing for additional support, silicone ADBV, etc. I have one on each of my cars now, and they're both running two 5,000 mile OCIs.

Notice that they're 99% efficient at 25 microns. Compared with 99.9% efficient at 20 microns for the PureONE. This demonstrates the required trade-off between efficiency and filter life. The new Synthetic filter gives up some filtering efficiency for capacity for longer drain intervals.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/SyntheticOilFilters.aspx

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Holy thread revival, Batman!

Yowza, almost 4 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back