Looking for a filter that can go 10,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I normally replace them, mainly because of the 'old' oil still in them. But if I did extended oil changes I wouldn't have a problem worrying about using them 10K.

I think you'll find that they're also indexed at that mileage over a given time span. That 50kkm is probably over no more than 18 months. I could be wrong, but there's typically no such thing as a static mileage life expectancy. Even the EaO spec's one year ..but with the mileage limit ..there is really not much of a limit other than the time span.

Gary - I agree. I guess it sounds much better saying "50,000 kilometers" instead of 50k/18 months. I'm going to cut open a Mann in the next 6 months ... hopefully will have close to 10K miles on it.

HEARD....that Baldwin/Hasting Oil Filters can be changed every other OCI due to being usually longer than their counterparts...hence are able to hold more dirt....

I personally like to get fresh oil filter since i do extended OCI's

Fram Extended guards says they filter up to 26 grams / 10,000 miles. The PureOne says it filters 13 grams....

I know nothing about filters..

I'm thinking the filter change is probably more important than oil change if your using synthetic..

Quote:
I'm thinking the filter change is probably more important than oil change if your using synthetic..

Not so much anymore. Amsoil used to recommend that, but have since managed to eliminate the need to do so. ..but that's on extended drains well beyond OEM.

There's a divergence in fatigue for oil and the filter. The filter is limited by its holding capacity ..with is altered by it's efficiency. If you're doing enough mileage, you're not in the high combustion byproduct production state (warm up). If you're far enough into long mileage territory (above 10k - the further - the better) filter fatigue is substantially reduced. At this state (let's say 15k+/year) you'll fatigue the oil well before the filter is shot. That's when you get the "every other" OCI recommendation.

Now just use an oil that can go the full distance ..and there you are
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Originally Posted By: brian12
I'd like to find a filter that I can change every other oil change at 5,000 mile intervals. I'd also like to keep the price below 10 dollars. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

How long does 10k take you to accumulate? What kind of daily drive to you have? Annual mileage?

Over 10k/year? Not much of a problem.
Under 10k/year ..probably too much short trip usage with fuel enrichment providing the combustion byproducts in enough quantities to load the filter.

That is, how much of your 5k/10k is in higher loading state?

Most filters will function over this span. Some will filter better and have better ADBVs.
I drive about 40 miles a day or 12 to 15 thousand miles a year. I'd say mostly stop and go.

Originally Posted By: JakeR22
I go 10k on super techs all the time.
The Supertech for my car is kind of undersized. I don't know if I would be comfortable leaving it for an extended interval.

Originally Posted By: NJC
Mann? Claim's up to 50k km's:

Quote:
The MANN+HUMMEL replacement filters allow replacement intervals of up to 50,000 km in passenger car applications

http://www.mann-hummel.com/liquidfilters/index.html?iKeys=17.1.222.1.1
If only Mann's were easier to find. I wonder if I went to the parts store and gave them the Mann number if they would give me a Pureone with a Mann in the box.

Quote:
I drive about 40 miles a day or 12 to 15 thousand miles a year. I'd say mostly stop and go.

I'd say that you're in full warm up state for the majority of your operating time. Your fuel consumption is surely higher than it would be with mostly highway.

I'd say you're fine for 10k FCI's

Originally Posted By: brian12
If only Mann's were easier to find.

They're easy to find online. Not sure what car this is for, but it should be well under $10 online, assuming you buy a few at a time to spread the shipping costs.

I don't buy into all this extended OC's and every other OC filters, too many variables in peoples driving habits and engine conditions, 90% of the people that drive don't maintain their vehicles as it is :no-no: if you do an OC do the filter also
06.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83
I don't buy into all this extended OC's and every other OC filters, too many variables in peoples driving habits and engine conditions, 90% of the people that drive don't maintain their vehicles as it is :no-no: if you do an OC do the filter also
06.gif

Well, it's not something you do blindly. While I'll never (probably) find cause to ever do a 3m/3k, I'd probably recommend it for someone who I know will never know what they're doing ..just because of the aforementioned variables that I can't account for outside of my control.

It does require thought.

I think AMSOIL makes an oil filter that goes up to 25K (normal driving condition), for about $16.00.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EPHIOS
I think AMSOIL makes an oil filter that goes up to 25K (normal driving condition), for about $16.00.
Yup
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back