Looking at the 2014 Dodge Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering trading in a 2001 Chrysler T/C on the 2014 Journey SXT. Anybody have one? Thoughts?

I am mainly looking at going from a seven pass. to a 5 pass. while maintaining roughly the same payload capacity.

Well I would drive your T/C into the ground first. BUT, the journey is a nice mid-size but seemed a little rougher when I drove it. Have you test driven it yet? Besides that, it seemed to be a robust and useful vehicle.

Probably can be had for decent price, Dodge/Chrysler dealers around here are having big sales, especially on '13 models.
But I'd also consider similar vehicles from Mazda, Mitsubishi, even Jeep etc.
My aunt has '12 I believe, she seemed to say was kinda cheap, mainly interior, as that's what she mostly concerned with as under warranty still.
ya get what pay for obviously, good luck

Thanks for the replies. I think I will drive it and maybe look at the Mazda CX-5 which is highly rated. I read reviews about the "cheapness" in previous model years, supposedly not so cheap in 2014.

I sat in a few during the process of buying my 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan. They're real comfortable IMO. Typical Dodge fare in regards to the interiors. They've improved greatly.

Its an average vehicle at best compared to any of the minivans available. Rental experience.

I thought it was an awfully uninspired rental car equivalent to the Avenger. They lose their value instantly. Although, you could probably pick up a 2012 or 2013 for next to nothing.

The Mazda 5 is a good choice, and the Subaru Outback has similar cargo capacity too.

The Journey is based on a Mitsubishi.Think Dodge Caliber/Avenger,Jeep Compass/Patriot,Chrysler Sebring/200.Not impressed with how they are put together and how they eat rear tires.Buy a Chrysler/Dodge minivan and keep it for 200K miles...

It depends on what is important to you. If you want towing, I'd look at a 6 cyl Equinox/Terrain. They can tow 3500 lbs and the 6 cyl engine has been pretty good in those (the 4 cyl has been bad, trust me I know from experience). Otherwise a V6 Escape is another option. I'm not sure if the CX-5 has a 6 cyl available or not.

If mpg is important, go Escape or CX-5 or Outback. These are of course for the options other than the Journey. I haven't seen a 2014 Journey so I can't comment. The other options are pretty good and worth a look. Look at them all and weigh your options.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
The Journey is based on a Mitsubishi.Think Dodge Caliber/Avenger,Jeep Compass/Patriot,Chrysler Sebring/200.Not impressed with how they are put together and how they eat rear tires.Buy a Chrysler/Dodge minivan and keep it for 200K miles...

I would be interested to learn more about this. All I could find on Wikipedia regarding the newer JS Platform was "shares a DaimlerChrysler/Mitsubishi Motors platform called JS which used the Mitsubishi GS as a starting point, then was heavily modified." What does heavily modified mean??

The Journey would have to be substantially cheaper ($3-$4K) for me to consider it over it's competition. And then, it would have to have characteristics that met my needs better than the others in most aspects. I would plan to keep it a long time to offset Chrysler's tendency, IMO, to depreciate faster initially.

being a typical boring crossover hybrid sperm pod me too vehicle, its extremely overpriced and overvalued by the masses.

Unless you really hate driving another minivan, or need AWD, the V6 Caravan costs the same as the 4cyl journey and gets the same mileage. I suspect they drive about the same too.
A lady at work did just get a Journey to replace her old Caravan and she likes it, so I'm sure its a decent vehicle.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
being a typical boring crossover hybrid sperm pod me too vehicle, its extremely overpriced and overvalued by the masses.

The GMC/Chevy offerings are out of my price range. What would you recommend?

Last edited:
A guy at work has a 2012 or 2013, he really likes it and hasn't had any issues with it. Chrysler seems pretty motivated to move product so you should be able to get a good deal on one.

I once rented a Journey. It was probably a 2008 or 2009 model...it was a while ago. I figured that I wouldn't like it, but I rather did. I found an old post of mine I wrote here years ago, so figure I'll re-paste my thoughts. Some of my gripes (such as lack of a telescoping steering wheel) may have been resolved by now. And the 3.5L was thirsty...the Pentastar may not be.

BLUF: I think it's one of Chrysler's most under-rated vehicles.

Quote:
I rented a 3.5L Journey, with the 6-speed auto. I rather liked it. I do concur that the pedal/wheel placement is awkward. It badly needed a telescoping steering wheel. Cars are designed for short people it seems. Us taller folks have to really reach for non-telescoping steering wheels these days. I guess that's all in the name of "safety" (airbags I imagine).

Anyway, I think the Journey's ride was quiet and tight. That was my first experience with the Kumho Solus KH16 tire, and it was a good tire. I reminded me a lot of the Michelin Energy MXV4 on my Cadillac at the time; decent ride, very quiet, and good dry traction.

The engine was thirsty. And the transmission was awkward. It was always shifting, and wasn't programmed well in my opinion. The 6-speed auto in my sedan is much easier to live with. The new interior is spot-on. Chrysler's done wonders with their interiors. Even the Wrangler looks Auto-Union nice. Yes, that's a partial joke, but there really is a modern refinement to most of Chrysler's new inner skins. A co-worker's wife bought a Journey about a year ago and likes it. She has a '99 Caravan with about 10 million miles on it, and she likes the Dodge dealer in town, so she bought a CPO Journey from them. It is a heavy vehicle, but that shows in the ride quality, which I was happy with.

I do think it's one of Chrysler's better (and highly under-rated) vehicles today. I hope the Pentastar engine fixes the fuel economy issue. I averaged 23 MPG with the FWD 3.5L that I drove (all highway). My AWD MDX matches that.

That's one of the few Chrysler products I like. Friend of mine had one a few years ago - rode well.

Did decent off road, too ...

More Minivan than straight crossover - but that's a good thing!

Do you tow anything or do all you really need is a five passenger box that can fit some additional stuff in the rear?

Not being a Chrysler basher, but I would recommend proceeding with caution (if you are serious.) Do some serious reading of reviews.
I remember listening to a piece on the radio 2-3 years ago that stated that the #1 vehicle at the time that consumers filed lemon law claims on was the Journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back