Used Dodge Journey

No one in their right mind would trade any generation Corvette for a Journey...

If you were closer, I'd offer to trade you for the Corolla!

A Corolla is exactly what I’m looking for lol.

The Journey is a no go. Interior had a short somewhere. Not trying to deal with electrical on a modern car. Power windows and locks wouldn’t work, every time you pressed the switch the lights would dim. Tried master switch and all other switches. Probably a ground, but not trying to deal with it especially trading a perfectly good working car.

Last edited:
If you're into plastic cars and looking for an SUV, I have a Saturn I might trade.

001.jpg

Worth is relative to demand. Not much demand for C4s unless their stupid cheap, even if they run good. Mine is a hair over 100k miles so it’s a tough sell.
I figure I can probably only realistically get 5500-6000 during the summer. Anymore and it becomes a gamble. One I don’t really have time for.
Well indeed get rid of the Vette if you must. However, you’d still be better off by staying away from the Journey unless you can turn it over for a small profit or use it to trade up to a vehicle more fitting to your needs.

I saw one tonight with a temporary tag

and who is buying it always amazes me

I had a friend who brought a ex rental 2018 Journey Crossroads with 50k miles. It served his family pretty good for about 3 years. Tranny went at 110k and they sold it at 130k. Lots of highway miles, and it didn’t drive bad, had decent power when I drove it.

It had life in it, just required a lot of unnecessary work to keep it running.

Reliability score: 0
At 150k miles I'm surprised that it is still on the road. Wait for a better offer from someone else.
The transmission is probably about to blow especially if it hasn't been serviced.

I'm not sure if I am understanding this correctly. Are you implying that your are still going to get the Journey anyway, even after all of the negative responses/replies in this thread?:unsure:

I rented one in 2017 with the Pentastar V6 and 6 sp trans, and thought that was one of the lousiest handling car I've ever driven. Didn't even feel very fast not powerful. Fuel economy was good (to my standards), surprisingly.
Apart from that, roomy interior and good AC :D

Reactions: hrv
I rented one in 2017 with the Pentastar V6 and 6 sp trans, and thought that was one of the lousiest handling car I've ever driven. Didn't even feel very fast not powerful. Fuel economy was good (to my standards), surprisingly.
Apart from that, roomy interior and good AC :D
The rental I had was flex fuel… allegedly it got 10mpg on E85. Also I wasn’t very nice to it 😏

Steering and suspension parts wear badly, and they go out of alignment and chew through tires nightmarishly fast.

How does a company this big continue to make lousy vehicles?
It cant be that hard to make a quality product,motor vehicles have been around for 120 years.

I had 2 different Journeys as leased vehicle where I worked. I had no issues with either one. In the second one I was hit head on both at about 55mph. Where it was hit it killed the motor so no steering. It made a right turn into a dirt back after the air bag was already deflating. Knocked the wind out of me. Ambulance came and took me to the hospital for xrays but none of my neck. Any how that car protected me. Couple of sore ribs but nothing else. Took one to Branson, MO and on the whole trip the average was 26 mpg. Had the Pentastar.

Glad you were/are OK.
However, crash protection isn't where the Journey needs improvement. It needs improvements in engineering, quality & reliability. All vehicles will protect you in a crash. Chrysler hasn't cared in years about the customer or the longevity of their vehicles as long as they're making money, and they are. They're not interested in being Toyota.

Plus... You Tube is a great source. IIRC Car Wizard, Scotty, and Exotic Car Play Place are just three who warn against the Dodge Journey.

Such a shame. I always liked the way these looked.

I'm not sure if I am understanding this correctly. Are you implying that your are still going to get the Journey anyway, even after all of the negative responses/replies in this thread?:unsure:

As crappy as journeys are, they are easier to sell than a 30 year old corvette. There is a bigger audience for the type of car.

That being said I didn’t get it. Car was not how the seller made it out to be.

As crappy as journeys are, they are easier to sell than a 30 year old corvette. There is a bigger audience for the type of car.

That being said I didn’t get it. Car was not how the seller made it out to be.
Well I must tell you as a fellow BITOG member, I am really glad that you didn’t get the Journey and I think others will feel the same. Another better choice vehicle will come your way.(y)

Totally understand the appeal of trading a (relatively) worthless C4 for something more practical, however a Journey should be the LAST thing you consider. This is coming from an indy tech that works on them ALL. THE. TIME.

The Journey hails from bankruptcy-era Chrysler. While all their other platforms slowly improved over the following years, vehicles like the last-gen minivans, the Journey, and the 200/Avenger twins soldiered on basically unchanged. The Journey/Avenger/200 all share an ancient Chrysler/Mitsubishi joint platform that was used in some form as the base for everything from the Eclipse to the Outlander, Jeep Patriot/Compass, and many more. To say it's outdated is... generous. On top of that, the Mitsubishi variants all seem to be built to MUCH higher standards than their American counterparts.

While I have to give Chrysler credit for extracting so much life out of a platform, it had seen better days long before it was retired. I completely understand not investing in a platform that's obsolete, however Chrysler would have been wise to at the very least update the quality of parts they were using to build the things. Again, specifically regarding the Journey, they went through all the trouble of completely redesigning the electrical architecture and adding fancy gauges and Uconnect along with stuffing the Pentastar/62TE combo under the hood which made them almost passable options. Unfortunately, everything else was left alone. Terribly cheap steering and suspension joints, bushings that barely last 3 years, wheel bearings seemingly made out of Lego pieces. They also like to eat ABS modules, they're mounted underneath the windshield cowl and water loves to wick up the harness and ruin the connector and module.

Back