Looking at Left Hand 30-06's

Hey guys. I am looking into getting a Left Handed 30-06 and wondering what you guys think of the Savage Brand. They seem well priced as compared to the Remington of which I am not a fan of these days. Left Handed is my issue as the pickens are limited!

Savage is decent. They’re like the inexpensive good brand. Think like SuperTech or Quaker State. I used to have a Savage 10 that shot lights out in .308. Sold it during the first gun craze though in the late 00s.

Hey guys. I am looking into getting a Left Handed 30-06 and wondering what you guys think of the Savage Brand. They seem well priced as compared to the Remington of which I am not a fan of these days. Left Handed is my issue as the pickens are limited!
Savage, out of the box, from the major non boutique gun builders are the most accurate, consistently. If has to do with how they are assembled and head-spaced mostly.

The 110 is a great rifle.

I like the idea of the long action, as it gives you much better selection of calibers later should you choose to change from a 30-06 to maybe 300 win mag, and barrel changes are very easy, and can be done with great precision, at home, no machining required.

The Savage Axis is not the same level of quality, so I cannot recommend that line.

I am left handed as well.

edit: deleted link as it was the wrong one

Last edited:
Savage is decent. They’re like the inexpensive good brand. Think like SuperTech or Quaker State. I used to have a Savage 10 that shot lights out in .308. Sold it during the first gun craze though in the late 00s.
I do not understand how you can call a rifle "decent" and compare it to a mediocre product, but then in the next sentence: ''lights out".

Savage, out of the box, from the major non boutique gun builders are the most accurate, consistently. If has to do with how they are assembled and head-spaced mostly.

The 110 is a great rifle.

I like the idea of the long action, as it gives you much better selection of calibers later should you choose to change from a 30-06 to maybe 300 win mag, and barrel changes are very easy, and can be done with great precision, at home, no machining required.

The Savage Axis is not the same level of quality, so I cannot recommend that line.

I am left handed as well.

Good info as it is the Savage Axis that caught my eye for its low price. I have( 2) 35 Rem Marlins that I love but ammo is hard to come by and quite expensive as of late. At 62 just want the bast bang for the buck! LOL

Good info as it is the Savage Axis that caught my eye for its low price. I have( 2) 35 Rem Marlins that I love but ammo is hard to come by and quite expensive as of late. At 62 just want the bast bang for the buck! LOL
The Axis is just not the same gun. Go with the 110. I just realized I sent the wrong link to Savage's site. The one I sent you is only available in 6.5 and 308......Good luck....I am not sure what you want the gun for, in 30-06 I assume hunting.

I do not understand how you can call a rifle "decent" and compare it to a mediocre product, but then in the next sentence: ''lights out".
I kinda can. Ruger 10/22's IMO are decent little rifles. I have 2. I've had as many as 4 or 5 at one time. I only have one that I will NEVER sell. It's not sentimental or anything, but it has always shot tighter groups with any given ammo than any of the other 10/22's that I've passed around. It is definitely a lights out Ruger yet still falls within that 'decent' category.

P90 Ruger .45ACP's were much the same. Very much still a P series pistol (think $349ish on sale before they discontinued them) but the reputation in the Ruger world from experienced shooters is second to none when it comes to accuracy.

Savage has always made accurate rifles, I would pick one over a new Remington. Now if you could find an older Remington 700 in good shape that would be a good choice also.

Because how it shoots is completely different than the quality and fit and finish of the rifle. The quality/fit and finish are nowhere near something like a nice Tikka or Sako, which is to be expected, most Savages are sub-$500 guns. They fill a segment like a Supertech or Quaker State oil does. However, that said, the accuracy on it (it being a Savage 10) was fantastic on a rifle under $1000-1500.

Based upon quite a few of your prior posts on BITOG, I am not surprised you don't see a difference.

I kinda can. Ruger 10/22's IMO are decent little rifles. I have 2. I've had as many as 4 or 5 at one time. I only have one that I will NEVER sell. It's not sentimental or anything, but it has always shot tighter groups with any given ammo than any of the other 10/22's that I've passed around. It is definitely a lights out Ruger yet still falls within that 'decent' category.

P90 Ruger .45ACP's were much the same. Very much still a P series pistol (think $349ish on sale before they discontinued them) but the reputation in the Ruger world from experienced shooters is second to none when it comes to accuracy.
I get it, but if a gun shoots "lights out" it is not decent, it is great.

The 10\22 is the world most popular 22lr semiauto by far. It is not just decent, especially when compared to other 22 semiautos.

Correkt. Anyone with an iota of common sense and IQ understands what I was saying, especially if they're a gun person.

Because how it shoots is completely different than the quality and fit and finish of the rifle. The quality/fit and finish are nowhere near something like a nice Tikka or Sako, which is to be expected, most Savages are sub-$500 guns. They fill a segment like a Supertech or Quaker State oil does. However, that said, the accuracy on it (it being a Savage 10) was fantastic on a rifle under $1000-1500.

Based upon quite a few of your prior posts on BITOG, I am not surprised you don't see a difference.
I am not sure what this means:

"Based upon quite a few of your prior posts on BITOG, I am not surprised you don't see a difference."

My question was not supposed to be taken as offensive, I just cant see how one can use the two in the same sentence. When talking about bolt guns, at least IMO, accuracy is #1. Nearly no bolt gun will be unreliable, it is just how it is. Fit and finish is important sure, you want a nice gun, but if it does not shoot worth a flip, is it a nice gun? No. It is junk, that looks good. Tikkas has had issues with non concentric receiver bores and inferior heat treatment.

Of course we are not talking GA Precision here, so I agree, in the gap to be filed under $1000. With that said, the most you can reasonably ask out of any gun, with factory ammo is 1 MOA on a good day. I have shot some very expensive custom guns, using factory loads that did not even do that.

I guess we are arguing what a good gun is.

I am not sure what this means:

"Based upon quite a few of your prior posts on BITOG, I am not surprised you don't see a difference."

My question was not supposed to be taken as offensive, I just cant see how one can use the two in the same sentence. When talking about bolt guns, at least IMO, accuracy is #1. Nearly no bolt gun will be unreliable, it is just how it is. Fit and finish is important sure, you want a nice gun, but if it does not shoot worth a flip, is it a nice gun? No. It is junk, that looks good. Tikkas has had issues with non concentric receiver bores and inferior heat treatment.

Of course we are not talking GA Precision here, so I agree, in the gap to be filed under $1000. With that said, the most you can reasonably ask out of any gun, with factory ammo is 1 MOA on a good day. I have shot some very expensive custom guns, using factory loads that did not even do that.

I guess we are arguing what a good gun is.
What’s happening is you’re trying to equate accuracy = great overall.

Accuracy is but one part of the picture.

It would be like having a Pinto that does 9s in the quarter mile. Is it fast? Absolutely. Is it a good/great car? God no.

Similar concept.

What’s happening is you’re trying to equate accuracy = great overall.

Accuracy is but one part of the picture.

It would be like having a Pinto that does 9s in the quarter mile. Is it fast? Absolutely. Is it a good/great car? God no.

Similar concept.
I see what you are saying. We will like not see eye to eye on this, as I go with function over form with guns. No problem, thanks for explaining.

I see what you are saying. We will like not see eye to eye on this, as I go with function over form with guns. No problem, thanks for explaining.
I prefer a well-balanced platform versus only having one area that’s great and mediocre/decent in others so yes, we will not see eye to eye.

I have a Savage 110 LH in 270. It’s the same gun just with a different barrel. It’s been responsible for a lot of deer over the last 25 years. It’s a tack driver. My LH Tikka 308 is slightly more accurate but that’s probably just variations between individual specimens.

I had a case head rupture due to a batch of deteriorated powder while shooting it from the bench. This was the moment I truly appreciated having a LH rifle because the jet of gas that blasted out of the relief hole blew a 50 round box off the bench next to me. If I had been shooting a RH rifle it probably would have taken off a finger. The rifle was fine.

I have a Savage 110 LH in 270. It’s the same gun just with a different barrel. It’s been responsible for a lot of deer over the last 25 years. It’s a tack driver. My LH Tikka 308 is slightly more accurate but that’s probably just variations between individual specimens.

I had a case head rupture due to a batch of deteriorated powder while shooting it from the bench. This was the moment I truly appreciated having a LH rifle because the jet of gas that blasted out of the relief hole blew a 50 round box off the bench next to me. If I had been shooting a RH rifle it probably would have taken off a finger. The rifle was fine.
As about to mimic this. I’ve had a left hand savage 11 .243, lh savage 110 apex hunter 30-06 and a lh tikka stainless 308. All of them shot well into an inch. Fit finish and feeding tikka takes it all the way. The stocks on the newer savages are very ergonomic and I prefer the 3 position safety over 2 positions. Accutrigger is good and anything you don’t like is changeable.

As about to mimic this. I’ve had a left hand savage 11 .243, lh savage 110 apex hunter 30-06 and a lh tikka stainless 308. All of them shot well into an inch. Fit finish and feeding tikka takes it all the way. The stocks on the newer savages are very ergonomic and I prefer the 3 position safety over 2 positions. Accutrigger is good and anything you don’t like is changeable.
My rifle predates the accutrigger by a few years but I sprung for an aftermarket unit. I think it was a Timney. The heavy trigger was always the weak spot on the earlier guns.

Back