Looking at Left Hand 30-06's

My rifle predates the accutrigger by a few years but I sprung for an aftermarket unit. I think it was a Timney. The heavy trigger was always the weak spot on the earlier guns.
In right hand I have two 110 270s both pre accutrigger. Both very solid shooting but heavy and those triggers are a bit of a bear.

As you said, your issue is going to be left hand, not if it's going to be accurate enough. A lot of manufacturers limit left hand production to just a few models, because they don't have a high demand.... Much like left handed golf clubs.

I'm pretty sure Weatherby still sells left handed models like the Vanguard with an, "accuracy guarantee". But you're going to pay more than you will for a Savage. I put "accuracy guarantee" in quotes because these guarantees are somewhat vague depending on the manufacturer.

They usually require a certain type of premium ammunition, (usually their brand), with a lot of other strings attached. It's still better to have than not have. Because most all of them include a factory fired test target. So it lessens the chance of a bad rifle getting out the door. Your advantage is that you want it in one of the most popular centerfire calibers in existence, (.30-06).

Many Moons ago when I bought my .338-378 Weatherby, these were some of the first groups I got out of it. They were handloads. (Weatherby factory .338-378 ammo was / is quite anemic).

But it shows what these rifles are capable of. The Vanguard models are priced much more affordably, (they are built on Howa actions, not the Mark V), and shoot very well right from the box.

That said, I have Savages that shoot just as well. You shouldn't have too much difficulty in finding either brand in a left hand model. Places like Davidson's, Grab-A-Gun, Gunprime, and CDNN Sports have very good inventories, and they will ship to most any FFL in your area.

1718703633138.jpeg

I mentioned lever action and semi autos because they can be used by right or left handed shooters.
Winchester just rolled out a pump action in 30-06 and 300 Win mag, but it hasn’t been released in North America yet.
.308 Win has a higher pressure limit than 30-06, so factory ammo is about equal in performance.

I can get the Savage Axis 30-06 in Left Hand for $372.24 out the door and then it comes with a $75 rebate making it under $300.

Savage, out of the box, from the major non boutique gun builders are the most accurate, consistently. If has to do with how they are assembled and head-spaced mostly.

The 110 is a great rifle.

I like the idea of the long action, as it gives you much better selection of calibers later should you choose to change from a 30-06 to maybe 300 win mag, and barrel changes are very easy, and can be done with great precision, at home, no machining required.

The Savage Axis is not the same level of quality, so I cannot recommend that line.

I am left handed as well.

edit: deleted link as it was the wrong one
I second this description.. We sell a lot of Bolt-Action Rifles and we have had consistently good results with Savage's There are prettier and higher end rifles on the market but I would never try to talk someone out of a good Savage.. There are several brands I try to stay away from and Savage isn't one of them.

I mentioned lever action and semi autos because they can be used by right or left handed shooters.
Winchester just rolled out a pump action in 30-06 and 300 Win mag, but it hasn’t been released in North America yet.
.308 Win has a higher pressure limit than 30-06, so factory ammo is about equal in performance.
You bring up an excellent point that I failed to mention. Lever, pump, and semi auto's are available in .308 and .30-06. And they are very similar in ballistics as you noted.

I have a Winchester Model 88 in .308, as well as a Remington 7400 semi auto in .30-06. I also have a Remington 7600 pump in .30-06 as well. All would be excellent choices for a left handed shooter.

The Model 88 isn't really a lever action in the sense of the word. It is more of a lever actuated rotary bolt action. As is the Remington 7600 pump. But all function well if kept clean and well lubricated. And if you don't get crazy with high performance handloads.

And there is also the excellent Springfield M1A in .308. And in the AR platform as well. Both are excellent semi autos.

As you said, your issue is going to be left hand, not if it's going to be accurate enough. A lot of manufacturers limit left hand production to just a few models, because they don't have a high demand.... Much like left handed golf clubs.

I'm pretty sure Weatherby still sells left handed models like the Vanguard with an, "accuracy guarantee". But you're going to pay more than you will for a Savage. I put "accuracy guarantee" in quotes because these guarantees are somewhat vague depending on the manufacturer.

They usually require a certain type of premium ammunition, (usually their brand), with a lot of other strings attached. It's still better to have than not have. Because most all of them include a factory fired test target. So it lessens the chance of a bad rifle getting out the door. Your advantage is that you want it in one of the most popular centerfire calibers in existence, (.30-06).

Many Moons ago when I bought my .338-378 Weatherby, these were some of the first groups I got out of it. They were handloads. (Weatherby factory .338-378 ammo was / is quite anemic).

But it shows what these rifles are capable of. The Vanguard models are priced much more affordably, (they are built on Howa actions, not the Mark V), and shoot very well right from the box.

That said, I have Savages that shoot just as well. You shouldn't have too much difficulty in finding either brand in a left hand model. Places like Davidson's, Grab-A-Gun, Gunprime, and CDNN Sports have very good inventories, and they will ship to most any FFL in your area.

View attachment 225625
Can ask for more than that, what would you say that was, $30 bucks in todays market? 6 shots.

Can ask for more than that, what would you say that was, $30 bucks in todays market? 6 shots.
I'm guessing somewhere around that. I don't shoot factory loads in any of my Weatherby's. I do have a few boxes of factory .460 Weatherby loads from when I bought my Mark V in .460.

I'm guessing factory loads for it are in the neighborhood of $10 bucks a pop or more. Even the brass is becoming outrageous.

(edit) $210.00 to $220.00 @ box from Weatherby.

If that is what the budget allows.......if i may ask, what is the gun for, specifically in 30-06?
Spare hunting rifle as I have (2) older 35 Marlin Remingtons which I love. One with the Gold trigger the other one without. Ammo is getting harder to find and I just bought some Hornedy stuff but at $40 per 20 rounds. Also have 870 Remingtons shotguns with rifled deer barrel. Going Deer hunting in WV this coming Nov after I thought I was done at 62 and now living in Fl.. Its more like want than need!

Spare hunting rifle as I have (2) older 35 Marlin Remingtons which I love. One with the Gold trigger the other one without. Ammo is getting harder to find and I just bought some Hornedy stuff but at $40 per 20 rounds. Also have 870 Remingtons shotguns with rifled deer barrel. Going Deer hunting in WV this coming Nov after I thought I was done at 62 and now living in Fl.. Its more like want than need!
Cool, just wondering. Around me, 100 yards is really about it for deer. Good luck on the purchase, always good to have a backup, God knows. I have several.

Just want the best bang for the buck. Not interested in something expensive but rather something that goes bang and get the deer!

Just want the best bang for the buck. Not interested in something expensive but rather something that goes bang and get the deer!
Then I don't think you can go wrong with a Savage left hand rifle / scope combination. You can get something to satisfy you in most any price range... And it will be harvesting meat long after you are gone.

On Gallery of Guns it does not say if the Savage Axis Left Handed 30-06 is the old discontinued model (Axis) or Axis II. How would I find out? Item number is worthless for search.

Back