Looking at 1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey you know the kid better than the internet so its up to the op if he thinks the kid is responsible. Is this the car he picked out did research on waited weeks for it to popup and wants? Or is it a random choice without thought behind it.You have to take that into consideration at some point to let him grow up and choose, but potentially with conditions.

Thats a parent decision though
Give him moms volvo for 6months.

This 1994 sports car is slower than a new v6 camry especially since its aged. This car is not known for being light and quick. You can get into trouble with any car.

The steering being off and brakes could be easily just an alignment and brake job. So those are less of an issue compared to the drivetrain smoking leaking or other unknown issues.
If you are afraid of mechanical issues. You let the new owner know, see if they still want it, make them scrape the money together for repairs. Heck have them pay 50 for a pre inspection at a shop

<--owned a 3000gt back in 1997 to 2001.

Last edited:
Is this the car that one has to pull the engine in order to change the (spark) plugs, or was that just a myth??
21.gif

Is this a VR-4, which is a twin turbo, and AWD, or is it the SL version which is NA and front wheel drive only??

For all I know, the turbos were whistling loudly due to an air intake leak, intercooler leak, or a hastily built intake from someone who doesn't know exactly what they are doing. Either case would lead to excessive sand being pulled through the intake, a disaster waiting to happen.

Although not all OEM intakes completely remove turbo whistle, the reduce it by a large amount.

It's most likely not a turbo. The turbo (VR4) was AWD and very hard to find in running condition. I had a regular 3000gt when they first came out, it had an intake whistle at part throttle and was smoking by 80k miles due to valve seals.

Great driving car though until a friends kid spun it backwards into a tree.

My 96 3000GT SL was the best car I've ever had (I had a 98 SL also,but I preferred the 96 over the 98,due to a manual tranny and it being bright red!). BUT,I bought it with only 20k miles on it,was only 3 years old,I was the 2nd owner,and took impeccable care of it.

The problem with these cars is that when younger owners get ahold of them,they DESTROY them. They're amazing,rugged,and dependable cars as long as they're not abused by teenaged owners.

I'm guessing the one you're looking at is either an SL or a base model. The SL will have leather and chrome plated wheels,whereas the base will have alloy wheels and cloth.

The VR4 (especially the Spyder) is a VERY collectable car,and they're rare as hen's teeth. Mint condition ones still fetch $$$$$$.

The one issue I can tell with the one you're looking at is the notch shifting. They're supposed to shift smooth as silk,with no notchiness. It may just need a tranny fluid change with a good GL4 75W90 fluid. The smoking is from the worn valve seals.

Also,mine preferred dino over synth. I wouldn't even consider running synth oil in this car if you decide to buy it.

I traded my 96 for the 98 when it had 135k on it,and it still ran and handled showroom fresh. Got bored and traded the 98 for my current Z32.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back