Longevity of Mercon LV in a 2017 Ford Escape?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Ford has stated, and I even saw a technical report/document about this, that the color of their LV fluid is not indicative of any problem. They say it will lose it's red color in just a few thousand miles (if I recall, they said 6000) and there's nothing wrong.

But it's hard to judge remaining fluid life or clutch wear when the fluid itself is changing colour so quickly.

Ford has stated, and I even saw a technical report/document about this, that the color of their LV fluid is not indicative of any problem. They say it will lose it's red color in just a few thousand miles (if I recall, they said 6000) and there's nothing wrong.

Nissan says the same BS. Why does it lose its color so fast when aftermarket synthetic fluids do not?
Toyota seems to have some of the worst OE fluid but others seem to be using some weak stuff from the factory as well now. Good enough to get out of the drive-train warranty but not good if you plan to keep it 100k+.

Had a customer with a F150 that did not even tow and his trans went out at around 120k. I asked how often he changed the fluid. He said never, its "filled for life". Well hes not wrong, it lasted as long as the transmission and he got new fluid with his 4k bill.

I have the 6F35 in my Fusion. I'm going to do drain and refills every other oil change, so about once every 20,000 miles. 4 qts of Mag1 LV is under $20.

Originally Posted by StevieC
But it's hard to judge remaining fluid life or clutch wear when the fluid itself is changing colour so quickly.

Complain to Ford/Motorcraft (??)

Originally Posted by StevieC

Complain to Ford/Motorcraft (??)

Or just don't use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back