Longevity of low end serpentine belt

Usually, even low end parts come with great descriptions. Low end brake pads promise to stop just as great as OEM or better. Low end alternator rebuilds promise equal output as OEM. Low end starter rebuilds claim more new components.

However, that's not the case for low end serpentine belts. Most descriptions of low end serpentine belts explicitly say they will fit, but do NOT expect OEM longevity or performance. I mean, just read the description here:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...elt-hose-serpentine-belt/k060775/4435190

It's the same for most low end serpentine belts. Even Continental says that it's Mileage Maker belts may not last as long as OEM.

So, my question is: how long do low end serpentine belts last in your experience? I recently purchased and installed a MasterPro belt and I'm about to take the car on a 2000 mile road trip, and I'd rather not experience any failures. The MasterPro belt looks and feels cheap, but it was the only belt available locally and I didn't feel like waiting on Amazon. I would like to hear real experiences.

Last edited:
Just buy a Gates or Goodyear Gatorback and be done with it. Why mess with some off brand just to save a couple of bucks? It makes no sense. Who cares how long a cheap, $16 belt will last? If it breaks, your done. Depending where it happens, it could cost you more than a lifetime supply. And all for what, trying to save $15 or $20 bucks over a good one? Lunacy.

Is it hard to replace? You could carry a spare and return it to the store when you get back if you don't end up using it.
But I would look for a better one at Napa..first.

Expect the budget belts to last about a year possibly two years at best. I bought some belts from Toyota and they were garbage, went to Napa and the Gates lasted 3X longer. Just remember the grooves wear out even when the belt looks OK. Some auto parts stores (AAP) give you a plastic gauge to check the belt grooves. The other guys said to get a decent quality belt unless the bargain belt is all you can afford. BTW: Stay away from Bando because it don't fit right (too small) and the grooves are not formed properly.

I have never had a serpentine belt break or come apart . Low end , high end or OEM . Usually tried to replace them when cracking started .

I agree , buy a good belt and either keep it as a spare , if you carry toold to change it in the car . Remember , if the belt goes bad , the engine likely will be too hot to work on for a while . Wasted time .

Better would be to replace the belt at home with the engine cool and keep the cheap belt as a spare .

Best of luck on your trip , :)

Originally Posted by billt460
Just buy a Gates or Goodyear Gatorback and be done with it. Why mess with some off brand just to save a couple of bucks? It makes no sense. Who cares how long a cheap, $16 belt will last? If it breaks, your done. Depending where it happens, it could cost you more than a lifetime supply. And all for what, trying to save $15 or $20 bucks over a good one? Lunacy.

As I stated in my post, cost wasn't the issue. Immediate availability was why I went with the house brand.

Originally Posted by Deontologist
I recently purchased and installed a MasterPro belt and I'm about to take the car on a 2000 mile road trip, and I'd rather not experience any failures.

As has been posted previously, take your MasterPro belt off and use it as a spare. Install an OEM, Gates, or another good quality belt on the engine. Just one less thing to worry about.

It will be fine.

Order a GOOD one if you plan to keep the vehicle a few more (3+) years.

Drive it for a few months - it has a 1 year warranty, which it will reach easily.
If it gives you problems, swap on the good one (that you ordered in the next few weeks), and return this one to the store.

Even the "low" end belts are made from EPDM now. So they should last around 100k on average if nothing else breaks/interferes with the belt.

As I stated in my post, cost wasn't the issue. Immediate availability was why I went with the house brand.

Many parts stores carry Gates. I got mine at O'Reilly. Goodyear Service Centers are everywhere. Most of the chain parts stores like Auto Zone, NAPA, Advance, Pep Boy's all carry different quality levels of the same part. In fact, I have never been in one that didn't.

Even if it's not in stock, they can have it trucked to them in a couple of hours from another store.

Change it and keep it as a spare. If it breaks and you have an interference engine...good bye engine, is it worth it?!

Originally Posted by Pelican
Change it and keep it as a spare. If it breaks and you have an interference engine...good bye engine, is it worth it?!

A serpentine belt won't cause damage in an interference engine if it fails... Only the timing belt.

Originally Posted by Pelican

A serpentine belt won't cause damage in an interference engine if it fails... Only the timing belt.

They have MasterPro timing belts but I wouldn't touch those unless I was flipping the car. They similarly claim non-OEM longevity.

Last edited:

Many parts stores carry Gates. I got mine at O'Reilly. Goodyear Service Centers are everywhere. Most of the chain parts stores like Auto Zone, NAPA, Advance, Pep Boy's all carry different quality levels of the same part. In fact, I have never been in one that didn't.

Even if it's not in stock, they can have it trucked to them in a couple of hours from another store.

Carrying and stocking are two different things and you can't always wait overnight.

original oem Toyota belt I have at 114k miles and still going, 2.7l engine, when the time does come i'll get the same OEM belt at $80 because of the quality/durability. theres seems to be a difference in the Toyota OEM Bando made belt and the aftermarket Bandos sold for $25 for some reason, ive seen a couple of unfavorable reviews on AMAZON the aftermarket BANDO belts prematurely shredding up.

Last edited:
agree with the rest. once the emergency is over order a good belt abd replace and return the cheap one. keeping it as a spare may not be effective since a new good one should last a long time and your cheap spare may take a set or dry rot in that time and fail quickly once put into service, swap out for a good one then get on a maintenance schedule with them

If the original belt is intact, throw it into the trunk along with the tools to change, Include a gallon of coolant. If in your travels you pass by a Gates or a Dayco outlet. drop in
grin2.gif

I'd think the cheap belt will last at least 50k miles. Order a Gates from Amazon and change it when you get home. Or buy a good one at home and throw it in the car with some tools so you're prepared for worst case.

Originally Posted by jrvn
original oem Toyota belt I have at 114k miles and still going, 2.7l engine, when the time does come i'll get the same OEM belt at $80 because of the quality/durability. theres seems to be a difference in the Toyota OEM Bando made belt and the aftermarket Bandos sold for $25 for some reason, ive seen a couple of unfavorable reviews on AMAZON the aftermarket BANDO belts prematurely shredding up.

The Toyota OE belt I have in my car are made by Mitsuboshi (not a typo, it is an "o" not "i").
It is not Bando.

Last edited:
Back