Long--vs--short oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
I come from the old school think that oci of 4,000 miles is cheap insurance. But now that I have found this site maybe I need to rethink my way of thinking. Can an oci of 10,000+ (with uoa) provide the same protection as and oci of 4,000? It just blows my mind to think that an oil with 10,000+ miles (or once a year) can PROTECT the SAME as fresh oil more often, but if it is a FACT then I should do it. Take it easy on me guys, I'm new to this stuff LOL. Thanks for time and input!!!!

Pee Wee

I did a 4,100 miles OCI with Schaeffers 5W-30 Blend in my wife's Explorer and then the very next OCI I went 8,200 miles with the Schaeffers again. The UOA was basically the same. Other than the TBN the wear numbers were no worse and in some cases less. That was most likely do to more running in "warmer" weather. It depends upon the oil and vehicle as to whether you can do longer OCI's. I think that for most dino oils 5,000 mile OCI's are fine for "normal" driving. Though some auto companies are pushing for higher OCI's with dino. I'd be leery unless I did an UOA and get professional advise, such as Terry Dyson's, first to see how the dino is holding up to say 6,000 mile OCI's before going longer.

Whimsey

quote:

I come from the old school think that oci of 4,000 miles is cheap insurance.

You're still not alone ...even here. Join the fun. You can come out of your cubbiehole and reach beyond your current OCI. Many excellent oils out there now. You may even get into "mixology"
shocked.gif
(visions of the con artist fox in Pinnocio oscillating his eybrows up and down when he said "Fame" ..can be exchanged for Twilight Zone theme music
freak2.gif
).

Why don't you describe your vehicle and driving habits??? I'm sure the boys here will give you lots of great ideas on what you can use. Me? I'm into XOCI and sythetics unless it's a beater/comsumer.

This could be the beginning of Pee Wee's Big Adventure

If you drove 30,000 miles a year then synthetic every 10,000 miles is probably a good alternative.

Taking a year to get 10,000 miles on a vehicle typically means many short trips and that is a better application for more frequent changes.

The studies generally indicate no wear advantages for synthetics verses dino oils. The advantages of synthetics are better flow for cold starts and extended drain intervals.

In your case, 10,000 miles a year, I would stay with dino every 4,000 miles. Watch the sales and get an API certified, SAE rated oils for under a dollar a quart (brand makes little, if any difference).

Well, I sort of disagree. Both children, while at college, I went with once a year changes due to inability to service etc. and they averaged 9-12,000 miles a year. Both cars did well, still driving one and the UOA is fine also. Lots of short trips coupled with drives home etc. It depends on the engine, climate, oil etc. but in retrospect I made the right decision. In fact this year daughter will have about 14,000 miles on oil when I change it over the holidays.

Of course, no one can define a good UOA, it has so many variables and honestly, no one can also show that a poor UOA has any effect on a engine making 200,000 miles. Only if coolant etc but a well running engine will make it under either scenario.
I used/use synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back