Long-term HDEO use in an oil burner?

My 2009 Scion has the troublesome 2az-fe engine. A piston soak plus a couple of flushes have greatly Improved oil consumption from a quart in 1000 using a CK-4/SN rated 5w-40 HDEO. I’m very pleased with the reduced consumption and am hopeful that using the HDEO will result in even more cleaning of the oil control rings and drain holes.

My question is about long-term use of a 5w-40 HDEO in an engine that’s supposed to us a 0w-20 PCMO. The engine has 154k and the car is a spare/beater, so the world won’t end if it dies, but obviously I would prefer that it not. What’s better for a car in the long term: using the oil grade it specifies or using one that helps significantly reduce consumption? My gut tells me they wouldn’t give an oil an S rating unless it was OK for extended use. Right?
0W-20 is only their for the sole purpose of CAFE

Tried that it didn’t do squat in my 09’ Camrys 2AZ-FE ENGINE

Did piston soak recently with b12. Then put some SM DELO 10w30 dad gave me 7 gallon jugs of. So far the oil is still at correct mark on dipstick. Kinda sooty black looking but it registers
B12, followed by BMW Top Engine Cleaner worked miracles for me. I got my oil consumption down to 2.5K/quart. While my current fill is D1G2 Havoline Pro-DS, I prefer to run dual-rated CK-4/SN or Euro oils.

However… I’m in on an order of HPL. This Prius ain’t going on long road trips - and I put about 12K on it a year. So I’m gonna experiment with HPL in that car.

Never read where the 2AZ-FE was an oil burner. The 2.4's are awful for sure. I got a used 2010 XD and it uses little to none. I have been running Delvac 1300 15W-40 with great success. Inexpensive and easily went 15K miles last oil change.

Never read where the 2AZ-FE was an oil burner. The 2.4's are awful for sure. I got a used 2010 XD and it uses little to none. I have been running Delvac 1300 15W-40 with great success. Inexpensive and easily went 15K miles last oil change.
2az-fe is a 2.4

I e been running Rural King Citgo made 10w30 HDEO in mine lately. Did another kreen soak also. Also been using Valero premium gas with Betrymans B-12 in fuel. Consumption has slowed over the past 2 weeks 👍

I e been running Rural King Citgo made 10w30 HDEO in mine lately. Did another kreen soak also. Also been using Valero premium gas with Betrymans B-12 in fuel. Consumption has slowed over the past 2 weeks 👍
Citgo makes some decent cost effective products IMO. I’m using Farm and Fleet 5w40 in my OPE, Citgo FS 5w30 in the cars and Mystik JT-8 15w40 for my Ram. I also use Mystik’s gear oil in the differentials.

Just my $0.02

In oils with higher Zinc, you may be replacing the CAT due to the oil blowing past the low friction rings. But best of luck/success to you. (y)
My Cobalt started throwing a secondary O2 sensor error after several HDEO oil changes

Went back to 10w30 PP and error self cleared

What about Redline oil? I realize it is pretty pricey but doesn't it have one of the highest ester content? Just bought my 08 Accord about three weeks ago, no idea what oil is in it (had fresh oil change from dealer) but it is not using oil at a high rate. I have almost 1,200 miles on it and it's still 3/4 full on the dipstick. So not bad at all. But I am still considering a couple of runs with Redline to clean up any carbon deposits that might exist on the rings.

Back