Long lasting snow tires

I have a 2500HD and been running the Blizzak w965 in the winter. Love the tire so far, but the Blizzaks have the multi-cell compound that only goes about halfway into the tread.

I am getting close to running them down past the multicell compound and thinking about next winter. Is there an E-rated studless snow tire that will last longer than the Blizzaks? Or do all of the studless snow tires have a special compound that only makes up part of the tread depth?

Winter tires are only good down to 5/32 anyway. After that, there's not enough tread to bite into the snow, so many people end up just using the last few 32 to ride out teh spring time

blizzak LT, winterforce LT, general grabber arctic lt?

of those 3 I'd vote for the generals.

NOTE: The top 55% of the Blizzak W965's useable tread depth consists of the exclusive Tube Multicell tread compound. The remaining 45% consists of a standard winter tread compound. Snow platform indicators (the equivalent of "snow wear bars") are molded into the tread grooves to inform the driver as the tire's tread wear reaches 50% of the tread depth.

by the time you are at 45% tread depth its about time for the junk pile anyway.. but those w965 are probably some of the least treadlife HD winter tires out there.

Just the Blizzak W and WS series have the multi-cell compound for the first half of the tread. Other Blizzak like the LM-series on performance cars have a high silica tread compound for the entire tread.

Maybe try a Winterforce tire from Bridgestone's cheaper brand, Firestone.
ok do you know about the blizzak LT that replaced the W965? that might be perfect, i need E load range.

I run BFG Commercial Traction studded up on my dually, It lasts me easily 3 winters to get to 50% tread remaining. I also have run Goodyear Duratracs studded on a different truck, get the same lifetime out of them too. Both are outstanding in the snow.

just checked and I am at 7/32nds. Considering they are 18/32nds new, I assume I’ve been out of the multicell compound for some time now. I guess I will just run them through May and get the Blizzak LT this winter.

I run BFG Commercial Traction studded up on my dually, It lasts me easily 3 winters to get to 50% tread remaining. I also have run Goodyear Duratracs studded on a different truck, get the same lifetime out of them too. Both are outstanding in the snow.
i actually have duratracs on a 72 Chevy K10, but for my 2500HD I want to go with studless winter tires. Something like a Duratrac would be better if I were going offroad at all, but offroad stops for me in October after hunting season and from then on I am just dealing with slick roads.

I ran General Altimax for 9 years and still had 5/32 left....still gripped well, but it was time to change to new tires. Firestone Winterforce lasted long time, but the road noise was intolerable after half worn. Walmart Wintermate house brand also lasted 7 years at 4/32. Currently running X-Ice 3 so hopefully, they wear well.

I have a 2500HD and been running the Blizzak w965 in the winter. Love the tire so far, but the Blizzaks have the multi-cell compound that only goes about halfway into the tread.

I am getting close to running them down past the multicell compound and thinking about next winter. Is there an E-rated studless snow tire that will last longer than the Blizzaks? Or do all of the studless snow tires have a special compound that only makes up part of the tread depth?
Does Michelin makes snow tires in that size? If so, that is probably best bet. Of all snow tires I had they were longest lasting, not the best (among best for sure) but definitely, by far, longest lasting.

Does Michelin makes snow tires in that size? If so, that is probably best bet. Of all snow tires I had they were longest lasting, not the best (among best for sure) but definitely, by far, longest lasting.
i will have to check. i like to run a 245/75r17 instead of 265/70r17 - gives me more clearance for chains/cables. but the 265/70 has a lot more options, particularly for winter tires.

i will have to check. i like to run a 245/75r17 instead of 265/70r17 - gives me more clearance for chains/cables. but the 265/70 has a lot more options, particularly for winter tires.
Yeah, I cannot see Michelin winter in those sizes. Bridgestone has LT Blizzak in both sizes.

Yeah, I cannot see Michelin winter in those sizes. Bridgestone has LT Blizzak in both sizes.
they do make an LTX winter in the 265, e load range with a 40k mileage warranty. that is exactly what i am looking for, thank you!

and my wife’s subaru needs the blizzaks replaced, ice x looks perfect for her car.

they do make an LTX winter in the 265, e load range with a 40k mileage warranty. that is exactly what i am looking for, thank you!

and my wife’s subaru needs the blizzaks replaced, ice x looks perfect for her car.
I was looking Costco they did not have anything Michelin in that size, so good. I suppose to look their web site.

Been running Hercules Avalanche X-treme on a 2500 Ram diesel truck for seven winters now, I probably have 35k-40k on mine currently. I should get two more winters out of mine.

the xice snow is the new model (for the subaru)
tire-x-ice-snow-suv-front.jpg

Back