Blizzak WS70 Replaced by Blizzak VRX ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AboutTires
…………..My next Q into Bridgestone is whether a WS70 replacement is actually in the works or if they're standing pat with a tech-challenged winter tire. Stay tuned!
smile.gif

I believe I read on your site that the new Blizzak WS80 will be introduced Feb 7, 2014 ?

Yeah, Bridgestone is launching the WS80 at their Winter Driving School on the 7th. I'll be there to review it, which somewhat makes up for not being able to wangle an invite to the Super Bowl.
smile.gif

They've been very secretive about details - I was only able to confirm that the launch was for the WS80 a couple days ago.

Cool. Looking forward to your write up. Hopefully Bridgestone is confident enough in the performance of the new WS80 to have the Michelin Xi3 and Nokian R2 there for comparison.

Well, driving starts tomorrow, but here's what I know so far:

The Tube Multicell Compound is still the same percentage of tread depth as the WS70. Apparently there are technical issues surrounding how the compound is made, plus they need the firmer foundation of the underlying all season compound to keep the tire from being too soft.

The compound adds a "hydrophilic" coating that attracts water into the microscopic tubes.

There are more tread blocks, more sipes and more use of 3d self-locking sipes, especially sipes specifically made for lateral stability to cut down on dry-road wiggle.

Following Michelin and Nokian, they've added angled tread blocks for lateral bite. Everybody seems to be buying into the angled block technology this year.

The tire just looks pretty cool.
smile.gif

So for those interested, the comparatives were the Xi3 and Goodyear's Ultra Grip Ice WRT. We had beautiful conditions with constant snowfall and I was very impressed by the Blizzaks in general. Lateral snow grip was particularly good. The tires will go on sale in July.

……………..The Tube Multicell Compound is still the same percentage of tread depth as the WS70. Apparently there are technical issues surrounding how the compound is made, plus they need the firmer foundation of the underlying all season compound to keep the tire from being too soft………….

But TireRack says: "The Blizzak WS70 features a dual-compound tread with Bridgestone's NanoPro-Tech silica-enhanced Tube Multicell compound layered on top of a standard winter compound."

Do I read the above correctly? Does the WS70 have a winter compound under the multi cell layer, and now the WS80 will have an all season compound under the multi cell layer?

Last edited:
My bad. According to the product manager, the rubber compound itself is the same, it's just that the inner 45% doesn't have the micro-bubbles blown into it. That makes the underlying compound firmer and makes it, according to the same manager, "a really good all-season tire" once the tubes are gone, which is what confused me. I would maybe describe it as "a decent winter tire" instead, as it's still a cold-weather compound.

I'm going to buy a set for my MINI next fall. Had the Blizzak WS-50 and then Blizzak WS-60s.

Looks like the tread design is totally different from the WS70.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
I wonder why Continental does not bring their best performance winters, the TS830 and TS850, to north America ? Seems those tires would work very well in the winters here. Winter tire marketing can be mysterious.
confused2.gif

Mother's Civic in Europe needs winter tires... I am deciding between the TS850 and Nokian WR D3 for it. Both seem highly rated.

I've driven the Hakka R, Xi3 and the WS70 heads-up against each other at 4/32. Trust me, the WS70 was no longer in the same league. That's what I mean by tech-challenged, and why I want to hear about the next gen. WS70 is a good snow tire, but until TMC makes up 100% of tread it's not a great one. IMO, of course.

Nearly all winter tire brands recommend replacement at around 1/2 tread depth, and many include "snow" bar tread depth indicators, as well as the usual 2/32 wear bars. If you want the best traction possible, you will be replacing that Blizzak just as the tube multicell whatever compound wears out...

That being said, I have driven on Nokian RSI's at 3 or 4/32's , amd they STILL worked extremely well in deep snow and ice... full depth siping and an ultra aggressive tread pattern and compound. Got 5 years out of them... but they were at the super squirmy end of the winter squirmy scale when new , at high speeds on dry roads.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: sciphi
About time they came out with a tire that stayed effective throughout its lifespan. I swore off Blizzaks with the earlier version good for only a little bit after experiencing first-hand how horrible they were without that compound. Needless to say, these will need to be nothing short of amazing to ever earn my business again.

I largely agree. The WS70 was clearly falling behind the competition in recent years.

I never liked those tires even when they were new... (I bought a set new for one of my Saturns) I have no problems not buying those anymore.

well since we revived this thread
smile.gif

have these chillin in the breezeway ready to go on in a few weeks.
ws80beef.jpg

I agree that the ws-70 are pretty much an all season at 5/32 and below.. of course I replace my winter tires by then.

Last edited:
Those WS80's look like a non-directional version of the old Blizzak LM-25's. Still not a fan due to the multicell compound.

Those WS80's look like a non-directional version of the old Blizzak LM-25's. Still not a fan due to the multicell compound.

I guess I'm just not understanding but the multicell compound runs to 6/32" depth.. and I plan on replacing the tires then anyway as below that snow traction is usually bad regardless of the tread compound.
Also the base compound is "basically" the multicell compound without the bubbles.. still a winter compound.

explain it to me? (not being sarcastic)

Its also much improved as are all class leading tires.. vs tires 10 years ago.

I do understand the whole.. once burned twice shy thing.. plenty of other great wintertire choices out there. If there had been a significantly cheaper option I may have went in a different direction, ex the yokohama ig51v, unfortunately I dislike DTD's steelies and they were nearly the same price on cheap alloy wheels from DTD as my blizzacks from TR on steel wheels.

Just bought a set of WS70's from Tire Rack on closeout for $91 each. I ran a set of Blizzaks (WS50's?) from 2002 to 2008, and they did OK once they wore through the multicellular compound, but they did have noticeably less grip. Then I went with Michelin X-Ice 2's, and they didn't seem to have the same ultimate grip when new that the Blizzaks did, but over the years, they didn't lose as much grip. They were still pretty good last winter.

This time, I have changed sizes from 225/55-16 to 225/60-16 to raise the bottom of the car ~11mm to increase its ground clearance. This should improve the Camaro's ability to go through deep snow. Not looking forward to the mushy steering response this will give on dry pavement, but since it's only for 4 months, I'll get through it.

Originally Posted By: Rand

I guess I'm just not understanding but the multicell compound runs to 6/32" depth.. and I plan on replacing the tires then anyway as below that snow traction is usually bad regardless of the tread compound.
Also the base compound is "basically" the multicell compound without the bubbles.. still a winter compound.

explain it to me? (not being sarcastic)

Its also much improved as are all class leading tires.. vs tires 10 years ago.

I do understand the whole.. once burned twice shy thing.. plenty of other great wintertire choices out there. If there had been a significantly cheaper option I may have went in a different direction, ex the yokohama ig51v, unfortunately I dislike DTD's steelies and they were nearly the same price on cheap alloy wheels from DTD as my blizzacks from TR on steel wheels.

The difference in grip between the multicell compound and the regular compound was drastic. Having the car perform drastically differently is (and was in my case) enough to result in a nasty crash. Having that "flip of a switch" reduction in performance when the fronts were worn through but the rears were not is not something I'd wish upon anybody.

The non-multicell winter tires I've experienced since, such as the Hakka R's, Altimax Arctics or Blizzak LM-25's, have shown much more predictability in performance as they have worn since they're similar compound throughout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back