Logitech Keyboard and Mouse issues with Linux Cinnamon?

Is anyone running Linux Cinnamon 20 or 20.1 having issues with keyboard and mouse lag? I had a Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse for a very long time and it finally broke. I went with a wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse, and the lag is driving me nuts. Searching message boards left me scratching my head. It is occasional but annoying, and my wife is tired of hearing me drop F-bombs. I'm asking here because in all honesty I got better help here than on the Linux boards. TIA

Any chance you could boot a live USB of another (perhaps non ubuntu based) linux and use for a few hours and see if the issue still occurs.

How are we sure the new one actually isn't malfunctioning?

How far away is the receiver from the setup? Sometimes they come with a USB extension cable to get it nice and close to the kb/mouse. Try different USB ports. Also download the unifying software from logitech, maybe there are firmware updates for the receiver. I've actually see it where if the usb port next to the logitech receiver is populated it creates lag.

Any chance you could boot a live USB of another (perhaps non ubuntu based) linux and use for a few hours and see if the issue still occurs.

How are we sure the new one actually isn't malfunctioning?
I could, although I haven't tried and wouldn't know which OS to try. I have tried two other Logitech keyboards and mice and had the same issue, and no problems with the MSFT keyboard and mouse that died. So it leads me to believe the problem I'm having has something to do with Logitech. I did a search for Logitech drivers for Linux,and get the impression Logitech doesn't care much about Linux, which might have me buying MSFT again if I can't resolve it.

How far away is the receiver from the setup? Sometimes they come with a USB extension cable to get it nice and close to the kb/mouse. Try different USB ports. Also download the unifying software from logitech, maybe there are firmware updates for the receiver.
The receiver is very close about 1' away, using different USB ports either on the front or the back of the tower makes no difference. I see no software from Logitech for Linux. At the moment it seems to working OK, then there are issues after some use. The problem is intermittent.

I'm assuming Linux Mint with the Cinnamon graphical environment?

I've never had any lag with a logitech wireless mouse in that setup. I used that up until a year or so ago at home without any sort of lag

I'm assuming Linux Mint with the Cinnamon graphical environment?

I've never had any lag with a logitech wireless mouse in that setup. I used that up until a year or so ago at home without any sort of lag
That's the one, Cinnamon 20.1. I'm hoping a kernel update might fix it. They update the kernels from time to time.

I would try to rule out the OS and run something else like @simple_gifts said. Flash something like ubuntu or manjaro to a flash drive and boot it up. See if problem goes away.

FWIW I run KDE Neon on my home laptop (Lenovo T460s) and it's fantastic.

I would try to rule out the OS and run something else like @simple_gifts said. Flash something like ubuntu or manjaro to a flash drive and boot it up. See if problem goes away.
I'll give it a shot. I'm pretty sure it's the OS because the keyboard and mouse work fine on my Win 10 tower.

I'd try to see if there's an updated chipset driver for your system on Linux systems. It's possible there's something going on that's causing USB to not work properly

I'd try to see if there's an updated chipset driver for your system on Linux systems. It's possible there's something going on that's causing USB to not work properly
The drivers are all current. I think I found the problem. I have two PC towers on my desktop, about 3' apart. Since the windows mouse and keyboard died I am now using two Logitech mice and keyboards. I have a feeling the receivers are interfering with each other. Even with one reciever plugged into the back of the Win 10 tower, the other is on the front of the Linux tower. When I powered off the Win 10 tower the problem went away on the Linux tower. Logitech support said that could happen and sent me a link to download and try on the Win 10 tower. Unifying.exe software. Moving the towers is not an option unfortunately. I have a feeling the software is not the fix, I'll give it a shot over the weekend. I have a feeling I might have to buy another MSFT mouse and keyboard. :(

The drivers are all current. I think I found the problem. I have two PC towers on my desktop, about 3' apart. Since the windows mouse and keyboard died I am now using two Logitech mice and keyboards. I have a feeling the receivers are interfering with each other. Even with one reciever plugged into the back of the Win 10 tower, the other is on the front of the Linux tower. When I powered off the Win 10 tower the problem went away on the Linux tower. Logitech support said that could happen and sent me a link to download and try on the Win 10 tower. Unifying.exe software. Moving the towers is not an option unfortunately. I have a feeling the software is not the fix, I'll give it a shot over the weekend. I have a feeling I might have to buy another MSFT mouse and keyboard. :(
Yes, above I said to get the unifying software but it will need to be ran on the windows machine.

Yes, above I said to get the unifying software but it will need to be ran on the windows machine.
Thanks. What exactly will that software do? I have the Win 10 machine working perfectly, and that thought of installing software I know nothing about scares me. lol

Try the mouse/keyboard that suppose to be used in the Linux computer to see if it moves the cursor of the Win computer from where the Linux computer is located. If it does, then it is interfering and the windows computer win.

Try the mouse/keyboard that suppose to be used in the Linux computer to see if it moves the cursor of the Win computer from where the Linux computer is located. If it does, then it is interfering and the windows computer win.
It doesn't do that, but after over an hour of turning off the Win 10 machine I am not having any problems.

Thanks. What exactly will that software do? I have the Win 10 machine working perfectly, and that thought of installing software I know nothing about scares me. lol

It should allow you to change the channel they are communicating on which may reduce or eliminate the issue.

It should allow you to change the channel they are communicating on which may reduce or eliminate the issue.
Thanks, I installed it, it said it updated the firmware or software[?] to the most current version, but there is no user interface to change anything.

I think it is achieved using unpair/pair in the case of the Unifying stuff.
I installed it as I mentioned, got a message that it was now updated with the current software/firmware [I should have written it down.] Both PC's are running and seem to be OK, for now. Worst case is I buy a keyboard and mouse from someone other than Logitech I guess.

Back