Weird Keyboard/Mouse Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually use my MacBook for Internet browsing, but I need to use my Windows-based Thinkpad for applications like AutoEnginuity as well as email sometimes. Here's the problem...

I'm running Windows 10 with all the most recent updates available and recently I started getting a random popup window about filter keys with a yes or no option to allow them or not. Usually it comes up at the welcome screen before you log in. I usually click no, but even if I click yes, there's an array of issues that come up:

- I do not have a separate number keypad on this laptop, so if I need to enter numbers I have to use the multifunction keys below the F keys. Pressing 1 will yield !, 2 will give me @ and 3 will give me #, etc. as if the shift key is stuck.

- You could start typing in small letters and half way through a word, caps lock comes on. Toggling the caps lock key will sometimes work. Using the arrow keys to move between letters will start highlighting. This has made typing a nightmare.

- Clicking on an application on the taskbar or in an Internet browser like Chrome will open new windows. Click on a Word document and you'll have a blank document on the taskbar right next to it. Clicking on any link in the browser will open it in a new window.

- If I'm looking at files in a folder and click on something, it will act as if the control key is pressed and clicking on one file will select a whole batch of them.

I've gone into Control Panel and played around with a number of features like sticky keys and filter keys to no avail. The fact that if is affecting the mouse means this is probably not the issue and it's driving me out the wall. Any input will be MUCH appreciated! Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

Have you tried plugging in external keyboard and/or mouse?
If that works, that may mean the keyboard/mouse on the laptop is giving up.

Thanks for the input. Sorry I should have mentioned I'm using an external mouse. The mouse issue it still there, regardless of whether I'm using the handheld or the mousepad built in. I haven't tried an external keyboard just yet.

Yep, try a known good keyboard. I had a weird computer issue a while back and never figured it out. Then it happened again a week ago and I discovered that one of the ALT keys was partially stuck down.

The keyboard has low profile keys, so it was hard to see that it was stuck partially down. Removed the keyboard and vacuumed it out real good and seems to be fine again.

Probably a malfunctioning keyboard. Try removing and unplugging the built in keyboard.. to troubleshoot it

or get some kind of program that gives you a log of what keys are pressed

keypose perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back