Having problems with Thunderbird in Win 11 and Linux Mint

TIA. I'm having issues with Thunderbird email in both Linux Mint and in Windows 11. I've used it for years w/o issue, but in the past few months if I look at an email in yahoo when using Thunderbird, Thunderbird freezes up and I have to force quit the program. It doesn't do it all the time, but today it is very annoying. It has to be something with yahoo is my bet, but this is fairly recent. I'm wondering if anyone else is having an issue, and what was done for a fix?

Firstly, you are spot on this is a yahoo issue, since their mail client has been utter garbage for ...well... ever. AT&T at one point offered "free email" with an internet service, usually provided through yahoo's client, and holly crap did it never want to work with neither thunderbird nor outlook, for very long. I usually end up having issue's with their servers once a year, and it can last days, even up to a week.

I just switched to Google's Gmail and never looked back.

Firstly, you are spot on this is a yahoo issue, since their mail client has been utter garbage for ...well... ever. AT&T at one point offered "free email" with an internet service, usually provided through yahoo's client, and holly crap did it never want to work with neither thunderbird nor outlook, for very long. I usually end up having issue's with their servers once a year, and it can last days, even up to a week.

I just switched to Google's Gmail and never looked back.
I'd ditch yahoo, but I used it for business and have done so for years. I might end up removing it from Thunderbird and just logging into yahoo if I can't find a fix.

Are you using yahoo's domain name? If not, maybe its possible through a google corporate account to migrate the domain name and thus end users will never know the difference.

Are you using yahoo's domain name? If not, maybe its possible through a google corporate account to migrate the domain name and thus end users will never know the difference.
I just use yahoo default settings for Thunderbird. I use it to email customers, save correspondences etc. I have a handful of customers I still work for and don't want to complicate things for myself or them. Worst case is I just log into yahoo mail and work from their site instead of Thunderbird. My other emails play nice with Thunderbird.

There was a massive T-Bird update a few months ago; version 115 as I recall, and it is present in the Ubuntu LTS (and therefore Mint) repositories. I wonder if their authentication w/ Yahoo suffered a stability regression.

I'd start T-Bird from the command line in a Terminal (I'd presume the command to simply be "thunderbird"). Once it crashes I would hope there to be an error spat out in the Terminal window that'd be very elucidating (alongside the version information).

There was a massive T-Bird update a few months ago; version 115 as I recall, and it is present in the Ubuntu LTS (and therefore Mint) repositories. I wonder if their authentication w/ Yahoo suffered a stability regression.

I'd start T-Bird from the command line in a Terminal (I'd presume the command to simply be "thunderbird"). Once it crashes I would hope there to be an error spat out in the Terminal window that'd be very elucidating (alongside the version information).
I have a feeling it is with yahoo, at least for today. I logged into yahoo mail and I'm having problems. I was just about to pull it from Thunderbird and decided to log into yahoo, something I rarely do. I'm going to give it a few hours and see what happens. Thanks!

I just use yahoo default settings for Thunderbird. I use it to email customers, save correspondences etc. I have a handful of customers I still work for and don't want to complicate things for myself or them. Worst case is I just log into yahoo mail and work from their site instead of Thunderbird. My other emails play nice with Thunderbird.
Domain name as in you are using @yahoo.com and not a @your_business_name.com

Domain name as in you are using @yahoo.com and not a @your_business_name.com
yahoo.com I've been using it for as far back as I can remember. This morning it appears to be working, with no changes made on my part.

Thunderbird has always kind of let me down to be honest. It's neither Qt nor GTK, so it sticks out like a sore thumb, both in terms of theme and layout. I could never use it before the latest updates because it didn't support the "outlook view" where subject and sender are on two lines, it's a much better use of space.

I also find it slow and unresponsive at times, fonts look weird despite changing them, and several other niggles like the lack of first class tagging.

The latest update has made it more usable with the introduction (finally) of outlook view, but the other issues remain.

I just use a really old version of opera (only the email part). It has similar issues with respect to theme and layout, but does support outlook view and I love how tags/labels work within it.

Linux has always lacked an exceptional email/calendar client for some reason. Evolution would be next choice after opera.

Linux has always lacked an exceptional email/calendar client for some reason. Evolution would be next choice after opera.

KMail on a KDE-based desktop is good. Evolution is outstanding, even for (simple) enterprise environments. Also in the Gnome/GTK world Geary is GUI-native and is under fairly active development and is stable and good; but like a lot of Gnome stuff is overly simple and lacking in some advanced features. My desktops are Gnome on either Debian or Ubuntu and they all use Geary.

KMail on a KDE-based desktop is good. Evolution is outstanding, even for (simple) enterprise environments. Also in the Gnome/GTK world Geary is GUI-native and is under fairly active development and is stable and good; but like a lot of Gnome stuff is overly simple and lacking in some advanced features. My desktops are Gnome on either Debian or Ubuntu and they all use Geary.

None of these support tagging all that well, last time I tried geary it didn't even handle multiple email accounts. Kmail is buggy in my experience and had issues with html, even in terms of "design" (i.e the devs didn't want to support it because they feel html to be a security issue and really wanted everyone to use text).

None of these support tagging all that well, last time I tried geary it didn't even handle multiple email accounts. Kmail is buggy in my experience and had issues with html, even in terms of "design" (i.e the devs didn't want to support it because they feel html to be a security issue and really wanted everyone to use text).
I have 20+ accounts set up in Geary; all through Gnome's Online Accounts.
I've had some gnarly and entirely disappointing experiences with Geary in the past. It's comparatively new and it showed. But in both Debian 12 and Ubuntu 23.10 it's been working just fine.

I have 20+ accounts set up in Geary; all through Gnome's Online Accounts.
I've had some gnarly and entirely disappointing experiences with Geary in the past. It's comparatively new and it showed. But in both Debian 12 and Ubuntu 23.10 it's been working just fine.

Can you tag emails and then view emails only by that tag easily enough? In opera, all my tags show up in a section under the folders as a "virtual folder", click the tag/folder then filters only those emails that are tagged appropriately.

Last I checked geary had no idea what tags were, no ability to automatically tag incoming emails based on rules I write etc etc.

Can you tag emails and then view emails only by that tag easily enough? In opera, all my tags show up in a section under the folders as a "virtual folder", click the tag/folder then filters only those emails that are tagged appropriately.

Last I checked geary had no idea what tags were, no ability to automatically tag incoming emails based on rules I write etc etc.
I just checked: If I click the "Tag" icon then a list of Gmail labels appears; so it seems as though the labels/tags sync from Gmail, and likely Outlook. It bears repeating that my accounts in Geary automagically appear after an account is set up in Gnome's Online Accounts; so it seems that more than just the emails sync: filtering and sorting syncs as well.

Back