Log Splitter

I'm looking at 2 splitters, the tractor supply Country line, and a Champion.

The frame on the County line looks stout compared to the Champion. It weighs 50lbs more.

Anyone have one of these?

1616871874804.jpg

Last edited:
I believe the County Line is the equivalent of my “Country Tough” from Orscheln Farms. 25 ton. Made by SpeeCo. Mine has a Honda engine while most have Kohler. I’ve only really used it 1 season. 3-4 cords or so. Bought it Black Friday 2019. Handles 12-15” diameter red elm decently.

Aside from the serial number of mine not existing in their system, I haven’t had any issues.

The manual does recommend Dexlll rather than the suggested ISO 46 for cold weather use. They aren’t lying. It was so thick I couldn’t get the engine to start.

I believe the County Line is the equivalent of my “Country Tough” from Orscheln Farms. 25 ton. Made by SpeeCo. Mine has a Honda engine while most have Kohler. I’ve only really used it 1 season. 3-4 cords or so. Bought it Black Friday 2019. Handles 12-15” diameter red elm decently.

Aside from the serial number of mine not existing in their system, I haven’t had any issues.

The manual does recommend Dexlll rather than the suggested ISO 46 for cold weather use. They aren’t lying. It was so thick I couldn’t get the engine to start.
Thanks i think i'm going with the county line one. It looks like a better frame, and the pump is 14gallons a minute( holds a 1/2gallon more also) vs 11gpm for the champion.

those are both good units.
for me since I could get 18% back on home depot and 24% on TSC I'd probably go with the first one too.

of course the second one has that nice piece that holds the split logs from falling.

= I would be happy with either.. so then you go price. one is 100$ cheaper?

The County Line splitters/brand is usually a step above anything Champion, which is usually a Chinese engine, and slightly worse construction. My local TSC also has way better customer service than both of the local Home Depots, so that might be something to consider as well.

The County Line splitters/brand is usually a step above anything Champion, which is usually a Chinese engine, and slightly worse construction. My local TSC also has way better customer service than both of the local Home Depots, so that might be something to consider as well.
Thanks, i went with the tractor supply one. I have to get some hydraulic fluid. I saw fluid in the lower clear hose, and thought it came filled. Checked it before starting and there was only maybe 1/2 gallon in it. I guess they added a little to check for a leak.

This was a review of that splitter.

bought this splitter and was told it was a customer return due to water being in the carb. After receiving a hefty discount i purchased it and brought it home. When i opened the gas tank there wasn't much signs of water. I opened the carb and there was rust and water everywhere. After cleaning it all out, it started right up. Kohler has a design flaw with the nut the holds the air filter on. If this is left outside, rain will travel down the nut, straight into the carb intake. TSC leaves their equipment outside, so when you purchase this, there will mostly be water in the carb. Not their fault really, but design flaw by Kohler. Keep this covered and you'll never have a problem with it!

those are both good units.
for me since I could get 18% back on home depot and 24% on TSC I'd probably go with the first one too.

of course the second one has that nice piece that holds the split logs from falling.

= I would be happy with either.. so then you go price. one is 100$ cheaper?
The log catchers can be added later. eBay sells them. I’ve thought about adding them for the bigger rounds.

I’m too stupid to run the splitter upright.

I would have chosen the County Line with the better specs too. In my area it’s also $200 less than the Champion, and you can pick up a side catcher/cradle for around $50. Still plenty left over for oil/fuel whatever else you need.

L8R,
Matt

BTW, how hot should the ram get? Its pretty hot after splitting about 5 of those large logs.
How hot is it, like hot to the touch? If you peer into the hydraulic fill port do you see a lot of air bubbles in the fluid? Any odd whining or grinding sounds? It's likely normal, they do get "warm" with heavy use.

Most log splitters come with very marginal capacity hydraulic tanks - meaning fluid can get too hot fairly easily. I have a contact temp gauge on my cylinder and don't let it get over 160°F.

Depends on ambient temperature, but on a decently warm day, it’ll be hot to the touch relatively fast while winter time not so much and will just be extra warm. I’ve never ran mine for anything over an hour though.

I believe the system holds 5 gallons. Do you have it topped off? If you do, make certain to always run it on level ground as it’ll run out the vent hole. It’ll run out of the vent hole just pulling it through the woods. Lol *Also if you have it topped off, make sure the vent is pointed away from the exhaust. Says this in the manual too.

Back