Rotella HD Tractor Fluid--OK for Log Splitter?

Is the Shell Rotella HD tractor fluid suitable for a MTD 27 ton log splitter requiring an 10 weight anti wear hydraulic oil. I called both shell and MTD but got someone that could only read a script from the back of the package or out of the manual. The HD tractor fluid is of 10W-30 weight but everyone I talked to now has me second guessing if this product is ok to use in my log splitter. The following is from the container: Shell ROTELLA® HD Tractor Fluid Premium transmission-hydraulic-wet brake fluids for tractors Shell ROTELLA® HD Tractor Fluid is a premium quality fluid for use in transmissions, hydraulic systems, oil immersed brakes and other ancillary systems fitted to agricultural tractors and off-road equipment. It is an exceptional universal tractor fluid specially formulated for use where a common fluid reservoir serves transmissions, final drives and hydraulic systems. Performance Features and Benefits • Incorporates a friction modifier for proper noise-free operation of wet-brakes • Excellent low temperature fluidity provides good response at low temperatures • Shell ROTELLA® HD Tractor Fluid provides excellent service in virtually all makes of construction and farm tractors • Is frequently used as a single fluid to prevent accidental contamination or misapplication and to eliminate the need to purchase and keep in inventory several products for most farm and construction equipment Main Applications • Tractors and other equipment using a common fluid to lubricate the transmission, differential and hydraulic systems

Hyd log splitters are the "Lowest stress" form of hydraulic powered equipment anywhere. Almost ANY oil that *resembles* hydraulic fluid will work fine in a log splitter. I run used ATF in mine... been doing it for 26 years.

Originally Posted By: pburchett
Performance Features and Benefits • Incorporates a friction modifier for proper noise-free operation of wet-brakes
This is expensive stuff, if it has this feature. WAAAAAAAY overkill for what a log splitter needs.

For your specific splitter: ISO 32 or SAE 10W are equivalent; around 30 cSt at 40°C, and 5 cSt at 100°C. Rotella HD Tractor is double that; 65 cSt at 40°C, and 10 cSt at 100°C. In other words, the Rotella is too thick.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
For your specific splitter: ISO 32 or SAE 10W are equivalent; around 30 cSt at 40°C, and 5 cSt at 100°C. Rotella HD Tractor is double that; 65 cSt at 40°C, and 10 cSt at 100°C. In other words, the Rotella is too thick.
That's what I use in my splitter, AW32 in cold weather, AW46 in hot weather, seems to work just fine. Cheaper than the Rotella, too.

pburchett

I did not know the Rotella was so thick. I stopped at Tractor Supply and they had the Rotella for $50 and the description sounded good, but I thought I would ask here first. Tractor Supply also had Traveller AW32 for $30, but I was worried about the quality. I looked at the local parts store and all they had was their store brands which equated to a rebranded Costal or Peak/Shield/Old World Industries AW32 for $45. I guess I will go with the Traveller brand and change it out sooner than I have previously done.