Local car chase - Honda Accord V6 @ 140MPH

Honda Accord V6 - clocked @ 140 MPH.

So this popped up in my local news feed. 140 MPH I can see with some high performance cars but when I saw the wrecked 6th generation Accord V6 (1998-2002 model) I'm like no way - pretty certain that Accord V6 could probably hit those speeds but it was probably electronically limited to H rated speeds (130 MPH). I don't follow the Accord to closely so not sure if they made chips back in the day that could raise the electronic limiter but I guess that could be the case.

I'm sure there will be other charges for the driver but seems to be problematic that its easily shown this Accord could not reach the speeds they are indicating and hence the radar unreliable.

My grandfather has a 2003 accord v6 it's one strong running car. Dont know about 140mph but passing and merging onto free way the car pulls to 100 with ease. I can see it capable of those speeds but would think they're governed.

So this popped up in my local news feed. 140 MPH I can see with some high performance cars but when I saw the wrecked 6th generation Accord V6 (1998-2002 model) I'm like no way - pretty certain that Accord V6 could probably hit those speeds but it was probably electronically limited to H rated speeds (130 MPH). I don't follow the Accord to closely so not sure if they made chips back in the day that could raise the electronic limiter but I guess that could be the case.

I'm sure there will be other charges for the driver but seems to be problematic that its easily shown this Accord could not reach the speeds they are indicating and hence the radar unreliable.
Where was the mention of radar being used? I didn't catch that in the article.

I had an 1996 Buick Lesabre I took up to over 115 mph before..
one time I was young(er) and dumb(er) and we were moving along at 90 on the I-80 very flat section miles of visibility.
pack of 15cars or so.

got passed like I was in reverse by a corvette and some motorcycles.. I'd guess 165+

Decided to see where the limiter was since they were in front.. was 118.

Where was the mention of radar being used? I didn't catch that in the article.
"The driver was clocked in at 140 mph, speeding past the deputy in a green Honda Accord, according to authorities."

Not sure how else they would determine it was 140 MPH outside radar or laser - although it is rural Georgia so it very well may have gone like 'well I reckon he was going 140 MPH'.

Opps- wrong forum

Last edited:
I thought police dont pursue high speed pursuits.
Varies by jurisdiction. Our county guys will chase you until the wheels fall off if they have a felony charge on you or if you're wanted for some reason. For minor stuff they'll still give it a good go, although we don't chase into a few of the neighboring counties as their DA's are known to charge police with all kinds of charges if anything happens.

But, in the end, varies wildly by jurisdiction and circumstances.

My '02 Accord V6 sedan has always been stock and would only ever go to ~ 130mph. Flat road, little to no wind, sunny day, dry roads
I've had my 03 to 130 a couple of times. Takes it a minute to get there, but up to just over 100 it gets to just fine. It's that last little bit.

I had a 1991 Accord coupe 4 cylinder and I know for a fact that it would go 115 MPH, not that I would ever admit to doing it.

Back