Loathing specific manufacturer for no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
Yeah, I tend to dislike domestic for reasons which have, by and large, gone away. I recognize it and don't try to hide it.

Can't feel too bad about that, it was an earned reputation! But I agree most domestics are back on track and making much better vehicles.

I have always bought what I wanted based on excitement/desire/performance. Very few lemons in my past, a Mazda RX-2 comes to mind. Later I got an RX-4 and loved every minute in it.

Regardless of folks emotions EVERY SINGLE MFGR MAKES A LEMON. What shows their customer service is what they do about it...

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Loathing a faceless corporation and the products it makes sound like a waste of time, energy and more importantly health. Hate or holding very negative feelings towards something or someone is a source of stress, and stress is proven to have a negative impact on one's health.

Health, stress? After a PhD everything else is a cakewalk. There is nothing more unhealthy than that process. Everything else is rainbows.

I strongly discourage BP products but even that elicits minimal effort because it is just not worth it.

Hatred is what I call an irrational emotion and that is about as close as I can describe VW. It is not a fixed, constant anger. There is not a definate reason. It is not like a bad product or action (although diesel is justified now). It is not tangible nor is it something I can point to with any clarity. You could say "the little thing" but still...

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
All things Apple but specifically the iPhone...

Ok, I am with you on that one. I dislike Apple products because but I have owned Apple junk.

the old Ford and Crysler: even if i had a 95 mercury mystique which survive being run without oil, new drivers and even if i had a 97 crysler concorde which had the wife survive a soccer mom crash

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Regardless of folks emotions EVERY SINGLE MFGR MAKES A LEMON. What shows their customer service is what they do about it...

[off topic]isn't it nice on BITOG when people like stevesrt8, astro14, 440magnum, futuredoc and many others and even dblshock give opinion of years of owning certain brands and models in the "been there, got the t-shirt" for us less traveling newbies....

FutureDoc, nice thread.... and for now folks kept it civil = spirit of BITOG
[/off topic]

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I have a very negative gut reaction to Toyota. Pretty much think "yuck!" every time I see one. Objectively I know that they're a good, big, automaker very comparable to GM. The reasons are twofold. First- the way a cult following built up that thinks they're better than anything else just really rubs me the wrong way. Toyota quality is average or slightly above, and on top of that it varies model-to-model and year-to-year like everyone else. The second: with almost zero exceptions (the original Land Cruiser, the Supra for a span of about 3 years) they build the absolute most milquetoast vehicles on the planet. Nothing the least bit original or wild about them. Can you possibly think of anything more generic or appliance-like than a Camry or Corolla?

This is close. It is a negative gut reaction. On a statistical level, they are reliable but it is a fallacy that (I agree) people was to generalize from the population cars onto the individual car.

However, the Land Cruiser and Supra were unoriginal. Both were "copies" in my book. "Improved copies" in some cases but I digress. Toyota has, on occasion done something new but 1/2 the time is a new boring. Prius. Rav4. In the end, I consider them the "editor" of the automotive world.

I really dislike the voice inflection of the guy in the newer Mazda commercials. Don't hate Mazda or any other brand though.

I like Toyota being boring. Just like my mattress, fridge, sink, oven, toaster, microwave, mower, list goes on and on. Items that I turn on, use for their purpose, put away when done. When they break I replace. They won't outlast me (I hope!) and thus I have no attachment. To me, it's just an object. With wheels. That wears out and breaks down. When I buy something that "excites me" I get stressed when it isn't perfect--that's why I ditched my VW.

I guess after driving 25-30kmiles per year for the last 16 years I've taken a turn for the worse. Vehicle purchasing is 90% emotional, as I've heard it said.

I'll never own another Nissan, nor will I ever speak positively about their cars. It was a bad enough experience that I've been carrying a grudge since 2003. 2002 Altima 3.5 spent 22 days on a lift with manual transmission problems...after 2 sets of struts replaced in 17,000 miles....after begging the dealership to research & perform a TSB for the ECU pulling power at the most inopportune times, and KEEPING it pulled for the rest of the drive. Bad cars, and worse dealerships.

I think Toyota is a bit silly for trying to market the Camry as a sports sedan. A V6 Camry may be entertaining in a drag race, but don't even try to pretend it's capable of anything more. I drove one at an Ecoboost event. Tire squeal and front end plow were standard equipment. I don't hate them, but I think they're akin to toasters.

Originally Posted By: spavel6
Well I hope you don't come by my driveway, cause I have a full house of VWs!

I will be fine
smile.gif
But maybe, just maybe, You will notice in the corner of the driveway a slow a building rage. Then again, I tend to respect "older" and "frequently used cars"... not the model or the family of vehicles but the actual pieces of metal that are still around and used.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
I like Toyota being boring. Just like my mattress, fridge, sink, oven, toaster, microwave, mower, list goes on and on. Items that I turn on, use for their purpose, put away when done. When they break I replace. They won't outlast me (I hope!) and thus I have no attachment. To me, it's just an object. With wheels. That wears out and breaks down. When I buy something that "excites me" I get stressed when it isn't perfect--that's why I ditched my VW.

I guess after driving 25-30kmiles per year for the last 16 years I've taken a turn for the worse. Vehicle purchasing is 90% emotional, as I've heard it said.

See, this is what I "get" with most car companies. There is some angle, method or philosophy. Toyota builds (generally) low-maintenance, no excitement (good or bad) vehicles. That is fine for a user group. Chrysler makes vehicles to be exciting (good and bad) that get noticed. Everyone has an angle but VW to me. Maybe it is Ford's doing by being "cheap euro".

Now, Toyota does have its "freaky" side after all the engineers are allowed to do something that re-hash the 2000 Corolla one more time. They go nuts. Put the engine in the wrong place, forget to add a trunk, stagger the skinny tires. Give it a tranny that is at 4000rpm on the highway... because that is where the torque is... and because they only work on the corolla, they give it a 1ZZ. Yay.

Just picked up a rental - Nissan Altima. Never liked Nissan styles for last 10 years - (except 1 fast sports car)
this car is peppy (3.5) but wind and road noise should be less. It has leather, sunroof, and nav - so hardly entry level.
Think it is the model just replaced - like them better ...

As for not liking a company over the actions of an individual or board members ? I'm not there - in too many cases a huge portion of the company are hard working and smart working - someone else made the wrong choice.

There are only 2 brands I have this irrational loathing of. Don't know why.never owned either one.
1) Honda
I know they make fine cars, and motorcycles, and lawn mowers, etc, and a lot of factories in my area make parts for Honda. But... No sir, I don't like them.
2) Apple
I never have, nor will own an iDevice.

Dislike lots of things. Do not really hate anything, although the woman on the progressive insurance tv commercials might get me there.

There are some makes I avoid simply based upon what I know of their reliability and durability over time.
I can't say that I have any irrational hatred of any particular make and I've owned quite a few, including a VW. If my only BMW had been our old 733i, I might swear never again, but out 318i has been a model of reliability. I'm also looking at a very clean 325is which I may well buy. The e36 is known to be a very reliable and durable generation of BMW.
We've always had good experience with Hondas, so that's what we usually buy new, although we've also purchased a new Ford, which was great, and a new Subaru, which lacks the reliability and durability of the Hondas we've had, but its problems have been pretty minor.
No reason to hate any maker's products. Some are just better at delivering reliable transportation than are others, and we all own cars primarily as transportation and only secondarily as entertaining toys.

I don't like European cars. Below average quality and most people who drive them are status seekers. "Look at me, I drive a BMW and I pay $150 for oil changes."

Don't care for GM (Government Motors) either. Never owned one, never will.

Last edited:
Actually, Euro cars have far better quality in their interior materials and their components than do most Japanese or American models.
Look at me, I drive a BMW convertible and my last oil change cost me nine bucks using a Mahle filter.
I'd also bet that my cost per mile of owning and driving this machine has been lower than what you've seen with either of your Japanese vehicles.
GM?
We've had four of them and while they were far from perfect cars they were quite trouble free over the time that we used them.
I like all kinds of cars and have owned a number over the past forty years.
Most of them from any country and of any vintage have been thankfully free of serious problems.
Cars are so good these days that my shade tree skills have atrophied.

I don't hate any automaker as a whole, I dislike my Toyota a lot, It's only the second that I've felt that way about out of 16 vehicles I've bought new. The other bad apple was a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 with a HPCR Cummins.

I would still like a unmolested straight 6 IS300 one day, Or a LX platform V8 Chrysler 300, I have reasons to hate both these manufacturers, But I know [censored] happens & anyone can get a bad apple.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Actually, Euro cars have far better quality in their interior materials and their components than do most Japanese or American models.
Look at me, I drive a BMW convertible and my last oil change cost me nine bucks using a Mahle filter.
I'd also bet that my cost per mile of owning and driving this machine has been lower than what you've seen with either of your Japanese vehicles.
GM?
We've had four of them and while they were far from perfect cars they were quite trouble free over the time that we used them.
I like all kinds of cars and have owned a number over the past forty years.
Most of them from any country and of any vintage have been thankfully free of serious problems.
Cars are so good these days that my shade tree skills have atrophied.

I seriously doubt your cost of ownership is less than my Camry. And Japanese cars continue to dominate reliability ratings, particularly Lexus/Toyota.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back