Load of [censored], or Truth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an email I sent to Valvoline and the response I got. What do you guys think?
Quote:
This is the real story behind the myths. With ever increasing limits on emissions, automobile manufacturers have tightened emission control systems on newer vehicles. This is one of several factors considered when the American Petroleum Institute (API) sets standards for engine oil. The current API standard is SM which replaced the previous SL classification. Because phosphorus can poison a vehicles emission system, the level of zinc is lower for current engine oil. Because of this, many hands-on car enthusiasts and engine experts believe the lower levels of zinc in SM engine oil is causing excessive wear in older style push-rod and flat tappet engines. This is despite the fact that all new engine oil classifications are intended to be backward compatible, which in turn has resulted in the widely accepted belief that modern engine oil is not adequate to protect older engines.
Valvoline uses an advanced zinc/phosphorus additive that keeps higher levels of phosphorus in the engine oil where it protects the engine, instead of poisoning the catalytic converter. Valvoline is the only brand offering this unique additive across its entire line of passenger car engine oils, including SynPower which is the only synthetic offering this additive.
The only exclusion to this would be if you are operating a high performance or aggressive cam application, where high Zinc levels may be required. Because of these requirements, there are high-zinc engine oils available to meet this need, such as our Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil. The VR1 Racing Oil establishes a 75% higher zinc content than SM engine oil with a balanced additive package designed to work in both racing and street-legal applications. This product will protect older style push-rod and flat tappet engines and carries an oil change interval recommendation of 3 month/3,000 miles.
It is important to note, however, that the entire additive package still needs to be balanced for best performance. For example, engine oil with a high zinc level but low detergent may not perform over a drain interval of 3,000 miles or longer.
>>>> ----------------------------
>>>> From:
>>>> Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2010 4:29:11 AM
>>>> To: [email protected]
>>>> CC:
>>>> Subject: Valvoline.com New User Registration
>>>>
>>>> First Name: Dylan
>>>> Last Name: Maxwell
>>>> Address:
>>>> City:
>>>> State: 0
>>>> Zip:
>>>> Email:
>>>> feedback type: Which oil should I use for my vehicle?
>>>>
>>>> Comments:
>>>>
>>>> Im wondering what Oil you recommend for Flat Tappet cams (89 Cherokee,
>>>> 4.0l).
>>>> I am using Maxlife 10w40 right now, but I am worried that the amount
>>>> of zinc may be too low. Do you recommend any oils other than your
>>>> "VR1" that have the right amount of zinc for my engine? I am looking
>>>> for something I can find at the local Walmart that isnt too expensive.
>>>> If you dont have any appropriate oils I will switch it to Rotella,
>>>> which is said to have the proper amount of Zinc.

I might still go with Rotella next change..

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

Well the local machine shops see a lot of older V8's (pre smogger) come in with camshaft issues from the new oil. While your low performance push rod motors from the smogger era of the mid 70's to 80's, the pony and muscle cars need more zinc.

Running HDEO is cheaper than VR1 around here and works as good or better.

I think I've heard of the "unique additive" they mention. I'm skeptical of the claim that SynPower is the only synthetic offering it.

However, the rest of what they say seems to jive with what I've heard and read from the experts here and elsewhere. Just keep in mind what they don't say as well as what they do say. For example, they don't say SM is good enough for all older flat-tappet engines. They just say it's not guaranteed to be inadequate.
wink.gif

However, also keep in mind that SM is a stricter standard than all before it in many ways, including wear protection.

FYI, on the topic of Rotella: If it's T3, T5, or T6 you're looking at, they are all API SM as well.

I'd be skeptical of how much "protection" you need on some of these low-power older V8 engines... the springs are light on most of them and they just aren't making high enough specific output to really be ruining oil...

Originally Posted By: cchase
I'd be skeptical of how much "protection" you need on some of these low-power older V8 engines... the springs are light on most of them and they just aren't making high enough specific output to really be ruining oil...

Indeed.

One thing I'd add: If they're carbureted, they may not be burning as cleanly as modern engines at all times, so there may be contamination and/or fuel dilution.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
I actually think the response is pretty good.

+1

A bit more than needed, but not bad....

Remember that Valvoline can not suggest a OCI for every vehicle out there. They don't know its current state of repair, how it is driven, where it is driven so they take on the WORST case OCI.

IE the 3000 mile or 3 months. That is safe and not going to get them in any trouble with 99% of the vehicles out there.

I personally wish other oil companies would stop just issuing the blanket xx miles or year when in certain situations they are not doing the consumer ANY GOOD.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Remember that Valvoline can not suggest a OCI for every vehicle out there. They don't know its current state of repair, how it is driven, where it is driven so they take on the WORST case OCI.

IE the 3000 mile or 3 months. That is safe and not going to get them in any trouble with 99% of the vehicles out there.

Good call.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I personally wish other oil companies would stop just issuing the blanket xx miles or year when in certain situations they are not doing the consumer ANY GOOD.

Bill

Also a good call. But as always, what people want to hear is different from what will do them any good...

Good answer IMHO, clearly states hi zinc and low detergent. What's the point of high detergent if you change the oil after every race. And 24 H race will hardly take more than 3000 miles

wow B.....S... is censored?

Yes, I realize Rotella is SM rated, but doesnt it still have alot of Zinc?

Seems like the Valvoline would be fine, but I was planning on switching anyway. My motor isnt very healthy and I figured a HDEO would be better for it. If I dont like it I can always switch back.

Also; this is a I6, not a V8. Fuel injected, but has a bad oxygen sensor and a Poor owner...

It is a good answer though. Im gonna see what some other manufacturers have to say and I will post them here.

Plans for next change are: Rotella T5 10w40, Wix/napa/purolator filter (whatever I can find), and a quart of MMO.

Originally Posted By: Defiance665
Yes, I realize Rotella is SM rated, but doesnt it still have alot of Zinc?

It has the same upper limit on phosphorus as all SM oils. There's only so much ZDDP it can have.

Originally Posted By: cchase

Light is relative. Pushrod engines usually use a smaller base circle and a narrower cam lobe so regardless of spring pressure, there's more psi on the lifter and cam. They have to use a heavier spring than OHC engines operated in teh same rpm range due to the additinal weight of the valvetrain. So light for a low rpm pushrod engine is likely still heavier than the spring used in a 7,000rpm OHC engine.

I agree with you that specific output has gone up significantly in modern cars on average but it has nothing to do with valvetrain requirements.

I don't even bother posting details anymore because I'm tired of writing the same thing over and over but the GN community saw lots of problems using newer oils moreso with aftermarket cams and springs but also with stock stuff too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back