LL-01 FE 0W-30

Nearly everyone with F8x S55 engines on the forums use full SAPS like PP Euro 5W-40 (and did from factory, TPT 0W-40 was initial fill and maintenance oil) and definitely have less carbon buildup issues than N54 and somehow even N55 engines in the limited teardowns I have seen. I have seen no real evidence that anything but PCV system design is important here. Early VW DI engines and BMW N54 will have horrible buildup no matter what. I don't think you can get away from the fact that there is no port injection anyway and they will all require blasting at some point. BTW, the LL01FE has only recently looked mid-SAPS, the SN versions were classic full SAPS levels of detergents and ZDDP. The SP change was in 2022 so there have been many years of DI BMWs filled with full SAPS oils here.

I would be hesitant to use full-SAPS oil like that Castrol in that hot running DI engine unless you are fine with the valve media blasting once in 60K-100K
I did not see much of the proof of using full-SAPS oil in recent BMW engines and have clean valves after 100K

I would appreciate if anybody can share a few cases with valve pics

PS: If it would be my choice I go with LL04, same HTHS

N54 is affected. After that there is no evidence that CBU affects BMW engine performance. They did PCV right, unlike many others.

Thred BRUMP. Time for a mid cycle OCI. I don't care if I'm using FE or not.

- Loads of 0W40 Castrol on deck
- Order TPT 0W30 or Motul Specific

Option 2 is about $120 a OCI.....
Option 1- I did pay for the jugs back then, but it's basically unused *free oil* the way I look at it
My B58 engined car has been mainly Dealer serviced, which means 0w30 oil going by the information I have.

I am currently running 5w40 LL04 for around a month to see if it makes any difference then I am going to run 0w20 for a month

I do around 3/4000 miles a month, with nearly identical usage day in and day out.

I was curious to see if there was any change in fuel economy, performance and engine noise

Before I put in 5w40 I had done a few longer journeys, thanks to speed cameras everywhere, some average cameras, I adhere to speed limits religiously

I have added Ceratec after each oil change.

Just over 3000miles on 0w30 28.3mpg

Current 5w40 2600 miles 30.8 mpg

Should have the results of the 0w20 around towards the of May.

Back