Living beyond your means

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry.
Be happy.
Spend it all now.

Unfunded liabilities of the US Government is $121 trillion.
Total privately held assets by citizens and businesses is $112 trillion.
The country is effectively bankrupt.
When the government can no longer hide that fact, they're going to come after everyone's savings. They'll give you a worthless IOU promising to take care of you for the rest of your life. You'll end up in a government housing project eating generic dog food, then when you get sick, they'll give you a hearing in front of one of their death panels and determine that your life is not worth sustaining.

There's plenty of hard living in store for us in the future.

Last edited:
+1000. You get it. Most people just want to eat their big mac, watch
Mindless TV and stick their head in the sand.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Don't worry.
Be happy.
Spend it all now.

Unfunded liabilities of the US Government is $121 trillion.
Total privately held assets by citizens and businesses is $112 trillion.
The country is effectively bankrupt.
When the government can no longer hide that fact, they're going to come after everyone's savings. They'll give you a worthless IOU promising to take care of you for the rest of your life. You'll end up in a government housing project eating generic dog food, then when you get sick, they'll give you a hearing in front of one of their death panels and determine that your life is not worth sustaining.

There's plenty of hard living in store for us in the future.

Originally Posted By: Clubber_Lang
You can finance a car. You can do alot of things. But financing
a car is one of the dumbest things you can do. Name other
things that are tangible that you can finance that will depreciate
faster.

My house lost 25% of it's value during the recession. Couldn't say when, but, in the course of a year I'd say it was that. Hasn't returned either. IMO everything depreciates. Sometimes you get lucky; but you're probably foolish to bank upon that.

My prediction? This thread won't end well. Yet like moths to a flame we all will be attracted.

Last edited:

Why all the anger and hostility?

I think that many people have it backwards. I was always taught to spend what you have left after you save. Today it seems that a lot of people prefer to save what they have left after they spend.

There are some advantages to having some managed debt. Few people would be able to buy a home without debt. However, I refuse to be a slave to payments each month on things like cars, credit cards, etc. And we don't get suckered into things like expensive monthly TV bills, and it's extremely rare that we eat out.

A long time ago we decided to be very self disciplined with our finances-we drove "beaters" that we could pay for with cash, and then we took what otherwise would have been car payments and invested it in savings and investments. We've continued that even up to today-we still put away a few hundred per month in our vehicle fund. Should we need to replace a vehicle we have the cash to do so. Should a vehicle need any sort of repair we have the cash to make those repairs. And since our vehicle fund far exceeds the amount we spend on vehicles, once a year we roll the excess from the vehicle fund into a higher, longer term, less liquid investment.

We've done the same for other expenses. While a case can be made for some managed debt, I far prefer not to be a slave to sending a monthly payment to anyone. And all it takes is a little self discipline.

Originally Posted By: Doog
My former neighbor is one of those guys....zero debt, modest home, always used cars....age 52 just got diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. Doc says he has until Thanksgiving...maybe.

21.gif

My other buddy lives on his MasterCard, big home, always a new Lexus for the wife, smokes, drinks, has boats and 2 vacations every year. zero money in savings....he will live to be 90.

21.gif

Who's right???

You're cherry picking two data points. So if that's your criteria, I'll also cherry pick an example.

I know a guy who is now 70 and his wife is 60-something. They scrimped and saved the first 25 years or so of their marriage and acquired significant wealth. They drove older, paid for vehicles, didn't go into debt except for a home, and paid off the home in very short order.

They both continue to be active and their wealth, even at their age, continues to grow. Both could stop working right now and live quite well on the interest from their investments, but they continue to work and be active because they enjoy it. In short they are having a blast, and even though they still tend to be thrifty, money isn't an issue for them. They can travel when and where they want, help others financially if they want, and do lots of volunteer work.

If we they would have been like your "other buddy" we they would probably be living on a very limited income. However, because they choose to live like your first example we they are doing exactly what they want, still watching our their money grow, and truly enjoying their golden years.

Originally Posted By: supton

Why all the anger and hostility?

Stating facts. No anger or hostility. Its the way it is.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I personally never buy cars with cash. I make far more off that money invested than I save in interest.

True, but you are still buying a depreciating asset,

So what? Buying it with cash does not make the car depreciate any less.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I personally never buy cars with cash. I make far more off that money invested than I save in interest.

Older cars depreciate slower and much less than newer ones.

Older cars depreciate slower and much less than newer ones.

OK, but that is true regardless of what you use to buy it with (cash or credit).

I dont want any hurt feelings or complaints of rudeness, so ill be gentle.

Bad luck can happen. But why not be prepared to deal with it? My house lost tons of money also. But if you are saying that a new or newer car doesnt always depreciate, you are wrong. Its value sinks like a stone

Originally Posted By: supton
You can finance a car. You can do alot of things. But financing
a car is one of the dumbest things you can do. Name other
things that are tangible that you can finance that will depreciate
faster.

My house lost 25% of it's value during the recession. Couldn't say when, but, in the course of a year I'd say it was that. Hasn't returned either. IMO everything depreciates. Sometimes you get lucky; but you're probably foolish to bank upon that.

My prediction? This thread won't end well. Yet like moths to a flame we all will be attracted.

So to remedy that you would compound depreciation with debt?

No, but you have to look at the cost of money as previous poster mentioned. New car loans can be had for under 1% APR. If you can invest that money at significantly above 1%, then it doesn't make sense to tie that money up in a depreciating asset, as you said.

I dont want any hurt feelings or complaints of rudeness, so ill be gentle.

Bad luck can happen. But why not be prepared to deal with it? My house lost tons of money also. But if you are saying that a new or newer car doesnt always depreciate, you are wrong. Its value sinks like a stone

Uh, no, I didn't say anything about cars not depreciating, why would I? My point is, everything can depreciate, if not everything WILL depreciate. During the Great Recession I adjusted by eating out less. Despite a pay cut I was fine. Even with a fair amount of debt. No way around it, can't buy a house worth living in, unless if you somehow amassed huge amounts of cash while renting.

Crud. You're just trolling. I fell for it, line hook and sinker. You win. Feel better?

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Put your $$ in physical precious metals. Then nobody can touch the buying power
If you become a long term care propect as a senior.

I disagree with d ramsey on metals.

Precious metals ARE THE WORST long term investment historically.

http://www.joshuakennon.com/stocks-vs-bonds-vs-gold-returns-for-the-past-200-years/

Historically yes. The nation is 17+ trillion in debt. Gov borrows 40 cents of every dollar it spends.
This will lead to Massive inflation. Its comming. Read The Real Crash, by Peter Schiff

Your investment strategy is to listen to PETER SCHIFF? How has that worked in the last 5 years?

So the crash hasn't happened yet but you're certain it will because a gold and silver dealer who markets himself zealously to gather more business, who happens to have a hideous track record and his assets under management dramatically under perform the SP500, said it will?

Good lord. Amazing. Some of you guys need to stop listening to for profit doom predictor charlatans and learn some real economics.

First of all im no troll. I simply objectively evaluate reality.

Sometimes reality smells more like a [censored] than a fresh meadow.

The poster who decribed our country's projectef future was spot on, if
you will objectively look at us gov spending and debt

The bottom will fall out. Maybe there are 10+ years until that happens. I do
not exclusively invest per Peter Schiff. He is right, but a man ahead of his time.

No, but you have to look at the cost of money as previous poster mentioned. New car loans can be had for under 1% APR. If you can invest that money at significantly above 1%, then it doesn't make sense to tie that money up in a depreciating asset, as you said.

That is true, but you cant count your chickens before they hatch too much.
Inflation forces some investments, but you must have strategic reserves
and not over extend your financial obligations.

but you must have strategic reserves

Yes. So the problem is not with taking out a car loan per se. The problem is with people who do not know how to take advantage of it properly and get themselves into trouble because they only plan on making a minimum payment and only make enough to make that payment and nothing else, and the moment they lose their job or some emergency happens, they default and have the car repossessed because they have $0 in their savings account to continue making the payments.

but you must have strategic reserves

Yes. So the problem is not with taking out a car loan per se. The problem is with people who do not know how to take advantage of it properly and get themselves into trouble because they only plan on making a minimum payment and only make enough to make that payment and nothing else, and the moment they lose their job, they default and have the car repossessed because they have $0 in their savings account to continue making the payments.

You could say that. My philosophy is to have as few obligations as
possible, because income is never a guarantee and i insist
on self suffiency. I do own things that i enjoy, but, to give an
example, say you love lightweight sports cars. Why spend
Or finance 25k on a Subaru BRZ, if say you can locate
A pristine excellent example of that 85 mazda rx7 gsl se
You always wanted when you were younger, with 50,000
miles for $6500 (just an example) in my opinion that
is finding the sweet spot.

to give an
example, say you love lightweight sports cars. Why spend
Or finance 25k on a Subaru BRZ, if say you can locate
A pristine excellent example of that 85 mazda rx7 gsl se
You always wanted when you were younger, with 50,000
miles for $6500 (just an example) in my opinion that
is finding the sweet spot.

Because that '85 rx7 is a 30-year-old car and will require frequent work/fixing. Some people don't mind it. Others just want to drive, not tinker in their garage.

It at least saves you paying the additional interest in excess of the purchase price on a depreciating asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back