Ideal House Plan/Property Plan

Broken off from another thread...

If you had enough money to buy/build anything you wanted, WITHIN REASON, what would you build? Let's say a max budget of $10M USD in wherever you want to put it. So yes $10M in SF Bay Area might be far different than $10M in the middle of nowhere. So keep that in mind. Yes I currently live in California but I'd buy & build in another state where land would be cheaper.

Personally I spent a few minutes doodling up this. Not to scale by any means in terms of room sizing etc. I'm not expecting everyone to draw theirs out, you can if you want but of course just posting a little about your ideal home and property will be interesting enough.

The features I incorporated in my doodle are not necessarily completely realistic or even OK by zoning laws but that's beyond the point:
-My home, a small guest home for my mother or whoever, then a business/office for my company (IDK what the business would be, but that's beyond the point).
-Single story flat roof buildings.
-A huge wall around the whole thing. Solid walls on the sides and back and a metal fence thing on the front.
-For-profit EV charging outside my property walls to help pay back solar panels sooner and if the power is out in the area I could jack up the rates while running off my backup systems haha.

ARvYyFC.png

A tiny house with a 10 car garage. Gotta have a lift and parts cleaner. Right here is Los Gatos, of course.

It took me a second to realize you meant a parts cleaning machine not like... a can of brakeclean :ROFLMAO: I was gonna be like, did this guy really account for a $3 can of chemicals in the $10M budget?

50x100. The entire lower portion garage. All doors across the front. Doors half way across the back, the remainder solid walled for workshop area. An elevator to the home upstairs in addition to stairs. 4BR, 3.5 baths, hobby room, 25x25 kitchen with double stoves and sinks and whatever else my best half might desire.

I'd go nuts with that. As in, I'd drive myself nuts trying to figure out what I wanted exactly. It'd take a really long time to realize I could just spend $1M up front and then spend the rest over time to make it into what I really wanted. Analysis paralysis, my old friend.

Honestly I'm pretty happy with what I have. 2,000 sqft ranch with that much in the basement (not necessarily fully finished), 2 bay attached garage. Larger driveway with parking for 4 and a detached barn with parking for 4 or 5 vehicles. Since I'd have $9M left over I could afford to heat/cool even that.

I would buy property in rural Virginia or Tennessee. I would build in such a way that I could be self sufficient if necessary. I would want water flowing through the land and be reasonably sheltered from extreme wind. Enough of acreage that I wouldn't have people looking at me. A good well, pasture land and farm land with a nice stand of trees. The house would be of modest means with living on one floor with a garage and a seperate garage for projects and equipment. Solar panels and a wood boiler to supply in floor heating and hot water.

I'd fix up what I have. I am not into having the biggest, fanciest home in the neighborhood.

Having more material things does not give happiness. Rather than more and more garage space like some are suggesting, I’d spend the bulk of the budget on the location, the view, and the potential to allow me to see friends and family more.

Those things matter more.

This would be my inspiration. The biggest Quonset Hut, with 2/3 being livable space with open concept, and 1/3 is a garage with a couple lifts and enough space to store all vehicles, from 49cc scooters to a bigger Class A motorhome, all stored at once.
Or I guess with a 10M budget I could afford to have a second Quonset Hut as a shop, while the main one remains fully residential. Plus a couple "BOXABL" tiny guest houses at $50k/each.

$10 million? I’m buying a huge chunk of land, 75-100 acres covered with trees somewhere in the Appalachian mountains in Tennessee/the Carolina’s/Georgia, and building a nice but not over the top house on it.

Probably a cabin style, but very nicely insulated, top of the line HVAC (I.e the ducts are actually sized properly etc), a nice wood burning stove, tucked away so I don’t have to see people if I don’t want too…

I forgot to include in my comments mine will have dual HVAC systems, one set for A/C 76 degrees and one set for heat 70 degrees. In the event one fails the other can take over until repairs are made. Also a Generac or similar large enough to power the entire home. Possibly dual systems as well.

OP, why the flat roof ? Are you planning on building where there is no rain or snow ?
One thing I would include is a medium sized room for a great home theater and another room, properly dimensioned, acoustically engineered and sound proofed for an outrageous stereo system for music only.
Oh, and a 100 yard long underground shooting range.

Back