List of Non-Interference cars and engines, gauges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 45ACP
Originally Posted By: rslifkin
I'll agree with factory OP gauges being pretty useless, other than to point out major issues. At hot idle, my actual pressure is in the low 20s, gauge reads 30. Revved up hot, or just off-idle on a cold start, it has about 60psi, but the gauge never goes over 45. I've seen other Jeeps with 4.0s where the gauges seem a bit more accurate (will move up to 55 - 60), but I've never checked one of those against a mech gauge.

Appreciated. But if you put in a thinner oil like a 5W-20 to see what it would do, would the gauge change?

Or would you never do that... kicking around ideas here.

my oil pressure gauge on my 05 ram 1500 is there just for looks. It is stays roughly in the same position (half) hot, cold, 5w-20, 10w-30, idle, 4500 RPM. might as well just have an idiot light... the voltage gauge moves more than the oil pressure gauge.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Don't count those manuals as gospel truth. They more than once list NI engines as I engines.
I would agree with that. My son has a 1999 Mazda Protege and for a long time we'd been searching the net to see if it had an interference engine because he's the kind who will put off any maintenance until the car is absolutely disabled. Today I found this Gates chart that says it's non-interference:

http://www.gates.com/common/downloads/files/Gates/TimingBeltReplacementGuide.pdf

But guess what? It says my 1992 Volvo 740 is interference! I've been following Brickboard.com, the ultimate Volvo resource, for years and everything there tells me it's NI. Where does Gates get this stuff?

^+1. The third generation Accords (1986-89) are listed as interference engines with a 60K mile TB change interval in the Gates guide. The engines are NI and the TB interval is actually around 90K miles.

Here is an interesting thing to remember. The Mercury Villager and Nissan Quest had a Nissan VG30E and it was non-interference. However, in anything else with a Nissan VG30E, it was an interference engine. Our family learned the hard way about interference engine and timing belts.

Many cars listed as interference or non in aftermarket manuals are wrong.
I'll throw one out there - 2.0 Zetec engines in Zx2s and Focii are NON interference, but are called interfence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back