List of cardboard construction oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cardboard (actually fiber) from the oil filter would need to get through the center tube,.....and through the center hole.....and out into the motor.
It would have been good to open that filter up and see what was happening in there.....without that.....one can only make speculation.
While I can understand the oil filter coming to mind.....I am trying to picture how much of the cardboard like material was being seen in the motor.....where in the motor......and how much cardboard like material there is inside that particular filter to start with.
Might some of it have looked like filter media?

If it was maintained as you indicate....maybe there was some sludge action.....maybe coolant in oil action......or clogged PCV?......and suddely something let loose....clogged up the filter and..............

We are left with more questions than answers without a filter disection.

In all fairness.....country of origin is less of a factor than the "no name filter"......if he did as you indicate....got the cheapest oil and oil filter, then went for an extended Oil Change Interval with it in a old, poorly maintained vehicle.

The filters on the 350 have no bypass I believe. It is more likely the filter element got clogged, and the poorly maintained engine's bypass also failed to open, than a badly constructed filter. I have see a chev 350 motor with pegged oil pressure as well due to stuck relief valve. A filter elemnt can only withstand so much.

The endcaps on Fram etc aren't cardboard, and the more they are called cardboard the more people will jump to conclusions and blame the cardboard for everything.
I am against Chinese imports, and don't buy the global economy excuse they want us to believe, but they aren't necessarily bad quality. There are other reasons to be upset about the Chinese worldwide takeover of manufacturing.

I would be careful about ebay oil filters, especially from Hong Kong sellers. I have seen pictures of name brand filters that have printing that doesn't quite match the real name brand. Those counterfeit filters are very likely to be very poor and could well fall apart, being designed only to deceive and make a quick buck.

Originally Posted By: Silver02ex
Maybe you can post one that you had that failed, since you had 10 of them that are scrap.

Not going to happen why? because they were friends and family filters that i have converted them away from and that have been looong tossed in the garbage where they belong!, i don't run these inferior constructed things you call a filter,i'll step up to a WIX,NG,P1 or even my $.95 AAP TG and have an absolute 100% chance of a media blow out never happening.

I don't care why my cousin's filter failed,I'm just looking for what filters i don't want used in my cars(cardboard end caps).
Could be the best filter in the world,I still wouldn't use it if i knew it had cardboard end caps.Just my preference.

Originally Posted By: QuOk
I don't care why my cousin's filter failed,I'm just looking for what filters i don't want used in my cars(cardboard end caps).
Could be the best filter in the world,I still wouldn't use it if i knew it had cardboard end caps.Just my preference.

Your a wise man my friend.....

Well I don't know of ANY chinese filters that have cardboard/fiber endcaps....which is what you say was on your cousin's truck.
Just Frams and Ecores, but it doesn't appear to have been one of those.
So to be safe, you better stay away from Chinese filters, Frams, and Ecores. But not Xtended Guard Frams...they are good.
Oh, and Champ makes Ecores, and sells them under Super Tech, AC Delco, and a couple other names I think....better stay away from those too :)

Any Fram is banned from my stash.

Of course not for any factual data. But that is your choice.

I like doing things on FACT. Not on a bias.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Any Fram is banned from my stash.

Of course not for any factual data. But that is your choice.

I like doing things on FACT. Not on a bias.

All the cool kids hate Fram, because it's Fram, I want to be like them and hate them too.

Excellent Fram quality indeed!

Last edited by a moderator:

Excellent Fram quality indeed!

When people can't continue with their story they bring in other items.

When you can bring us a filter that you have that has a issue, then I'll start to listen.

ALL filters have manufacturing issues. That is a FACT. I've posted flaws with Wix filters but you don't see me posting it in every Wix thread.

That is the difference between presenting factual info that you have experienced or being biased like others here.

What camp do you want to be part of? I know what one I belong to.

People know the story on FRAM thats why there slamed

you don't see utube vids picking apart EAO's,WIX,M1,P1 etc,etc so that tells ya something.

Bill the whole idea is to prevent having a problem by buying quality metal end cap filters.

Going by your logic i should find the cheapest lowest quality filter because unless i personally had a problem with it i should be fine.

"When you can bring us a filter that you have that has a issue, then I'll start to listen. "

I'm not asking for anyone to listen,Just looking for decent quality metal end cap filters.Instead i get a few people trying to push what i don't want.(cardboard in my filters)
Cardboard belongs in boxes,not engines.

Originally Posted By: daman
People know the story on FRAM thats why there slamed

you don't see utube vids picking apart EAO's,WIX,M1,P1 etc,etc so that tells ya something.

Yep, Youtube is where I go for factual unbiased infomation.

Bill the whole idea is to prevent having a problem by buying quality metal end cap filters.

Going by your logic i should find the cheapest lowest quality filter because unless i personally had a problem with it i should be fine.

PLENTY of excellent filters withOUT metal ends. And hate to tell you in the near future ALL filters will be without metal inside. Look at all the new engines with cartridge filters and they don't have metal ends. And E-core is the future.

"When you can bring us a filter that you have that has a issue, then I'll start to listen. "

I'm not asking for anyone to listen,Just looking for decent quality metal end cap filters.Instead i get a few people trying to push what i don't want.(cardboard in my filters)
Cardboard belongs in boxes,not engines.

Okay. Repeat after me...

FIBER/FELT. They have FIBER/FELT on their end caps. Have you EVER taken a Fram filter apart your self? Most of the "cardboard" is based on the biased spew that goes on the internet.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Yep, Youtube is where I go for factual unbiased infomation.

You know the point i was getting at bill,your a smart individual.
56.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back