Liquimoly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40

I wonder if this LM oil is fully synthetic, or is it a Group 3 base stock oil.

Edit: the German language spec sheet does not state that this is a fully synthetic oil!! This is the google translation:
"Modern, top-class, smooth-running motor oil for the year-round use in petrol and Diesel engines without a diesel particulate filter (DPF). The Combination of unconventional base oils Synthesis technology with the latest Additive technology guarantee an engine oil that
Reduces oil and fuel consumption and for a rapid oiling of the engine. Depending onOil change intervals can be specified by the manufacturer of up to 40,000 km."

Here's the US spec sheet: "Top class fully synthetic, all-season motor oil for superior performance and long engine life. For gasoline and diesel vehicles without particulate filters (GPF/DPF). Exceeds strict test requirements specified by major manufacturers. Safe with catalytic converters and turbochargers. Use with extended oil change intervals as per manufacturer."

As you may know it's illegal in Germany to state that an oil is "synthetic" when it's a group 3 base stock. It is ok in the US to state that it's "synthetic" when it's a group 3 base stock. Years ago Mobil was sued in a US court because it claimed that Mobil 1 was synthetic even though it's a group 3 base stock that had been hydrocracked and the resulting polymers "re-assembled" into a "synthetic" oil. Mobil won the court case. However, a similar suit in a German court ended with the ruling that Mobil's process to create a "synthetic" oil does not result in a truly synthetic oil.

Ruling: this LM is not a true synthetic oil in the German sense of the phrase!
Yes, this is well known for the Leichtlauf High Tech. Only a few of their oils can be labeled "Vollsynthetisches" in Germany - just look at the bottles on their European site. One is the Synthoil Energy 0W40 but it doesn't carry much in the way of approvals (only recommended for which is really just fine here)....not sure it's worth running over the Group 3 LLHT (Synthesetechnologie) that has LL01/VW502/A40 etc.
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG

• Haha
Reactions: hrv
The synthetic oils today are so good, it doesn't have to be a pure fully synthetic. It's all a matter of money.

Reactions: hrv
Yes, this is well known for the Leichtlauf High Tech. Only a few of their oils can be labeled "Vollsynthetisches" in Germany - just look at the bottles on their European site. One is the Synthoil Energy 0W40 but it doesn't carry much in the way of approvals (only recommended for which is really just fine here)....not sure it's worth running over the Group 3 LLHT (Synthesetechnologie) that has LL01/VW502/A40 etc.
View attachment 154954View attachment 154955
I think Synthoil Energy has been rebranded as Synthoil A40 or similar since LM had it approved for Porsche A40.

For some weird reason I have always wanted to try the 0W40 LM...maybe I'll do it this year.

Ok I see it now. Synthoil Energy A40. Interesting. Aimed at the Porsche folks.

Interesting that the TBN is a bit lower than LM shows on their most recent spec sheet (11.3 vs. BS's 9.2) and the viscosity @ 100C is a bit different too (13.5 vs. 14)..close. I just wanted real-world starting points to tweak my OCIs.

View attachment 19503
May as well buy some ST from wallyworld and save a ton of money

May as well buy some ST from wallyworld and save a ton of money.
How can I save a ton of money when I get it free from FCP Euro? Also, ST doesn't make a Euro oil.

Nothing by LM Leichtlauf HT 5W40 in a buddy's Alltrack.

Capture2.JPG

Curious, have you done any oil analysis’s on the API SP revision of the Leichtlauf? Judging by the dates on their spec sheets and the VOA post, I’m assuming this wasn’t the API SP one. Asking out of curiosity. My AAP has a deal on LM and when looking at the jug I noticed their stock was API SP. (yes I took advantage of it)

Back